kick outs

JEREMYTINA

Has anyone had locations buy their own machines recently and kick you out.  We had a couple of good locations do that to us last month.  One only did like $15 a month, and the other did $45.  It sucked to lose the revenue, but I was just suprised by it. 

Yes I have when I was in bulk.  Not to T-bird's standards, but to me it was 2 gravy locations.  A triple in each location, each location was bringing in between $55-$60 every 3 weeks.

Talking about a kick to the gut!

To me this topic makes me want to switch to toys/ bb's/gumballs even more!  Maybe I'm wrong but by vending these items that are somewhat harder to find for your everyday business owner would keep this from happening.  With candy all they have to do is just go down to the local wholesale club.

Has anyone had locations buy their own machines recently and kick you out.  We had a couple of good locations do that to us last month.  One only did like $15 a month, and the other did $45.  It sucked to lose the revenue, but I was just suprised by it. 

Yea, it happens occasionally.  Many times, owners unrealistically think these machines make an absolute fortune.  I had a Mexican restaurant on commission that did $150 per cycle with a single Shootin Hoops.  After just two cycles, there was a spiral and vendstar in it's place.  My hoops machine was in the corner covered up with a towel.  The receptionist told me that the owner has his own machines now.  The owner was not in but I still wanted to give him some lip about not calling me.  When I left, I was very very tempted to throw all those faded gumballs in his parking lot.  But I calmed down and shrugged my shoulders and quoted a line from God Father 2.  "This is the business we have chosen".  Got in my van and gave the restaurant the finger as I drove by.  I guess this is one small down side to commission vending - they know exactly how much the machines are making.

To me this topic makes me want to switch to toys/ bb's/gumballs even more!  Maybe I'm wrong but by vending these items that are somewhat harder to find for your everyday business owner would keep this from happening.  With candy all they have to do is just go down to the local wholesale club.

IMO, once an owner has his mind made up on purchasing his own machine, it really doesn't matter what products are in it.  Since this vending thing is soooo easy and soooo lucrative in his mind.  He will most likely search the web to find overpriced resellers and buy his products from them.  He also has no concern about which toys sell better, since in his mind a toy is just a toy.

IMO, once an owner has his mind made up on purchasing his own machine, it really doesn't matter what products are in it.  Since this vending thing is soooo easy and soooo lucrative in his mind.  He will most likely search the web to find overpriced resellers and buy his products from them.  He also has no concern about which toys sell better, since in his mind a toy is just a toy.

Some locations care very much which products you're selling... And I've found they often want to have a say in it, both from a cleanliness of location perspective, and from simply a popularity of product perspective. The more popular your products are among their customers, the more popular their location becomes. Even if they're not directly profiting on the machines themselves, they know that more products for sale within their store, the more traffic they attract. 

I don't think a owner knows a toy from his elbow, and definitely does not know what sells and where to get the stuff that sells.  We are the professionals and should give that image; I am not going to tell him what kind of eggs to buy or how to scramble them. How would an owner know what toy or gumball sells the best? Most are pretty apathetic about vending IMO.

I don't think a owner knows a toy from his elbow, and definitely does not know what sells and where to get the stuff that sells.  We are the professionals and should give that image; I am not going to tell him what kind of eggs to buy or how to scramble them. How would an owner know what toy or gumball sells the best? Most are pretty apathetic about vending IMO.

Exactly Jim!  How could they know what toys or candy really sells and are profitable??

I very often have owners telling me they want a product that would sell abysmally at their location.  I have also had one seat barbershops ask me for spirals and racks.  These are the guys who are really tripping on something and not the curb :)

LOL I got a good laugh at these post. While I am not in bulk but full line vending I get the same story from some owners, managers and employees. I just love when an owner or employee likes to tell us how to do vending. They love telling us what sells and how to do it. I had a customer one time ask if he could buy half my vending machine and split the profits. I have had them ask for 50% or even a 60 /40 commission, with them getting the 60. Try telling me what would sell in the machines, even though over half of what they suggested was currently in the machine. Then they go on to say "I dont buy anything out of them myself but I know my people would like such and such".  :huh:

I love the one chair barber shop story. We get those in full line also. Had a 35 employee location one time ask for a cold food machine, ice cream machine, and then she said she saw one of those machines that cooks french fries, do you have one of those? I started to say to her, why don’t I just open up a McDonalds franchise in your broom closet.  ;D

I was at a hotel the other day and spoke with a lady about doing the vending and she asked “do you have sandwich machines”? I said, yes I do but they would not do well in a hotel to justify having one. She then said “I have been in the hotel business for 25 years and that is the new thing, is having a sandwich machine. I said, really? Anyone around here have one? She paused and said, well no but I am pretty sure they have them in such and such town. Keep in mind the town she mentioned has 5 times the amount of people in it than the town she is in.

You have to just grin and bear it and steer them in the right direction and just be polite with such people. At least we can come on here and blow off steam, make fun of them, and get a good laugh. 

You have to just grin and bear it and steer them in the right direction and just be polite with such people. At least we can come on here and blow off steam, make fun of them, and get a good laugh. 

Yup. ;D

I had one of my locations split into two at opposite ends of town a few months back. The "new" location has a small combo in it avg 20-25 a week. I only kept it because its on my way home several days a week. Last week they called said that they had another vendor come in and offer them full size soda snack and cold food and if I wanted to keep their business I would have to match the offer. I just laughed and told them to let me know when they wanted me to pick up the machine.

Yup. ;D

I had one of my locations split into two at opposite ends of town a few months back. The "new" location has a small combo in it avg 20-25 a week. I only kept it because its on my way home several days a week. Last week they called said that they had another vendor come in and offer them full size soda snack and cold food and if I wanted to keep their business I would have to match the offer. I just laughed and told them to let me know when they wanted me to pick up the machine.

LOL, must be a new vendor. It is a wonder he didnt offer them icecream and coffee also....  ;D