ALTOIDS CANDY KING OF AMERICA MACHINES AND GUM INFO

tritevend

Hello-

So I am an newbie to the board and been in the business for about 2 years. Bought a route out of bankruptcy! A charity route with about 600 locations!

Anyways, I have always been intrigued by the Dentyne Ice machines and Altoids Machines. Margins are high. Or so one would think. I did the research and saw the scam going on with Candy King of America. So I went no further, until a craigslist posting. I ended up purchasing a guys 22 altoids machines for $500. 14 new, 4 used, 2 for parts and 2 on location, where I pulled out about $60.

I realize I can sell the machines for more, or at least to get my $ back. But i am very interested in operating them! Servicing is easy, appearance is great and this gum does sell it self!

Any one have any info???

Heress what i know:

Altoids was bought by Wrigley. And Wrigley discontinued the line. They are not producing it.

Will they do a private label or one run? I would buy a truckload.

The only distributor used to be amazon.com for $250 a case and ebay for about $100 a case! Candy King of America would not sell to you unless you bought machines from them? Candy King of America is since out of business?!?! No website comes up! No one answers at the phone #! It has been disconnected!

There is  another company in Florida called Rocket Vend. (Rocketvend.com)--- they are producing very similar looking machines, with a new theme (i.e breast cancer). Looks like they dispense Altoids as well. They claim they are a mint! I am from a no-call state according to their website and they wont answer. Finding no reviews of this company! I get no answers or can find any more info.

I am desperate for this gum at real wholesale costs!! Any info anyone can pass on is appreciated!!!

Anyone ever produced their own gum/confection/candies to vend? I may be doing that.

I have 5 of these Altoid gum machines. I've been looking for the gum for the last several months. I got an automated reply from Wrigleys that said they are not making the gum anymore. My plan is to run through the product I still have and sell the machines for $5 or $10 for parts. If you get any other information about this gum please post it.

Oh, I see your problem.  You want to continue to use the DI and Altoids name.  But if you produce your own gum like your tagline says, wouldn't you still have that problem, being that your gum wouldn't be DI nor Altoids?

No, what most people do when vending polar mints is that they just use the polar mints label that comes with the gum, and then the problem is solved.

Here's some sugar-free chicle-tab gum:

http://diabeticfriendly.com/chicle-chews-sugarless-chewing-gum-vending-machine.html

Appreciate the info... I have seen tons. Googles these machines and this gum over 500 times!

As I said, I didnt get scammed...  Cant believe people even though of paying so much!

Also cant believe Kraft foods entered a contract with these crooks! Wonder where this Gladstone charachter is?

Jus wanna find the gum cheap!

Vending is about oppurtunities and if we can get this gum produced.... these machines with make $$$$!!

DI and Altoids failed miserably as a bulk vending product for a variety of reasons.  Not to rehash the past here.  At this point, there is no supplier out there that can sell this type of gum (to vendors selling it for just a quarter) and make any kind of profit.  They are niche products at best.  Some candy/gum manufacturers are simply not interested in the bulk market and will not package their products to accommodate bulk vendors, but they would rather focus on the retail and snack market instead.  Some products sell well in a retail store or snack machines (like MM plain chocolate), but will not do well in a bulk machine - DI and Altoids seem to also fit that bill.  Those machines are worth no more than $20 at this point and I not sure who would really want them since the products are no longer available in bulk at a reasonable price.  I had a restaurant owner beg me to remove an abandoned Altoids machine that was not serviced in over a year.  Only the coin mech, globe and lid had any value - the rest is scrap metal and plastic to be recycled.  I have not seen an Altoids or DI machine on location for over two years now.  That is the hard truth and unfortunately there is not much positive to say about those machines and products at this point, sorry to say.

I get the argument and as I said, I have little invested-- which makes me think how big I and others on this board can hit it if we can find the gum or better yet, produce the gum!

However, if you can find this gum at 2-4 cents a piece (keep in mind, a gumball costs 1.3-1.8 cents depending on the size, and thats bigger than this)-- it would be very profitable!

This board talks about $7 national average.

Well when these machines are in the right places-- bars, coffee shops, colleges-- where people want fressh breath! They are more luctant to buy-- than a nasty handful of old stale candy.  They are cheap and golpher, but they look nice! Bulk vending is a compusive buying decison!

So back at it... if you were making .21-.17 a vend-- vending 2 pieces,-- at 28 vends a month ($7.00)-- Itd be alright.

Id take the 5 profit on 15 more heads for servicing them every 3-6 months. Sounds better than have equipment sit in my warehouse!

I get the argument and as I said, I have little invested-- which makes me think how big I and others on this board can hit it if we can find the gum or better yet, produce the gum!

tritevend with all due respect I think your missing the point, Altoids and dentyne ice are niche items like jax said. they are a proven failure biz op or not. The concept is nothing more than trying to reinvent the wheel, basic gumballs are the proven route to take, mix in some different flavored gumballs but dont get to far off track and you will succeed. I know you have all those machines but your best bet is to spend your energy and money elsewhere. Maybe you can get some usable parts to add to your warehouse.

Are the Altoids and DI machines specifically designed for those specific products only?  or would you be able to convert them to vend other bulk items?

They have a special wheel designed to vend just two pieces.  The problem is that special wheel does not not always vend just two pieces!  Not sure if a standard NW or AA wheel would fit or not.

Oak Leaf sells a chicle gum called Refresh.  It has spearmint and peppermint.  Admittedly, it's not sugar free, so that's not what you are wanting.  But, just to let you know that there are alternatives.  It's much better priced too, at $33 for a 9900ct box.

Will.vend-  I get the point... and I still believe in this concept-- bizop and all. I am willing to take a shot. All I have is time and cash flow.

I use only OAK for my double heads and only triple plays (NW). So scrapping these does nothing. I am going to place them!

I have ordered two types of gum from my distributor:

POLAR MINTS PLAIN by Concord

REFRESH by Oak Lead 9900 Count

If I can get one of these two to vend 2 pieces at a time... I am a happy camper!

POLAR MINTS PLAIN by Concord

REFRESH by Oak Lead 9900 Count

If I can get one of these two to vend 2 pieces at a time... I am a happy camper!

Oh WOW!!!

$0.25 for $0.0007 worth of gum!  You will clear $1247 from one box of of 9900 count gum at two pieces for 25c.  That's a markup of over 3700%  I think even if it vends 3 or 4 pieces, you will still be doing good, considering that most venders vend about 10 pieces of those brands of tabs.

This  and all business is about Margins! and 3700% is huge! Thats my point. I am not saying it will work...

We all know these machines are golpher... but the fresh breath concept, sleekness look of the machine and the brand name that altoids has already sold.... makes the impulse decisions huge. 

People have vended gum out of far worst machines! And despite this boards attitude, I still see these on location in the Midwest!

With the margins I believe that we have discovered... theyre out there!-- Who cares if you have to switch out machines cuz they get broken or vandalized cuz theyre poor quality. I have 20. Ill place 10. swap them out in a year if need be and keep going.Its not a bad play.

The first machines I ever purchased were a pair of cheap candy kings.  I bought them used from a co-worker, and I paid too much.  They are the kind that have double sides selling candy on both sides.  The base was a plastic pedestal.  I understand the feeling of paying too much for a substandard machine, or not knowing whether a machine is good or not.  I also know how crappy it felt to have forum members (not this one) tell me that I should just dump those machines and start fresh with better ones.  I was already committed and couldn't turn back, and didn't want to loose my initial investment, so I used them anyways.

My personal feeling is that vending only two tabs of gum for 25c is going to only cause pain.  And when they realize that you are not actually selling Altoids or DI, they may rebel by not buying any from your machines.

Do what you feel is right.  You sound like you have a plan, and I hope it works for you.  I'd be interested in hearing how it works out.

Will.vend-  I get the point... and I still believe in this concept-- bizop and all. I am willing to take a shot. All I have is time and cash flow.

well best of luck to you! sometimes blind ambition is the answer! I guess Im old school and prefer the tried and true method!

• 3 years later...

I know this is a SUPER old thread, but I just got one of these machines for free and curious what people are doing/did with them.

Did you just throw it away? Turn it into a different type of machine? What gum did you use?

Can you adjust the pie wheel on these things? You could possibly get by with vending hard pressed candy or chickle gum. You would have to rehab it too, so folks wouldn't think they were getting those god awful altoids. If you got the time it might work.

Here's what I've done so far:

For gum, I tried a BUNCH of different gum out.  Looking for gum in peppermint (since that's on the giant tin) also it had to be sugar free (since that's all over the machine) and it had to vend a reasonable amount per vend (this was the hardest part, most gum only vended 1 piece per vend, which was too little in my opinion).

I ended up settling on trident white peppermint sugar free gum.  About 75% of the time it vended 2 pieces, and 25% of the time it vended 3 pieces.  The cheapest I have found trident white so far is at walmart for 3.9 cents per piece.  That means the cost of good will be on average .75(2x3.9) + .25(3x3.9) = 5.85 + 2.925 = 8.775 cents per vend on average.  Or 35.1% cost of goods.

DEFINITELY on the high side when it comes to gum.  But hopefully I'll be able to search the internet/costco/other places and see if I can get the gum even cheaper.  (if you guys know of a place please share :D )

Plus the machine cost me nothing, and it's already placed (the guy that owns the restaurant said I could clean it up/return it right where it was already, so no locating = awesome :D )  I also put on new locks, just a random extra vendstar I had for the money box and a random extra 1800 for the top candy canister.

Also I would like to thank LandJGroup, that's a really good idea about trying a different wheel, thanks :D

Here's what I've done so far:

For gum, I tried a BUNCH of different gum out. Looking for gum in peppermint (since that's on the giant tin) also it had to be sugar free (since that's all over the machine) and it had to vend a reasonable amount per vend (this was the hardest part, most gum only vended 1 piece per vend, which was too little in my opinion).

I ended up settling on trident white peppermint sugar free gum. About 75% of the time it vended 2 pieces, and 25% of the time it vended 3 pieces. The cheapest I have found trident white so far is at walmart for 3.9 cents per piece. That means the cost of good will be on average .75(2x3.9) + .25(3x3.9) = 5.85 + 2.925 = 8.775 cents per vend on average. Or 35.1% cost of goods.

DEFINITELY on the high side when it comes to gum. But hopefully I'll be able to search the internet/costco/other places and see if I can get the gum even cheaper. (if you guys know of a place please share :D )

Plus the machine cost me nothing, and it's already placed (the guy that owns the restaurant said I could clean it up/return it right where it was already, so no locating = awesome :D ) I also put on new locks, just a random extra vendstar I had for the money box and a random extra 1800 for the top candy canister.

Also I would like to thank LandJGroup, that's a really good idea about trying a different wheel, thanks :D

36% product cost is going to be tough. I know you got it for free... We did polar mints back in the day and they were a flop. Even in high yielding accounts. Let's face it our customers want the high sugar bad for you stuff, so give them what they want my friend.

Archived