How Hot should a Dixie Narco compressor get

dpvnc

The compressor will get warm but not too hot to touch. What relay did you try to bypass? The compressor fan and compressor run together, so if the compressor fan is running then the compressor should to. Do you hear a clicking noise shortly after trying to start the compressor and then another one a little after that? That would be the overload popping indicating you probably have a bad compressor.

If you turn off the compressor, jam the compressor fan and then start it up, you should be able to hear the compressor if it is running. Just keep your fingers away from that fan as it could injure you.

The relay on the side of the compressor does not seem to function. No clicking at all. I took the wire nuts loose that hold the compressor and fan wires together, disabled the fan.  I cannot har anything.Can you buy just a compressor or do I have to buy a whole deck?. I have very little invested in it with a location waiting.

You probably wouldn't hear the relay on the side of the compressor making any noise as it won;t do anything unless the compressor tries to run and the relay noise is quieter then the compressor noise. The clicking I was concerned with would be the overload which usually indicates a bad compressor. You can buy just a compressor but it needs to be installed by someone that knows refrigeration and is not just a bolt in like a deck would be.

-I assume that the fan was running before you disabled it.

-Bypassing the relay on the side of the compressor will not make the compressor start as it is needed to switch the windings that are inside the compressor

-Depending how good you are with a meter you can test the windings of the compressor to see if it has shorted or open wires.

-If you test the windings and they appear fine you may only need to replace the controls (overload/relay/capacitor) and you can use a hard start kit like this  http://store.technivend.com/3-in-1-hard-star311414.html

If you know how to use a meter, let me know and we can go over your readings.

Ah I see.  There is no capacitor in the system also someone  must have messed with the wiring before me. There are two leads that are not connected to anything.  I found a diagram that shows realy wiring but it is listed with letters my relay has numbers a bit confusing.

It looks to me like there are 2 connectors running through the relay from the compressor body and one just below. Are those the ones I would test

You can send me an email with a picture of your wiring if you want and I will take a quick peek.

To test the compressor with a VOM unplug the machine (and leave it unplugged) and disconnect everything off the compressor. You will be left with a silver disc with 3 silver studs sticking out in the shape of a triangle. The dic itself is ground and you should have continuity between that and any piece of copper in the system. Then test each stud for continuity to ground, you should not have any. Then test each stud to another stud and record the readings and post them here. You should have 3 readings when done (not counting the ground test).

Roughly what you are looking for is 1-2 ohms, 5-7 ohms and 6-9 ohms between the studs and infinite resistance from each stud to ground. These numbers are not set in stone, that's why I would like to get them posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess the first thing we need to do is to be sure the compressor is running and that the thermostat is working. There is one fan in the machine and one down below by the compressor. Is the one down below running and do you hear the compressor running at all??

Hi Technivend:

The multimeter I got would not read resistance properly.  The compressor will not start. Just sits and gets hot. I found thet the relay just slides off those pins and tried hooking it up directly it still  will not not run. I was just thinking about ordering a new compressor deck. Any advice along that line? Thermostat works fine

Well, I guess the first thing we need to do is to be sure the compressor is running and that the thermostat is working. There is one fan in the machine and one down below by the compressor. Is the one down below running and do you hear the compressor running at all??

Hey Technivend, what is the best way to tell if a compressor is running? Usually the sound of the fan drowns out any noise that the compressor makes. How can you tell if the fan came on, but the compressor didn't? Is there a good way to know?

Thanks

JD

Hi Technivend:

The multimeter I got would not read resistance properly.  The compressor will not start. Just sits and gets hot. I found thet the relay just slides off those pins and tried hooking it up directly it still  will not not run. I was just thinking about ordering a new compressor deck. Any advice along that line? Thermostat works fine

You can order them new easy enough, but I have seen others post that they get used ones pretty cheap somewhere out west.

Hey Technivend, what is the best way to tell if a compressor is running? Usually the sound of the fan drowns out any noise that the compressor makes. How can you tell if the fan came on, but the compressor didn't? Is there a good way to know?

Thanks

JD

Turn off the thermostat. Jam the so it won't spin and turn on the compressor. You can use pliers or a good size screwdriver. My tech just holds the fan when he does it, but every once in a while I can hear his fingers getting spun up in the fan blades.

Archived