Procedure to unjam DI coin mech

polecat

Should your coin mech become jammed as a result of a foriegn object, follow these steps to remove the dislodge the object:

1) Remove the machine head from the base, as you would when collecting your money

2) Lay the machine head on it's front. While looking inside, you will see two dark grey allen screws, one on each side of the coin mech.  Using a 3mm allen wrench, loosen both screws to the point that the mech can easily be removed from the front of the head (make sure the swivel piece on the right side is rotated up or down so it won't catch on the frame when removing the mech).

3) Holding the mech in your hand with the back facing you, disengage (flip up) the spring lever at the top. Next, locate the small coil spring in the lower left of the mech and disengage the end of the spring from the groove in the screw and remove the screw (there are no threads so you can just pull it out).

4) At this point, you should be able to freely spin the coin mech handle counter clockwise. Whatever is jammed in the coin slot should disengage by itself or you can easily remove it.

5) Once the object is removed, realign the coin slot to it's correct position, reinsert the small screw and place the end of the coil spring back in the slot, making sure the screw is completely in (you may have to slightly move the coin mech handle back in forth to ensure it's completely engaged).  Flip the sping lever at the top back down to its engaged position..  At this point, you should be able to turn the coin mech handle to the right and it will snap back to its correct position. You may also want to run a quarter through to ensure everything is clear.

6. Reinsert the mech and re-tighten the hex screws

Should you have any questions, please contact us at (800) 288-0958.

Holy macrel!:shock:  That's all there is to it?  Man oh man...........what a mess I made of my coin mech trying to get that plastic slug out.  I swear I have the mechanism in about 15-20 pieces.

Live and learn.

• 4 weeks later...

I continue to have a problem with setting the body of the DI machine correctly over all four sides of the base of the machine after having the body off to get the quarters out.  It always seems to go on 3 sides fine but a fourth side incorrectly.  So when that happens, I just make sure its the side no one can see in the back of the machine. Any thoughts on this Steve?

T-Bird:

This is not a problem that's commonly reported but you may try slightly bending in the edges of the mounting plate if you're really having a problem with this.  I usually have my hands at the base to feel for any overlap and can easily adjust in one direction or the other if it's not perfectly aligned.

Steve

• 2 months later...
Has anyone had an issue with quarters spilling out onto the floor when lifting the body of the DI machine off?  I am finding quarters are landing outside of the coin tray  and so when the body is lifted the quarters hit the floor.  I have tried turning the coin tray into another position etc.  It only goes on one way though.

Boy John, I wish I had that problem! Quarters spilling on the floor! Your cup runneth over! :shock:

Seriously though, I haven't experienced this with DI but I have had it happen to me with my LYPC machines. Don't know why though because they have rather large trays. When it first happened, I thought someone had actually laid my machine on its side then turned it upright again, causing the quarters to spill out. However, It has happened rather consistently with all my LYPC's in different locations so it's just something with the machine.

Steve

Johnny,

Make sure no one is shaking your DI machine. I find quarters on the sides of my 1800's when they are shaken by customers that are trying to get extra candy for their quarter. Does it happen to all your DI machines? You may also notice sort of candy dust on the inside of your globe if they are being shaken.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

I have had about 1/3 of the quarters fall outside of the coin tray on my DI machine. I figure it is part of the design flaw of vending machines in general. On a Vendstar I find a bunch on top of the candy chute where they seem to fall and pile up. I just remove each canister and brush them off before I empty the coin trays. My XYZ and Seaga triple seem to drop a few outside the coin tray as well.

It's more of an issue with how quickly the customer is turning the mech. If they really crank it, the coin will fly out of the mech and bounce around a few times and hopefully hit the tray. If the mech is turned normally, most quarters should find their way into the coin tray.

Steve

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to know if this problem has been solved?   Is there still issues with the DI getting stuck in the gumball wheel?  This is holding me back from giving DI a chance when I start my business next month.  If DI cost 8 cets a vend, I don't think capsules (on of that) would be wise.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse (and all):

The issue with the DI gum jamming in the wheel is caused by a slight swelling that can occur as the product ages. This swelling doesn't appear to be starting until the product is at least 12-14 months from the production date. If a piece of gum that has swollen falls into the hole at an exact perpendicular (flat across) angle with all 4 corners touching, it can get stuck in the hole.  This is something Cadbury hadn't anticipated as the product has never been sold in bulk before. We learning and adjusting as we go, like with all newer products.  The good news is that this has happened on a very small percent of machines, based on what's been reported.

Having said that, we just received an order of fresh product -- just produced about 2 weeks ago.  We also will be making available wheels with slightly larger holes that can be swapped with the regular wheels so if a lttle swelling does happen to occur,  the larger hole size will allow the larger gum to vend through and not get stuck.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Steve, spvg

(800) 288-0958