Gumball Locations

davidsurvz

caserri wrote:

Let me just caution everyone here before this can is completely opened and we are all dining on worm souffle.

I would hope that everyone here knows that racist comments are unacceptable. On this board or anywhere else for that matter.  While everyone is entitled to their viewpoint on this, lets try to remember what the original question was and provide accurate responses.

Steve

understood. i do think this is a good topic to discuss and alot of times it does not get discussed in the "real" world. i do think it can be discussed on here with out anyone getting out of line.

caserri wrote:

Let me just caution everyone here before this can is completely opened and we are all dining on worm souffle.

I would hope that everyone here knows that racist comments are unacceptable. On this board or anywhere else for that matter.  While everyone is entitled to their viewpoint on this, lets try to remember what the original question was and provide accurate responses.

Steve

understood. i do think this is a good topic to discuss and alot of times it does not get discussed in the "real" world. i do think it can be discussed on here with out anyone getting out of line.

Agreed.  It is a pertinent topic.  On it, does anyone have any anecdotal evidence about what sort of candies are preferred in Mexican neighborhoods?  I live in New Mexico, and there are a lot of 1st & 2nd generation immigrants here.  I know that in Mexico they have a lot of salty & sweet candy.  Obviously the culture does have a lot of heat in their foods, and some of that does spill over into their native confection (I've seen jalepeno lollipops and chili-flavored gum).  Would Hot Tamales be the recommendation, or would that demo prefer PMMs like everyone else in the universe?  I have at least 15 mexican restaurants within a mile of me.

So, back to my original question.......................

Does anyone have any good advice on what types of locations to pursue for single head gumball machines?:huh:

Honestly?  The best locations are the ones that will let you place a machine.  I have locations that do great, and I have similar locations that do awful.  I had one hair solon that did $1.50 a month, and one that does $12.50.  I have a mexican restaurant that does $80 a month and one that does $4.00.  Both are the same 'kind' of location,  but both are obiously not the same.

So you may be less interested in what is over the door, and more interrested in how many people go through it.

Wow, I come back from my route and see that I've kicked up quite a storm over here with one of my first posts on the forum.

Let me start over by introducing myself. I'm a 41 year old (white) male who has worked in a family run bulk vending machine business since I was 13 (if you include summers).  My family has been doing this for a living since 1966. We have other 4000 machines in over 400 locations in 4 states. We have been active in the NBVA since 1987.

So why am I posting on a message board that seems to be oriented towards people looking to get started in the industry. Well, our industry is at an historical low point right now. Sales are down, expenses are up and as far as getting new business is concerned the market is somewhat saturated. In an effort to rethink what we are doing (merchandise-wise) I decided to google something like "best selling bulk vending merchandise" and ended up here.

I think that you guys have an interesting little community here and I found some of the posts informative and refreshing. I decided if there was ever a chance for me to contribute something, I would. This topic came up and I responded.

I am about to say something that is not opinion, but fact:

The gum and candy in our machines, on a per capita basis, sell better in black neighborhoods than white neighborhoods.

As a businessman I really don't care why the above is true, but it is. As a businessman, try to make your decisions based on facts.

I am not going to defend myself against charges of racism (But some of my best friends are ........) because it's a no win situation especially with a bunch of strangers.

I am assuming that the original poster to this thread is someone with limited resources to start his route. My reply was an attempt to suggest that all other things being equal (How busy is the location?, commission rate?, security of the machines?) look for some locations in black neighborhoods. If that makes me a racist, so be it.

Well welcome to the forum Smiley!:D It is a pleasure to have you here. I hope that you continue to participate here as your experience level will undoubtedly be a great asset to the community.

I hope to see a formal introduction from you in the welcome section because there are some great questions I would like to ask but I do not want to hijack this thread any more than it already has been.

Once again, thanks for joining up!

Steve

I tend to agree about the demographics. I have witnessed this myself.  I do experiment with different types of locations. Having been in transportation for 35 years I have an edge on getting into those type locations. One of my best is a well known truck rental.

Another great location is new car dealers. You have a captive audience in the waiting room. Another plus is the sales staff. They are always concerned about their breath.

Note to Casseri:  Think about that one for your D-Ice machines.

Note to Casseri:  Think about that one for your D-Ice machines.

Way ahead of you on that. I feel auto dealerships Will do well with the DI. All of the ones around me already have the standard PMM or GB. No one has the DI... Yet.

Steve

David, I have a bunch of these out and also some 4 & 5' spirals. the best places i have found are anyplace with kids and high traffic, grocery stores, markets, theatres, bowling ally. There are 2 ways to go on these that works good.

1- set them up running 2 gumballs for 1 and use double bubble or bubble king , make sure the display card is marked 2 for .25 cents or it wont work

2- set them up for single vend but use a variety like splats or fruit stand.

Jimbo