Sub forums - Input?

caserri

Do you think the sub forum idea is useful?  

1. 1. Do you think the sub forum idea is useful?

• Yes, I love it!
    • No, bring back the old format.
    • I like it but....(post explanation)

Well, there you go folks. I added sub forums to the bulk section in an effort to segregate like topics and make things easier to find. I was wondering what you all think of this? I thought it would be a good idea but I'm beginning to wonder if it just complicates things more. I'm finding that now we have 4 places to read posts in stead of just one.

Am I nit picking? Do you all find this format easy to navigate? I'm willing to keep it as is for a while in hopes that it will grow on me but I just don't know.

Let me know what you all think. You guys are the boss. If you don't think its beneficial I can go back to how it was.

Steve

Come on guys, don't be shy! Let me know what you think about it. I'll keep it "as is" for a few days but after that I'm going to comply with the vote majority.

Steve 

It works for me. One thing I would like is vending blogs. That's actually how I found Vendiscuss, through the candyman blog. It's nice to read other peoples experiences. I guess after, "I serviced my machines, collected my quarters, and placed a machine", maybe it would be old but I enjoyed reading about his start and expansion plans.

Beth

Steve,

I think you need something that helps to organize all the information on this site so what you did is a good thing. I still think there needs to be a clearer path to the subject categories that are on the forums.

If you are new to the site, (which I am sure is what you want) then it may be difficult to figure out exactly where to look first.

I have been on it just about everyday since I joined so once you read and post a few comments you know how to get back to where you left off during your last visit.

Maybe some sort of search dropdown menu that shows you all the topics so that if you are new and don't know the terminolgy for vending you can find what you want in laymans terms.

I think getting it down to easily understood categories will not be an easy task.

Gary

It works for me. One thing I would like is vending blogs. That's actually how I found Vendiscuss, through the candyman blog. It's nice to read other peoples experiences. I guess after, "I serviced my machines, collected my quarters, and placed a machine", maybe it would be old but I enjoyed reading about his start and expansion plans.

Beth

the individual blogs are a waste of space!  you see how much they get used. they dont get updated.

i think you can find out all of the same things in many of the threads that are posted in daily.

Well all right then, tell me how you really feel. ;) It's true blogs are a drag if they're not current but it's something I enjoy. It's not just about the facts, to me it feels more personal if I know one persons experience. 

Beth

wasnt trying to be rude beth. i think i was still just in a state of confusion from the sub forums.:shock:

Thanks for the input. It seems we are 50/50 so far.

I agree with you Gary on a "clearer path" The sub cats can be changed if anyone can think of some that would be more descriptive.

Pusherman, I agree with you completely, I'm confused as hell too and I run the joint! :shock: I thought It would be easy to segregate everything into those 3 basic sub cats but upon reviewing all the topics, I found a ton that just don't belong anywhere or could belong to more than one!

Steve

i am confused as hell.

can i just click on the bulk vending section and still read ALL posts in that category or do i have to go to all 3 individually?

i prefer the old way,  but i dont care i guess i will figure out the new system.

Just to clarify, If you click on the "Bulk Vending" section, It will bring up all of the general un-categorized topics and the 3 sub categories will be listed at the top of that page. From there you can go to which ever category interests you, whether it be "Machines", "Products", or "Locating".

Or you can view the sub cats directly from the main page. To answer your question though, A post will only show up in one place. Either "Bulk Vending", or one of the other 3 sub cats. Whichever is the most appropriate category.

Steve

I think a testing period would be a good idea. Say 30 days for people to get used to the new system and then take another vote.

As for the stuff you're having a hard time classifying, maybe a 4th sub category called Grab Bag or Miscellaneous or ?

Beth

Thanks for the input Beth. Yea thats what I think we will do. As far as the unclassified go, I just left them here in the general bulk section. If anyone sees anything that needs to be moved, let me know.

Steve

I think you should add sub-forum listings in places like the library of e-books and the polling place because the topics are clearly defined lists and it would be nice to just look at the main category topic name and see all the sub forums inside those categories.

I think because there are just so many topics being created everyday, and there are some that just go for a short while, that you can't give everything a sub forum listing.

Maybe, if a topic has over 20+ responses it would qualify to have its own sub forum listing. The rest of the conversation within the forums is just that, conversations about all different topics. That's what makes it so much fun. It's like we are all one big vending family. We help each other in so many ways each time we get on this site.

Just a few more thoughts...

Gary

I favor the old-way, Steve.  I (and I suspect most other users here) probably will now scan all 3 to watch discussions.  For instance, I don't come in and think 'I'd like to read something on locating today'.  But of course we'll post in the correct category.  So I think what the new change does is A.  Make it more challenging to read the Bulk threads currently going.  B.  Make it a bit easier to find one particular thread.

Just my 2(5) cents.

-Lucero

I think this is a good start. I think that as we get used to this new format we will have some ideas that could make things less confusing for existing and new members. I say we go with this and throw out some more ideas as we see things that can be adjusted. I like the idea of sub categories and different areas to find / post info. If we all work with this for a while we can figure out what works and what doesn't.

David

I like the old file better at this point. I look at all the post every time I log on. I don't read to find individual posts on locating etc.

If there was a data base or an archive set up similar to BVA where the posts could be sorted and stored that would probably be helpful.

Ted

All great points!

Ted, I like your archive idea. Can you expand on how that would work?

Gary, I also like your idea on categorizing topics with 20+ posts. Maybe call it an "Active Topic" category?

I'm just trying to make everything here easier to find while keeping an eye on the future as well. Our forum is just over 4 months old and I never would have thought I would have to consider this type of thing at this point.

I'm not complaining though! :D

Steve

I gotta get used to it.  In theory sub forums are a good idea. Breaking out topics into machine type, route issues, products, and stuff like that makes sense otherwise its just one big thing.  What I liked about the old system was I could click BULK and see ALL the posts from today if I scrolled down to it.  That part was good.  But I think its wise to break them into category.  I have a feeling this will be more important as we grow and move forward.

My opinion was asked for on the sub cats, at first I did not have one as I had mistakenly believed that all posts were under the main category and the sub category. Well I prefer the old way as I'm not that organized nor is my memory that good to remember all the threads I was following with interest. I read 3 or 4 categories a day religiously, others as time allows. With this new layout I may miss something (I know get a life, but this is how I relax, as a small business owner I'm always working plus family time this is my time in an area I'm interested in)

Grumpy

Archived