Gumball Locations

davidsurvz

Hey Guys,

Just curious to get some opinions / advice on the best places to locate single head gumball machines. I am thinking of making that the majority of my fleet (at least for now, that seems to be the cheapest / most profitable way to build up our route) Anyone have suggestions on the best locations for single gumball machines???

Thanks,

David

I am experimenting with a couple of different singles right now. I have 1 Pro-Line from: http://www.candymachines.com and I am waiting for 2 singles from Beaver. The Pro-lines are $95 with stand and the Beavers are about $140 with stand. The Pro-line looks pretty good for the price. It even has a coin tray which makes taking the coins out easiler than most singles. It has the some coin mech. as the 1800 machines. It also has the same key and lock.

Note: Check them both out. Candymachines.com advertises at the bottom of the forums and I think they are giving 10% off all machines until the end of the year.

Gary

Ok, let me rephrase the question. What type of locations can you sell the most gumballs in??

I will be trying to build up my route with mostly single gumball machines and some 1800's at my locations that will support a triple. I am wondering what locations are great for selling gumballs??

Does anyone know of certain types of locations that always do well with selling gumballs.....

Thanks,

David

Ok, let me rephrase the question. What type of locations can you sell the most gumballs in??

David

I do only gumballs and my top performers are mexican restaurants, tattoo parlours and automotive repair places.  Those types of locations have all been on my worst performing location list as well.  So the lesson I've learned is that the type of location doesn't really matter... except that I've never had any luck in nail or hair solons.  Barber shops do well, but hair solons do not. 

But as always, YMMV.

Really any location works for gumballs.  Obviously the higher the customer count the better.

One important piece of demographic data is that gum and candy sell better in black and hispanic neighborhoods than in white neighborhoods.

• Like 1

Do you think that different ethnic groups have the same purchasing patterns?

Do you think that supermarkets in white neighborhoods carry exactly the same products as those in asian, hispanic and black neighborhoods? Or any other store for that matter. Clothing? Music?

Why should our machines be any different.

Perhaps you should ask a soda machine vendor  where he sells more soda. In black neighborhoods. For whateber reason, there are fewer customers that are watching their sugar intake.

If you sell Toys, novelties and stickers you better be able to cater to your customers also.

• Like 1

I can see soda selling big time in the inner city compared to other areas but not candy at least when it comes to the kids and adolescent populations Smiley. Perhaps the adults I can understand there could be a difference.

:shock:

Kids are kids.  They all like sugary treats and toys.  I have never had a child or adult for that matter check their skin color, race, ethnic background, or religion before buying a gumball from my machine.  Children are amazing, they are pure until certain adults begin to place their own ignorant views of the world into their heads.  I am going to stop here because this is a forum about vending and NOTHINGelse.

Tee

new2this wrote:

:shock:

Kids are kids.  They all like sugary treats and toys.  I have never had a child or adult for that matter check their skin color, race, ethnic background, or religion before buying a gumball from my machine.  Children are amazing, they are pure until certain adults begin to place their own ignorant views of the world into their heads.  I am going to stop here because this is a forum about vending and NOTHINGelse.

Tee

tee i think you might think that smiley was saying something that i dont think he was. he was not saying anything about race other than what neighborhoods sell more candy. i dont think that he was trying to be some kind of racist or whatever.

fact is he is right. probably 90% of my machines, wether they be gumball/candy, stickers/tats,pushers or anything else are in mostly hispanic or black areas. your area could be very different, but i put my equipment in the locations that are going to make me the most money.

maybe i missed something but i dont think he said anything about children not being pure or amazing.

I agree. I think Smiley was just pointing out an obvious, (or not so obvious) fact about selling products to the correct demographic. There are companies out there who study this type of thing for large corporations. They get paid handsomely to figure out what types of products sell better to what ethnic group. Savvy companies and sales persons shouldn't be considered racists for using that information to sell more products.

Steve 

I'm gonna have to stand up for Smiley here. It doesn't mean you're a bigot if you notice differences in races or ethnicities. Logically it should go without saying that there are differences between races and ethnicities.

Take something innocous like prefered grain. Most first generation people from or in asia prefer rice. Most Anglo people prefer wheat in the form of bread and most first generation spanish speaking people prefer corn in the form of tortillas.  It is not bigotry or racisism to notice such differences.

There are differences between the three races and there are differences between the many ethnicities. It is just politically correct  B.S. to say that everybody is the same.  Tom 

Perhaps you should ask a soda machine vendor  where he sells more soda. In black neighborhoods. For whateber reason, there are fewer customers that are watching their sugar intake.

I'm with the rest of you about the (possible) performance difference in ethnic neighborhods for certain products.  That cultural phenomemon is well known and accepted.  However I am leaning torward other's points of view of what Smiley feels in his heart based on his language choice in this post here.  The language is abrasive and derogatory, and the rest of his post had a very defensive tone to it, when all that was said is 'I'm scratching my head on that one'.  

Hopefully I'm wrong.  I'm confident that the forum wouldn't tolerate any obvious racism though, so I think a non-issue.

suppose i told you that smiley was an african american, now reread his post and tell me there is something wrong with it. ithink some people WANT something to be wrong with it.

he was making a VERY VALID point that has to do with our business. if you do not agree, that is fine.

i am a white guy that will not put machines in an upper class area.(notice i did not say black, white, hispanic, asian, etc.) they do not do nearly as well for me. i go where the quarters are.

disclaimer... i know nothing about smiley, i was using him as an example to prove a point.

suppose i told you that smiley was an african american, now reread his post and tell me there is something wrong with it. ithink some people WANT something to be wrong with it.

he was making a VERY VALID point that has to do with our business. if you do not agree, that is fine.

i am a white guy that will not put machines in an upper class area.(notice i did not say black, white, hispanic, asian, etc.) they do not do nearly as well for me. i go where the quarters are.

disclaimer... i know nothing about smiley, i was using him as an example to prove a point.

And if we play it that way, does that mean it confirms and strengthens my perception if he turns out to be other than black?  I'm certainly not arguing about the facts of what he was discussing, I'm only offering my perception of how it was presented.  I certainly could be wrong, as I'm going off of a few sentences.

EDIT: Grammar is a cruel mistress.

• Like 1

I wasn't calling him anything.  I do not know him.  I do not agree with his views and the tone in which he expressed them.  You are right but also wrong.  I pick locations based on profit margin and not ethnicity.  That was my point.  I mainly have a route where adults are my biggest customers.  My best selling candy is PMM's and Mike -n- Ikes.  I just did not feel his comment regarding ethnic neighborhoods was appropriate on a forum about vending.  If you choose a location based on ethnicity you are losing as well.  In my route and only speaking about "my route", if I chose a location based on ethnicity I wouldn't make any money.  Regarding soda/snack vending, I cannot comment because I concentrate on bulk vending.  However, I use to work on Wall Street (Manhattan, NY) and the vending machines went in the breakrooms and most of the soda and snacks were consumed by wealthy white men with a sweet tooth and other ethnic groups as well (God I wish I had those locations).  As for for that comment I believe we are all the same,  I hope not, this is America.  Our differences and likes is what makes us human.

Let me just caution everyone here before this can is completely opened and we are all dining on worm souffle.

I would hope that everyone here knows that racist comments are unacceptable. On this board or anywhere else for that matter.  While everyone is entitled to their viewpoint on this, lets try to remember what the original question was and provide accurate responses.

Steve

what did i spell wrong or use out of context since you brought it up?

Nono silly bear, I edited my post, so I added the EDIT: Grammar etc tagline to let everyone know what I edited... my own grammar. :P  I wasn't implying you made errors.

Lucero wrote:

what did i spell wrong or use out of context since you brought it up?

Nono silly bear, I edited my post, so I added the EDIT: Grammar etc tagline to let everyone know what I edited... my own grammar. :P  I wasn't implying you made errors.

i wasnt accusing, only asking. i am no literary genious. i dont even think that literary is spelled right.

i wasnt accusing, only asking. i am no literary genious. i dont even think that literary is spelled right.

It was a total witch hunt, why do you hate my life? :shock:

Hey to break the tension...

Q:  What do you call a black man with a commercial pilot's license?