BOOK THREAD

pusherman

read any good books lately? i read the new trump book "think big and kick golpher" it was good, but i like trump.

I do not enjoy any of Trump's books personally.  I find them to be too muchfluff/bragging and too little info... but I like The Donald too :)

I am reading an excellent book on hypnosis right now entitled 'Training Trances: Multi-Level Communication'.   An excerpt:

"This book has been written, loosely speaking, holographically.  This means that, in most cases, any section you read will be representative of the whole.  Each section of the training contains within it the basic presuppositions of the entire book.  On a second level, how we teach each section will be representative of what we are teaching in the training.  On a third level, how we have written each section is representative of how we are teaching, which is representative of what we are teaching.  The book is an example of multi-level communication conveyed through the single medium of the written word."

On the motivation-front, I like the Rich dad series very much.  I definitely recommend that to anyone interested in wealth building (although invariably, people want to disregard books like that for a technique-based book :-P)

• 3 years later...

I've read the rich dad stuff, but I like fiction more.

My newest favorite sci-fi author is Peter F. Hamilton.  I've read all his stuff.  The latest Void series is the greatest.

I also like mystery.  My favorite authors there are Robert Crais, John Sanford but mostly Michael Connelly.

Over the past couple of years or so I've been going back through my "library" and reading oldies, but goodies.

Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, A Man For All Seasons (and Utopia of course), Siddhartha, 1984 (Currently finishing up for the third time), TheTempest, Brave New World, The Catcher in the Rye, etc.

I was a PoliSci and History major so I'm always picking around my collections of those texts too, but never read one cover to cover. I'm always looking for something I'm trying to connect or make a point.

A three year old thread, but hey, why not.

I just finished "The E-Myth Revisited" by  Michael Gerber.

I recently read "The Automatic Millionaire Homeowner" by Bach and liked it as well. 

I'm really into Kiyosaki, Investing books, and books on money.  One of my favorites is "The Millionaire Next Door" by Robert Stanley and Danko.

I'm hoping to get "The 80/20 Principal" for Christmas.  I've been wanting to read that one for a while.

A three year old thread, but hey, why not.

I just finished "The E-Myth Revisited" by  Michael Gerber.

I recently read "The Automatic Millionaire Homeowner" by Bach and liked it as well. 

I'm really into Kiyosaki, Investing books, and books on money.  One of my favorites is "The Millionaire Next Door" by Robert Stanley and Danko.

I'm hoping to get "The 80/20 Principal" for Christmas.  I've been wanting to read that one for a while.

If you like the investing books and get rich books, you prolly like "The richest man in Babylon" by George Samuel Clason.  It is a favorite of mine.

I haven't read it, but intended to.  It is one of a group of books given out free, (in pdf format,) when people join lifestyles unlimited.  They do charge for their "real" membership, but they have a free membership, and a radio show broadcast in Texas that they podcast for free.

I am making a few assumptions in posting this:

The Richest Man in Babylon.pdf

On a more serious note, I just picked up The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.  Waited a while for paperback version.

I mostly read online or magazines. Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Smart Money, Money Magazine.

A favorite online site of mine is the Boglehead forum.http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php?sid=91658baa841c8721ce87bcf491a2508e

It is almost as good as The VENDiscuss Forums.

I haven't read it, but intended to.  It is one of a group of books given out free, (in pdf format,) when people join lifestyles unlimited.  They do charge for their "real" membership, but they have a free membership, and a radio show broadcast in Texas that they podcast for free.

I am making a few assumptions in posting this:

I was, for awhile, a member of a group called Lifestyles Unlimited in Houston.  It is a real estate entrepreneur training group.  Is this the same one you are speaking of?  If so, I never did get a pdf copy of the book from them.  However I did find a free pdf copy on the web, but I found that it was abridged.  The full version is of course, much better.

I was, for awhile, a member of a group called Lifestyles Unlimited in Houston.  It is a real estate entrepreneur training group.  Is this the same one you are speaking of?  If so, I never did get a pdf copy of the book from them.  However I did find a free pdf copy on the web, but I found that it was abridged.  The full version is of course, much better.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the same people. They have a radio show locally that I've listened to a few times and they have mentioned an office in Houston and Dallas. I am planning to attend their intro seminar in a couple of months and look into their program. Are you still a member? If not, why, if you don't mind sharing?

As for books, I was going to mention The richest man in Babylon as well.

Think and grow Rich is another classic.

Yes, this is the group I was talking about.  I don't know if the copy they have in pdf is abridged or not, but I wouldn't doubt it.  I do know Amazon has a Kindle copy for $3.99.  And you can get Kindle software free for the PC.

They also include Think & Grow Rich, and Ben Franklyn's Autobiography, And put a little advertising in the front of these things.

Were you a paid member, or a lite member, and what was your opinion of everything?  I get the impression that if I just listen to their radio show podcasts that I will learn everything I need to, although having a "mentor" they talk about getting does sound beneficial, though I live outside of Texas, and it is always possible to find a mentor without joining a club.  What was your opinion of everything?

I was a member for a year, back in 2004.  The real estate market had not yet taken a dive.  The problem I found is that it takes alot of capital to get into the real estate market, and I just didn't have it.  I basically went from real estate, to vending.  I find vending to be much more rewarding.

Yes, this is the group I was talking about.  I don't know if the copy they have in pdf is abridged or not, but I wouldn't doubt it.  I do know Amazon has a Kindle copy for $3.99.  And you can get Kindle software free for the PC.

They also include Think & Grow Rich, and Ben Franklyn's Autobiography, And put a little advertising in the front of these things.

Were you a paid member, or a lite member, and what was your opinion of everything?  I get the impression that if I just listen to their radio show podcasts that I will learn everything I need to, although having a "mentor" they talk about getting does sound beneficial, though I live outside of Texas, and it is always possible to find a mentor without joining a club.  What was your opinion of everything?

It cost about $400 for a yearly membership, and you could attend their weekend seminars with Del Walmsy (sp).  It also gave you access to a 3rd party website that would be able to give you the historic valuation of any property in the area.  Beyond that, there was lots of good information.  Their focus was on buying houses and turning them into rental properties.  You basically cultivate a relationship with a list of Realtors that would call you first before they call any other buyer, so that you can get the first refusal on any new property that became available.  This was before the bottom fell out of the real estate market.  I don't know if it would be harder, or easier to do it today.  I was never able to be successful at it.

Archived