Vending right out of the truck + Snow Cones?

HI Guys,

Had something interesting happen to me the other day that made me think of other ways to make $$ in what we do....

I got a call the other day from my helper saying that a customer wanted an estimate for a job ( I do

lawn care and vending....just now my helper takes care of  the lawns...while I vend...he'll learn vending this winter).

I was going to go back home to get the pick up truck to look more "professional" but since that would have taken extra time I just decided to do the estimate while driving the snack truck (besides I had my lawn care shirt on anyways).

Anyways, as I rolled up to the estimate site, there was a bunch of kids playing....when they read the side of the truck (says snacks etc...). they ran towards the truck and stared asking questions....

I told them I was there to do a lawn care estimate and that the snacks / candies cost $$....when I said that the kids ran off (I figured they wanted freebies which I wasn't going to do)...

Anyways, half way into my estimate, the same group of kidscan running back with wads of cash in their hands....turns out they didn't run away because they didn't want to pay but rather to run home to get $$ to buy cakes and candies!

All of a sudden a little light went off in my head....How about driving around like an ice cream truck

(Yes,  I am even thinking of getting the music to go along with it!)....and selling product right off the truck...

Only thing I won't do tho is the ice cream itself (possibly too much waste there and too much space).....BUT then another thought popped into my mind....SNO CONES! (I've done research into this possibility and it almost seems to be a good possibility)...little space needed and no real waste!

So what do you guys think?......I'll be vending probably 5 days a week (to fill machines)  BUT the extra $$ from PM sales or weekends seems interesting as well!.....

The van I drive in has PLENTY of room for the snow cone machine and supplies in addition to my normal supplies (chips, cakes, candies)...I have a 16' P30 step van BUT a 18' or more would probably be nicer..

Anybody else here do something similar?  Maybe this will inspire others to think of alternate ways to earn additional $$ in this tight economy.

Andrew

It seems like a god idea, however it would take a fair amount of buyers to make it profitable every time you drove around wouldn't you?  Snow cones can be very profitable, however remember they can be slow to produce and you have to have a freezer to hold the ice.  It would be kind of neat to cut a hole in the vehicle and mount a vending machine facing outwards. That would be so cool! Then you could focus on snow cone making, and it would even make you money while you weren't in the vehicle to sell.  Just make sure it is properly protected.

Good idea, and money in the bank.  I have a friend that does this exact same thing.  Except he does not drive around in his vehicle.  He actually has a pickup and has converted a 5 X 8 enclosed trailer into a snow cone stand by cutting out an ordering window that slides open.....runs off a generator and has equipped it with a/c and all.

When school is in he rotates between middle schools and high schools  and parks outside just before school lets out.....he CLEANS HOUSE.  Then on the weekend/summer time he parks across the street from the City pool and goes to baseball games ect ect.  He goes where the crowd goes....

Paid off his trailer and all the equip and made a little cash all in the first summer.  ( A little tip, he got the real nice snow cone maker with the SHAVED ice.......not crushed.....he also freezes his own ice in 1 gallon  plastic ice cream buckets.....def the way to go!)

HI,

Thanks for the replies so far.....I have looked into this further and even went so far as to talk w/ the local health dept (they will require 4 sinks in the truck! (a 3 sink for washing equipment  and a separate handwash sink.....not a biggie since eBay sells stuff premade for about $800....process takes about 2 or so weeks for plan approval then they have to look at the installation in person for approval.

I spoke w/ a previous ice cream guy (he also did hamburgers, hot dogs etc out of a converted ambulance but he said ice cream and snow cones were the biggest $$ makers)...he said that there  was big $$ in it if you hit the right spots... he made $300 in one hour during the Fourth of July before the fireworks (only reason he did not make more is because he said he was out of product (ice cream)  within the hour and the fireworkls were starting....he did not refill because he lived far away and did not want to interrupt people selling stuff while the show was going on) ....he is no longer in the biz because of health issues but said he'd be happy to help advise me on the ins and outs of the biz....

I can hardly wait to get my music box and just try with the current snacks I have on board! (pre packaged foods like the snacks, cakes and candies most of us full liners have anyways do not require health dept approval to sell....only foods that have to be prepared fall under the jurisdiction of the health dept).

As an aside I won't plan on running in too many neighborhoods until I get the Snow Cones going and plan on selling snow cones at each of my commercial stops when I fill the vending machines

(I will take the inventory and get the products needed to fill the snack machines while my helper is in the van hopefully selling snow cones the employees / students (for schools) / passers by  in the parking lot....Ice cream music and a 20 foot tall sky dancer should get some attention since most stops are in populated areas and by main roads.... 

I can hardly wait!

Andrew

Andy,

Love this topic and am looking forward to reading more. As I said in another thread, I used to run an ice cream truck back in the '90's. The money was unbelievable but I leased the truck from the operator so the profit wasn't all mine. It did show me the potential this business has.

I've been kicking around the thought of starting my own truck but never took the leap. Mostly due to startup costs, (truck). The short selling season in the northeast is also a roadblock for me.

• 1 year later...

bumping for somebody that lives in florida and would like to know if anybody has a snowcone truck business going, and what the startup would be

try road-food.com you may get better responses

Did anyone see the ice cream truck trick my truck tricked out on cmt. Was awesome. Had ice cream and bulk candy vending in it. And a change machine that would send kids change down a maze ice cream cone made out would wood & plexi glass. And added air bags to drop truck so little ones see the ice cream. And put in all electronic touch screen computer inventory system. And pre loaded gift cards as good as cash kids use and re load. Was awesome ice cream truck. Old p30 van as well.

Archived