Unplugging machine at night

Hey gang,

is it bad if a location unplugs your machine everynight? Is this going to affect the compressor of a soda machine? I got a lead on a location but they say they unplug their current soda machine each night. I have a Dixie Narco 501e

Personally I would not want my machines to be unplugged at night, it will have to run for  awhile in the morning to re-cool all of the sodas

probally uses more electricity then if they left it plugged in.

I would pass on that location myself

seriously?? they're that cheap? isn't it going to affect the beverages, getting warm and cold every day? that seems kind of ridiculous... plus in the morning, people are going to get warm drinks if they use it too early...

I have a few locations that are on timers, if you have new machines installed you should be able to set the timer through the control board settings. If the machine really wont cool down all that much overnight so it will not work as hard as you may think early in the morning to coll back down.

I have a few locations that are on timers, if you have new machines installed you should be able to set the timer through the control board settings. If the machine really wont cool down all that much overnight so it will not work as hard as you may think early in the morning to coll back down.

My thoughts exactly. Unpluged overnight shouldn`t make the compressor work any harder than filling a half empty machine.

The soda will still be pretty cool if it is a newer machine or a machine with good door seals. Also just keep up on the compressor maintenance and the life of it should be the same as any other. 

You might ask them why they unplug the machine.  If it is a concern about electricity you might just put a timer on the door which will turn off the lights at night or you can put a energy miser on your machine.  The light will turn off until someone approaches the machine.  It will sense the movement and turn on.

Blue Moose

• 10 months later...

Hey guys!

Is everyone still in agreement that unplugging the machine at night will not damage the compressor or computer? They are going to unplug it whether I like it or not.

Wow, this post is all over the place. To answer your question, No, it should not damage the compressor in itself. A thermostat kills the 110v going to the machine to control the temp and unplugging it will give the same effect. Now plugging it in after sitting all night will make the compressor work harder but there is the mindset that once it starts it is more efficient on a longer run cycle then a short start and stop. And then there are others that believe that along cycle is bad as the compressor has more time to overheat. I have not seen any studies that prove either theory either way.

I personally like a longer run cycle and do believe that there will be some savings if the machine is off for at least 8 hrs.

Tell them you'll put a timer on it. I wouldn't let them touch the machine's power supply. If they forget to plug it back in, that's lost revenue for you. A machine that's not plugged in during business hours won't make you any money.

Is it possible for condensation to pool outside the machine?

There should be a pan in the bottom of the machine to catch the condensation and allow it to evaporate. If there is too much condensation then the pan will overflow and that's when you will see a pool of water around the machine.

Right and my concern is the constant unplugging would eventually overwhelm the pan..

You can put some large sponges in the pan and set them up vertically to increase the surface area and increase evaporation. Even add a small 5 inch fan to increase air flow if needed

On the other hand........ maybe if they have to mop up water from the machine every day after you explain the cause

(condensation caused by warm air on cold cans) then maybe they will leave it alone and not unplug it all the time. :o

Right and my concern is the constant unplugging would eventually overwhelm the pan..

Do not get to hung up on the unplugging. It is simply an interruption of power. To the compressor it is the same as being shut off by the thermostat. It will not increase the condensation.

Archived