computer fritz

mainor5251

Computer has been down for a week and a half, been using blackberry. I know some of you guys are real computer savy so was wondering, I have net zero hi speed dial up (and yeah I know I need to switch to cable modem or something faster than dial up) the phone outlet checks ok, the phone cord checks ok and the modem checks ok when I query it. And I have even removed netzero software and re-installed it and still keep getting the same message popping up "the netzero software was unable to detect a dial tone. Any ideas?

Try unplugging the phone line from the computer, and plugging it into a phone, and testing if the cord and outlet is working.

Also you may want to check your modem.  Modems do go bad, or have a driver that gets corrupted, and needs to be reinstalled.

But this might be the message that you need to upgrade to a cable modem.  The day I switched, I knew it was worth it. 

There is an internet cartoon website I was visiting before I switched, and I would have to click on it, then go do something else while it was loading.  Being able to watch it without waiting was great.

Last night I just purchased some training videos, 500 megabytes worth, and while it did take a little more then 10 minutes, I figure dial up would have taken something like 27 hours.  I have gone through 30% of it already, but with dial-up, at this time, I would still have about 4.5 hours left, assuming there were no problems with the download or phone connection in all that time.

I've embedded this YouTube video that precisely describes the answer to your exact problem.

Just kidding.  That would be kinda messed up for me to answer via an embedded YouTube video, wouldn't it?  :)

Uninstall your modem driver, reinstall your modem driver.  Test your phone line and make sure you're actually hearing a dial tone.  If you've done both of these things, come back and tell us what the results are.

After talking to a netzero tech he seems to think its the modem driver too. Problem is I don't have the original disk that came with computer so I cant reinstall it. So my question can I just use another computer and download the driver from dell downloads and save it on a disk too reinstall on my computer.

After talking to a netzero tech he seems to think its the modem driver too. Problem is I don't have the original disk that came with computer so I cant reinstall it. So my question can I just use another computer and download the driver from dell downloads and save it on a disk too reinstall on my computer.

Im not sure if you have a laptop or a desktop, but if its a desktop modem cards are fairly cheap. you should be able to download and save it to a disc tho like you asked, call dell tech support and see if they can help. but I dont envy you for calling them, I hear lewisxx is answering the phone there. :o

Wow!  Is this 1995?  I think I have an old Sportster 14.4K sitting around from the days when I used to be a BBS Sysop.  I can let you have that if you want.

Wow!  Is this 1995?  I think I have an old Sportster 14.4K sitting around from the days when I used to be a BBS Sysop.  I can let you have that if you want.

Dperry, showing your age!  I had a BBS (Yes I was a geek) and the when I crowned myself a Sysop - I thought I was god!

Mainor,  have you looked into DSL?  Around here it's $19.95 a month for 3 years.  I was actually thinking about downgrading my cable to DSL.

Its called I'm cheap and don't want to pay $50 a month for broad band (if that's what its called) when I can spend $15 for netzero dial up.

Your ROI is worse with netzero.  If you were paying $3/mo for netzero, it might be worth it.  But $15/mo for dial up is way too expensive.  The $50/mo for broadband gives you a better ROI.

Dperry, showing your age!  I had a BBS (Yes I was a geek) and the when I crowned myself a Sysop - I thought I was god!

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/408/

408-265-4660

SAN JOSE, CA Blue Smoke BBS, Matrix Online Service

(1992-1994) Darryl Perry

408-260-7988

SANTA CLARA, CA Matrix Online Service

(1996) Darryl Perry 

408-260-7989

SANTA CLARA, CA Matrix Online

(1996-1997) Darryl Perry

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/916/

916-363-1830

SACRAMENTO, CA Cyberia BBS, Gryphon's Eyrie BBS

(1999-2000) Darryl Perry

These don't include when I went to telnet-only from 2000-2005 at cyberia.darktech.org.  I still maintain that DtDNS domain.

And it doesn't include my pre-fidonet days when I was in WWIVnet @4805

I'm basically just extending my BBSing experience by patronizing this site.  It's basically BBSing on the web.

Mainor,  have you looked into DSL?  Around here it's $19.95 a month for 3 years.  I was actually thinking about downgrading my cable to DSL.

If you are highly internet intensive, I would recommend cable over DSL.  I used to work from home 100% of the time when I worked for IBM, and I needed a constant network VPN connection.  I had lots of trouble with the slowness of DSL over the greater speed of cable.  But if  you have limited need for internet connectivity, then the cheaper dsl might be your better option.

Looks like the local cable company has the best package deal, cable tv, 5mbps hi-speed internet, and unlimited local and long distance telephone for $75 a month. Already cancelled phone and netzero just got to cancel dish network.

Looks like the local cable company has the best package deal, cable tv, 5mbps hi-speed internet, and unlimited local and long distance telephone for $75 a month. Already cancelled phone and netzero just got to cancel dish network.

Make sure everything is compatible with your copy of Windows 98.    :P

I keep getting offers for bundling. I don't have a working TV or landline. What would I gain from their service--even if I had the equipment to use it...why would I want to?

However, congrats on getting an internet connection that doesn't force you to go make a snack each time you click for a new post.

Come on, I'm not that far behind. I expected to get some flack when I started this thread for living in the stone-age. I was never interested in all the technical computer stuff so you guys will to forgive my ignorance.

Actually there isn't too much of a problem with that.  I spent about a decade where I upgraded every time my brother-in-law would upgrade because he gave me his old stuff for free.  I was always a step or two behind the current technology, but all my upgrades didn't cost my anything. And since he was constantly upgrading, I was never really very far behind.

Once you experience a cable modem, you won't be able to go back to dial-up.

I know of one apartment building where one person has a powerful wireless router, and all the people in the building share the connection, each chipping in to share the cost.

I have found that my wireless router has been used by others quite a bit, regardless of how often I had changed my password.  (These things have terrible security.)  I really only care about this if they were to use an excessive amount of bandwidth, or are doing things that I would prefer doesn't get traced back to my connection.