No Soliciting

Beer980

Ok I finally have some free time yesterday and try to locate some more of my machines. One of the manufacturing plants I hit has 75-100 workers. I go into the visitor lobby and there is no receptinist. There is a sign that states "Find the person you want to see and call their extension number on the list". So I see several people on the list in the HR dept but notice another sign off to the right of the lobby. "No Soliciting" How would you veterans handle this? Do I just call and see how it goes? They must have a sizeable break/lunch room and someone must at least have a soda machine in there right? I can't just leave a letter because they will never get it. The worker entrance is on the other side of the building.

Well I have only placed a couple units myself---have a hard time with it.  I almost always use a locator (and the in-person locator I used once didn't acknowledge the signs). 

At one of the locations I asked and received permission, I didn't even notice the sign until I went back the next day :D and placed the unit (so glad I didn't see it because I would probably have turned chicken and left).  Of all my 35 locations it is my best one by far.

So go for it,

Ginger Vend

The "No Soliciting" signs are mean't usually for purposes that most of us don't rcognize. A manufacturing plant gets deluged with carton salesmen, janitorial supply, etc. All the usual stuff that these operations purchase.

How many vendors do you think they hear from ?

Craig

I once saw a sign in an insurance shop that read "No soliciting.  Violators will be sold insurance!".  I thought that was funny.  I didn't try to place one there because I don't think that insurance shops are good locations.  But I generally don't pay any attention to those signs.  What are they going to do?  Arrest you?  The worst they can say is 'no'.  I get 'no' all the time, so it's no biggie for me.

The manufacturing / warehouse facilities I attempted to locate in I just found someone in the work area and asked who I would talk to about placing my machine. I got a name and then went into the office and asked to speak with that person. I haven't gotten a location yet but I did get a maybe (which fizzled out into nothing)  That usually gives me an edge when going into a place like that.

PS when it comes to what we do........ ignore the sign.

David

I agree with Craig.  You are not selling them anything. Just a free service to them.  I have placed several machines in locations with a No soliciting sign with 3 " lettering.  What do you have to lose if they say no.  I always feel much better when a location owner / manager says No than if I don't even ask.

Good Luck,

Art

Yea I would have tried that David but you cant get to the area where anyone is. I guess maybe a 75,000+ sqft building. I will have to go back and try next week. I just had this picture flash onto my head of a person having a bad day and going "Can't you read the sign you idiot" I had been sick for the last 4 days and I was just getting over it so mind was wandering I think. Maybe I will get the one down the street on Monday when I check back with them. It turns out that they are a big supporter of my charity so I think that may help.

The "No Soliciting" signs are for those guys and gals that solicit, (SELL). We don't solicit. We are just looking to place a free vending machine in their place of business. We are helping their employee's by letting them grab a snack when they get hungry. They won't have to leave the building to find food. They will stay on the job longer each day, etc. See, we really are helping them out.

You look like you found a real winner with loads of employee's. Go back when you are feeling better and get in there!

Gary

I went back this week and talked to one of the HR girls on their phone at the desk. She told me to leave the flyer on the desk and they will go over it in the monthly HR meeting. If they decide to go with it they will call me back. I did leave a flyer at the 40+ auto parts warehouse next door and have to recall them to see about placing. I also need to hit the 100+ Carquest DC down the street. The reciever I was delivering to the other day said the lady that has the candy machines now in the break room has old candy in them. He was in a bad mood and I was unable to get a contact info so I will have to play the bad candy angle when I hit them up. I do have a few good plants right in that industrial park but having no luck as of yet. Next door to this place is another 100+ cabinet factory plus a 75+ window factory and 35+ fire truck aftermarket place down the street. I call all three everyday to speak to the HR people but can't reach them. All have flyers and a business card but how busy can a HR person be?

Agreed. Don't count on them calling you back. If you want the location just keep showing up until you get a definite answer. If the answer turns out to be no ask if you can check back with them in a few months.

Good luck,

Philo