New to vending in Midwest (guitar strings)

killyrtv

Hi, I'm Martin.  I want to set up a vending machine that sells guitar strings and drum sticks, just like this one in Portland: http://pdxfanatic.com/post/2066351657/zachselley-vending-machines-in-portland

I want to set it up along a very busy street in a hipster neighborhood.  I need some help in scouting good locations, not just negotiating with the property owners, but the actual nuts and bolts of a great location (zoning regulations, security, electrical access, etc.)  For example, is it worth trying to set it up directly on the street where there is limited sidewalk space, or should I place it inside a business?  I have an artist who will paint the machine for free, and visibility is my biggest concern due to the niche nature of the machine. 

Also, since several items may be $30 or more, would it be worth it to purchase a machine that will accept credit cards?  How much extra would that cost initially and monthly?

Thank you in advance,

Martin

This seems like too much of a "niche" market to make it worth the time, money, and effort to even try it. I am all for thinking outside the box as they like to say but I dont see how this could work as a business.

I will say this, if you own a music store in a town know for musicians like Memphis, Nashville, Austin, or near a music school, etc and wanted to add this to the front of your store for emergencies then it might work. Your customers would see this machine as they visited your store and know it was there in a pinch. Even then I don’t see that you would do much volume. I have been around some musicians in my time and most carry spare stuff with them.

If putting it out in general public then you had better have some pretty good singnage so people know it is there. Then I would do a mix of snacks, condoms, and the musical stuff.

My main reasons for choosing this business model are:

- I have played music professionally in Louisville for 5 years and I will only consider a location within a certain 1 mile radius containing about 20 venues.  Foot traffic of my target demographics is very high.

- There is little competition in this city.  There are only 2 or 3 stores that carry most of my merchandise, and none are open after 7pm, and only one on Sundays.

- Since my stock will be lightweight, (and low demand) I can carry it all in a backpack on the bus and not have the overhead of a vehicle. I have a friend who lives a few blocks away who will check it everyday and call me if something is running out.

- It will be the same price, if not cheaper than the established music stores.

- If it doesnt work, I can always fill it with something else instead.

I suppose that the old saying, nothing vetured, nothing gained applies here.  Give it a shot, nad if your location doesn't do as well as you like, try added different items to supplement your income. Worse comes to worst, you could always change to an odd combination snack, condom, musical items, etc machine.  Try and make the machine eye catching if possible, get someone to paint some nice artwork on it.  Good luck with your new venture.

With that price point you certainly need debit/credit acceptance. I use USA Technologies for mine. Cost will vary.

As for zoning regs and permits. that varies so much from city to city and state to state that I can`t offer you much help other than to say check with your local city or county office.

I've seen ones with a metal grate across the front.  Its basically that headache or placed inside a business.  Anyone else sell high dollar items and can give me advice on security?

I think with just guitar strings and drum sticks I can get away with no credit card terminal..though I eventually want to get one once I pay off the machine and start competing with the brick-and-mortar shops selling indie CDs and guitar tuners.  I think a regular old snack machine should do just fine..any suggestions on an easily customizable model?

Another example:

http://ilovememphisblog.com/2009/12/reason-23-to-love-memphis-the-all-night-guitar-string-vending-machine/

NinnJinn, I live in Indiana, 2 miles from Lville.  Where are you located?

I've seen ones with a metal grate across the front.  Its basically that headache or placed inside a business.  Anyone else sell high dollar items and can give me advice on security?

I think with just guitar strings and drum sticks I can get away with no credit card terminal..though I eventually want to get one once I pay off the machine and start competing with the brick-and-mortar shops selling indie CDs and guitar tuners.  I think a regular old snack machine should do just fine..any suggestions on an easily customizable model?

Another example:

http://ilovememphisblog.com/2009/12/reason-23-to-love-memphis-the-all-night-guitar-string-vending-machine/

NinnJinn, I live in Indiana, 2 miles from Lville.  Where are you located?

Just about any brand ought to be convertible, the main thing I would suggest is to look for a newer machine that has MDB coin mech and DBV and is DEX ready so you can later add the debit/credit without having to buy another a machine and change them out.

Do you know of any specific models?  My budget is $2000 for a used one.

I think I found a good location today, in front of a new Asian restaurant, next door to a video store for obscure movies, across the street from an underground record store. It is exactly 1.3 miles from my nearest competition, a music equipment rental shop.

I see two unused electrical outlets.  The only problem i see is that it may block the view of the window.  Do they make snack machines with a slim profile?

location_1.jpg

Do you know of any specific models?  My budget is $2000 for a used one.

I'd suggest keeping an eye out on CL for a used machine in your area and when you find one post a link here and we can give you opinions as to price and suitability for the application you are considering.

Archived