eport credit card vending

http://www.usatech.com/eport/index.php

Has anybody here tried this out.  I am trying to figure out if it is worth doing something like this.  It is $180 for the credit card unit (cheap model) or $350 for contactless unit, 6.99% fee for every vend using a credit card, and $30/month for an at&t data plan to process payments.

Machine is not located yet but once it is in a prominant location, I would like to install one of these units.

I've got 5 of them currently. Only on drink machines to keep avg sale price over 1.00, you get a slight discount for higher avg prices. From my somewhat limited experience with these things, they work best in higher volume locations where the demographic is mostly under 40.

Unless you do 150+ a week with that combo I would refrain for now. Maybe consider later on after you have some history at the location and show the sales to make it worthwhile.

my .02

I have 6 of there units.....and they work great.  I would stay away from the contactless version unless you absolutly think that a majority of your customers have the contactless cards to use.  The vast majority of the creditcards out there are the plain old swipe units.

Last time I check, the monthly fee $9.99/month INCLUDED your cellular service for that unit, not a seperate $30 fee, I may be wrong, so check that out again.

As mission said, they recommend the creditcard  readers on machines that have an avg sell price of $1 or greater, but in high volume locations they work just fine on snack machines also where your selling price may be under that amount.

the per transaction fee is not bad, especially when you compare to local banks.

All-in-all in the right location, they are a good addition.

Travis

Can you set it up to vend for different prices based on credit card vs cash? I'm surprised the cuts are so high for processing cards. I'm more tempted to put an ATM near the machine and keep the fee for myself. There may be some people who would only buy with a credit card through the machine though... just sucks to have the cost stuck on you.

The $10 a month to USA Tech. includes your cellular/data. You don't pay AT&T or any other cellular company. I have one of these on a glassfront soda machine.

I think you pay $10 to USA Tech which they in turn pay to AT&T.  This is what I was told by a sales rep from the company.  I think I might wait until I have a drink only machine with only bottles and energy drinks before I start using it.

Can you set it up to vend for different prices based on credit card vs cash? I'm surprised the cuts are so high for processing cards. I'm more tempted to put an ATM near the machine and keep the fee for myself. There may be some people who would only buy with a credit card through the machine though... just sucks to have the cost stuck on you.

Doesn't have the capabilities to charge more when paying cc vs cash.  Basically the machine (eport) is told how much the item cost fom the machine....and that is what's reported for the transaction.  Now if you machine has that capability, that would be different...but don't believe I have ever seen a machine with that option.  As far as fees goes, they are actually lower then most banks.  Typically, a bank will charge a flat fee of around 45 cents per transaction plus a % of the total sale.

Travis

No, the machines don't have that capability. Realize though that when you install one it should be with a price increase and that about 50% of the transactions are credit. With the ones that I have its closer to 40%. So if I am giving up .10 per transaction processed when you average it out by the total number of transactions that are cash it works out to a nickel or less that you give up on a sale price that has a better margin.

the fees are MUCH cheaper than traditional merchant processing either in traditional retail or card-not-present (phone/internet) retailing set ups.

I was looking at their website and I am confused about the jumpstart program. It says that you can get the equipment for $12 per month. Is that in addition to the other fees?

+ the processing/transaction fees.  However last time I checked with them, you needed to get at least 10 units before you could participate in the jumpstart program.

Travis

Several of the larger vending companies we work with in California use these but very sparingly.  Also they do it to grab business in bidding situations.  I think these are a great sales tool if you need a leg up against the competition but you need to be sure the sales will support it.

Poplady

I don't believe so...alot of gas stations like Arco charges you an extra 45 cents to use a debit card vs cash

Travis

it might be, but it would be nearly impossible to get caught. just like the places that say "no credit cards accepted for orders under $10" that is against the agreement but everyone does it anyway

it might be, but it would be nearly impossible to get caught. just like the places that say "no credit cards accepted for orders under $10" that is against the agreement but everyone does it anyway

Local gas stations and grocery stores around me have a minimum purchase for CC or Debit cards.  It ranges from $2 to $3

Before they started doing that, people would go in and get a 50cent coffee or a 79cent fountain drink and swipe the ol Debit card.  Im like, come on, really?  you don't have 50cents in your car somewhere?

Local gas stations and grocery stores around me have a minimum purchase for CC or Debit cards.  It ranges from $2 to $3

Before they started doing that, people would go in and get a 50cent coffee or a 79cent fountain drink and swipe the ol Debit card.  Im like, come on, really?  you don't have 50cents in your car somewhere?

slightly off subject but ninnjinn got me thinking...around here they use their food stamp card to buy chips and sodas, that isnt at all what its meant for, jeez and we wonder why the country suffers...sorry for the rant

slightly off subject but ninnjinn got me thinking...around here they use their food stamp card to buy chips and sodas, that isnt at all what its meant for, jeez and we wonder why the country suffers...sorry for the rant

I saw a story on the news a few weeks ago about where New York was considering putting some more restrictions on food stamp card usage. Things like soda, chips and candy. My initial reaction was cool, a better use of my tax dollars. Then I realized that I sell the stuff.

Archived