3 Peanut M&M's per vend?

icodebot

I'm new to bulk vending. I located a RB16 Beaver machine today, and the owner requested M&M's.  I could not adjust the wheel to vend more than 3 peanut M&M's per vend. Arguably this is the right amount for this candy since it is expensive, but I feel pretty stingy, and would have set it to vend more if I could have.

I was just wondering what the norm per vend count is for peanut M&Ms?

Thanks,

Matt

Selling 3 for a quarter will lead to no one buying very quickly and a bad reputation with the owner. 5 for a quarter gives you about a 20-25% cogs. The annoyance for me is that they go bad too quickly.  You'll need a wheel you can set to a min of 5. Anything less than 5 is terrible. I generally sell about 8 for a quarter. That keeps people buying them--which is important so they don't go bad. In general I'm trying to work them out and mostly only do them for a request and only leave them in if they are selling reasonably.

you don't need to swap the head! did you take the wheel out and see if it is open the maximum amount possible? usually you can remove screws and turn the metal part so the opening is larger or smaller, try opening it the maximum amount and then run several quarters through the machine and see how many m&m's come out each time. if it is still too little, order a deep candy wheel for it. with a deep wheel you can definitely vend enough pm&m's to make the customer happy.

I just meant I'd swap out the candy canister with the proper candy/wheel combo. For me to swap out or adjust the wheel I have to empty the canister and disassemble it. This is not something I'd want to do on location. 

It's a shallow Beaver candy wheel. Beaver makes a deep one as well. As far as I can tell I have it set to the maximum setting, I tried several adjustments last night and could not get it to vend more than 3. The owner requested M&M's, I didn't have plain ones handy, and did not anticipate having such a stingy wheel.

I thought Beaver recommended this wheel for P-M&Ms, but maybe it was just meant for plain. Is anyone out there using the shallow Beaver wheel for P-M&M?

Thanks,

Matt

Beaver recommends different wheels depending on what specific type of candy your vending. I was told to use the "Deep Adjustible Candy Wheel".  This wheel is used for vending larger size candies like PM&M's & it vends 6-8 pieces.

This sounds like it would work.

• 9 years later...

I don’t vend M&M peanuts due to this problem. When they request M&M peanuts I explain to the location that due to the size of the product, the customer will only get a few candies and not be happy. They normally understand and we’ll come to an agreement on another product. This results in less complaints to the location and to me . 

I still sell them but I am upfront with my locations prior to putting them in that you are only getting 5-7 pieces per vend. I will only run them in locations where I can turn the product fast because the last thing I want is to have to stale out an item with a razor thin margin. Generally I run them in break rooms where they have no other vending and people want something with a bit more sustenance than what the average pan candy provides.