Meeting with Coke rep, New "smaller" drinks

What an interesting day today. Had a meeting with my Coke rep and was told effective May 16 prices go up .38 a case on "core" product line. That's Coke, Diet Coke etc. The other stuff Powerade, juices etc have no increase. Also was given a deadline of June 1 to send in a report with a list of third party machines, Sn # and where it is located at. She showed me where it is mentioned in the contract that we sign every year. After further discussion, I learned this provision has been in the third party contract for a couple of years and now that CCE owns just about every Coke bottling operation in the country they are starting to consolidate and implement the same policies across the country. This will be the first of a number of steps that will be taken by CCE in the next year or so to run things more efficiently and to keep better track of assets.

Went back to the warehouse to load after my delivery taker called to tell me my order for this week was in. While breaking down the pallets I noticed that the Monster went from 16oz to 12 oz and Fuze went from 18.5 oz to 16.9 oz. So I can see why there was no price increase on these categories. I'd rather deal with a smaller package than a price increase, that way the blame goes to the manufacturer and I don't have to negotiate a price increase.

What an interesting day today. Had a meeting with my Coke rep and was told effective May 16 prices go up .38 a case on "core" product line. That's Coke, Diet Coke etc. The other stuff Powerade, juices etc have no increase. Also was given a deadline of June 1 to send in a report with a list of third party machines, Sn # and where it is located at. She showed me where it is mentioned in the contract that we sign every year. After further discussion, I learned this provision has been in the third party contract for a couple of years and now that CCE owns just about every Coke bottling operation in the country they are starting to consolidate and implement the same policies across the country. This will be the first of a number of steps that will be taken by CCE in the next year or so to run things more efficiently and to keep better track of assets.

Went back to the warehouse to load after my delivery taker called to tell me my order for this week was in. While breaking down the pallets I noticed that the Monster went from 16oz to 12 oz and Fuze went from 18.5 oz to 16.9 oz. So I can see why there was no price increase on these categories. I'd rather deal with a smaller package than a price increase, that way the blame goes to the manufacturer and I don't have to negotiate a price increase.

Hello mission, does that mean monster will always be 12oz size now and no longer the 16oz size I buy at sams? And if so what do i charge for the smaller size; right now i charge $ 2.50 for the 16oz Thanks John

Guess I lucked out, Just got Two cases of Monster today and they are still 16oz. However, I did notice that Coke, Diet, Cherry all went up 8cents on the bottle from 2weeks ago, I am now paying 78cents a bottle for the Core products whereas 2 weeks ago it was 70cents a bottle. January 27th was the last time I paid 65cents a bottle.

When I first started in August 2010 until January I was paying about 59cents a bottle.

I might just see if I can schedule a meeting with my rep. and if prices go any higher, tell them to come get the machines, I will go in debt and get my own machines and serve 24oz bottles. Don't have to worry about minimums, keeping stock on hand. AND, SAVE 24cents on the bottle!

Guess I lucked out, Just got Two cases of Monster today and they are still 16oz. However, I did notice that Coke, Diet, Cherry all went up 8cents on the bottle from 2weeks ago, I am now paying 78cents a bottle for the Core products whereas 2 weeks ago it was 70cents a bottle. January 27th was the last time I paid 65cents a bottle.

When I first started in August 2010 until January I was paying about 59cents a bottle.

I might just see if I can schedule a meeting with my rep. and if prices go any higher, tell them to come get the machines, I will go in debt and get my own machines and serve 24oz bottles. Don't have to worry about minimums, keeping stock on hand. AND, SAVE 24cents on the bottle!

Hey NinnJinn, where do you buy your 16 oz monster and what do you pay? John

Hello mission, does that mean monster will always be 12oz size now and no longer the 16oz size I buy at sams? And if so what do i charge for the smaller size; right now i charge $ 2.50 for the 16oz Thanks John

Well finally got a call back, it seems that they are now selling a 12oz Monster AND the 16oz version and I got sent 12oz by mistake. I'm currently paying $28.00/case and charging 2.25 for it.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got a letter from coke asking for a list of my machines and where they are

They do that from time to time. A list of what you have a the town they are in should be enough.

They do that from time to time. A list of what you have a the town they are in should be enough.

FYI Bill, the third party agreements for the last couple of years have this as a program requirement. Now that the acquisition binge is over CCE is working to establish greater control over their assets. The equipment list format that is being passed out to vendors requires:

1. asset #

2. Serial #

3. Model #

4. Host outlet name

5. Host outlet address

6. City

7. State

The listing is required for continued participation in the third party program and all lists must be submitted by July 1.,either electronically in a Excel spreadsheet or hard copy by snail mail to an address in Florida.

This has been happening for a long time. I know a few people that have a real problem with giving, to what they perceive as a potential competitor, a customer list of all their accounts.

In the past they have been able to negotiate a slimmed down list with the lesser info.

This has been happening for a long time. I know a few people that have a real problem with giving, to what they perceive as a potential competitor, a customer list of all their accounts.

In the past they have been able to negotiate a slimmed down list with the lesser info.

I just went through a Coke turn down, and I have to say, Coke has every right to know where their equipment is. It belongs to them. The are doing the operator a service with third party machines. My long term plan with 3rd party was to build a route of about 25 machines and use the profit that resulted to buy my own equipment as the end goal. And then have Coke pick up their stuff or take it back to them myself as I placed my own equipment. Third party was a great idea in the days of the independent bottler, and certainly during the "cola wars" of the 80's and 90's, but now that Coke owns CCE, it makes sense that they want to cut back. I am still planning to hear something from the Pepsi rep today (fingers crossed).

I totally agree with this, I have myself been able to get away with providing incomplete information in the past. However that is not the case anymore(for me at least). Personally I don't have any real problem giving them the info either. I feel that my relationship with my locations is strong enough to survive any very unlikely misguided attempt by someone from Coke to take the business, at which point the machine would be removed and replaced by one I owned. Besides imagine how much they would lose once word got out to other vendors that they were poaching accounts from their customers? Jeremytina has it right that its their equipment and have a right to know where its at. If I don't want to give them the info then I should give them the machine(s) back.

Based on conversations with other vendors, both locally and in several states, it seems that the contract we have to sign annually has become standardized. It's only a matter of time when how they track and enforce the agreements becomes standardized as well.

Archived