computer fritz

mainor5251

Called cable company today to get it hooked up and found out they do not provide service outside the city limits, that sucks so now it looks like I'm got to get dsl through phone company now. Gonna be like $55 for home phone and internet.

Called cable company today to get it hooked up and found out they do not provide service outside the city limits, that sucks so now it looks like I'm got to get dsl through phone company now. Gonna be like $55 for home phone and internet.

where I live they have a dsl service without phone capabilities I cant remember what its called but it's not that expensive, it's thru att. the rep was giving it her best to sell me the full package but I just got the dsl service maybe its available there?

Update: Checked around for service providers and found none that provide service where I live at least when it comes to cable, DSL, or the fiber optic service. The only options where I'm currently located is to tether computer to cell phone for service or through satellite service. Satellite is not an option because of cost, I swear now that I know what hughs net charge, I'm convinced they should have a proctologist in all there commercials. So its probably back to dial up after I address the original problem with modem.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to office depot and asked sales guy for a cheap internal modem, got home and went to installing it a noticed the box says desktop pci adapter - connect your pc to a wired network. So my question is, is this what I needed is this a modem or just an adapter that would be used in network in conjuction with a router?

Went to office depot and asked sales guy for a cheap internal modem, got home and went to installing it a noticed the box says desktop pci adapter - connect your pc to a wired network. So my question is, is this what I needed is this a modem or just an adapter that would be used in network in conjuction with a router?

sounds like you have a desktop? that might be the right modem "card"  if so it will plug into a slot on your motherboard. take a pic of the box and post it

finally back online with desktop.  returned pci adapter that office depot salesman sold me and bought external modem from best buy, now back in business.  what a pain in the golpher not having internet on desktop i do all my bills online (when i actually have the money to pay them).