What are 600+ old machines worth?

Pyrodude

I am new to bulk vending and have a few NW Triples located and have decided to start expanding. I have met an elderly gentleman who due to age and health concerns is selling off the remains of his once large vending empire. He is offering to sell the remaining machines that he has along with 4 routes. According to him he has the following machines:

• about 300 Oak Vista 350
  • about 100 Oak Vista 450
  • 35 Victor 77
  • about 150 Ultravends (there may be more - the stack of Ultravends in the pic is 7' tall and 10' wide)
  • 10 NW Triples
  • 20 Seaga doubles
  • $4000 in parts for the machines
  • Approx. 50 racks (rusty)
  • Stands (rusty and beat up)
  • Bunch of misc. machines

All of this stuff is packed into storage units so I cant even see everything. I am having a hard time coming up with a dollar figure to offer to buy the stuff for. The seller refers to what he paid for things and bases his asking price on what he paid. When I look at his machines I mostly see a bunch of broken down old junk that would need a ton of work to get them into any type of condition that would be sellable/usable.

3 of the routes are 2hrs.+ from where I live and I dont want to buy them. What I hope to gain from the deal is a small route in my town (that I will offer less that 50% of annual revenue as there is no supporting documentation) and about 50 or so of the best machines to locate. I wanted to sell off the rest of the stuff in hopes that it would pay for what I keep.

Seeing what Hillbilly got for $15/head makes me think that this stuff is worth about $2/head! What do you guys think?

post-2483-0-24835800-1304836305_thumb.jpg

post-2483-0-92089700-1304836336_thumb.jpg

post-2483-0-56490200-1304836359_thumb.jpg

post-2483-0-17292500-1304836381_thumb.jpg

post-2483-0-39421500-1304836393_thumb.jpg

post-2483-0-18592900-1304836407_thumb.jpg

post-2483-0-11045600-1304836419_thumb.jpg

post-2483-0-66191700-1304836444_thumb.jpg

True, It will be some work to get them refurbished, but if you want to grow this is a good chance. Do you have a place large enough to store lot of machine?

I would start at around $7 a machine for all the Oaks and NW. The steel racks can be sanded and painted, so count them in too, as well as the pipe stands. Stay away from the Ultravends.

I would only offer him money for the Oaks, Northwesterns, and the racks and stands. Even though the racks and stands are super rusty, you can refurb them to greatness (and they're expensive to ship when you buy new). I would nicely tell him I'm doing him a favor taking those Ultravends off his hands (cause you would be).

If you can negotiate a decent price on that route you are interested in -- GO FOR IT.

But, stay away from the stored stuff in the pics.

I know you have a few locations, but you stated you are new to the biz.

Don't put your money into that stored equipment right now.

That stuff will need a lot of refurb work.

You'll be using money to buy this equipment, using more money and lots of time to refurb the equipment, AND then spending more money and more time locating the equipment...All this without seeing a single quarter in return for your efforts and investments.

Putting in the cash, effort, and time required to refurb that many machines without seeing any quarters in return may be too discouraging for someone new to the industry.

Save the refurbing for later.

For now, get yourself some quality new equipment or some quality used equipment that's pretty much route-ready.

Then spend your time/money finding locations and collecting quarters instead spending your time/money fixing rusty equipment.

Good luck!

Wow they look like they need a bit of TLC.

As someone who is trying to refurb 10 Oaks...I wouldn't do it again. Not everyone is a Hillbilly. Try a couple machines before you dive into that.

Post this offer on your Fridgidaire under a magnet for just in case you win the lottery and have money to burn. From my experience, a brand new head costs $75-100 to place with product whether it is caps, gumballs or candy. Should you be fortunate to have tons of time on your hands, mechanically inclined to rehab old machines and have easy access to replacement parts for these dinosaurs, don't even think about wasting your investment capital.

Just think of this opportunity this way: What will your machines, pile of stuff, look like in 30 years when you have finally given up the ghost(collected enuff quarters) and decided you are no longer interested?

On the other hand...I would be willing to invest a thousand, cram it all in a container, ship it to Central America(which would cost another thousand) and let my guys make them look 'nice and shiney' and sell them to every little pulperia who thinks they can get rich in the vending biz. In our case, we would be making money on selling them the refills.

Sleep peaceful my fellow vendor. Hang on to your wallet.

I am new to bulk vending and have a few NW Triples located and have decided to start expanding. I have met an elderly gentleman who due to age and health concerns is selling off the remains of his once large vending empire. He is offering to sell the remaining machines that he has along with 4 routes. According to him he has the following machines:

• about 300 Oak Vista 350
  • about 100 Oak Vista 450
  • 35 Victor 77
  • about 150 Ultravends (there may be more - the stack of Ultravends in the pic is 7' tall and 10' wide)
  • 10 NW Triples
  • 20 Seaga doubles
  • $4000 in parts for the machines
  • Approx. 50 racks (rusty)
  • Stands (rusty and beat up)
  • Bunch of misc. machines

All of this stuff is packed into storage units so I cant even see everything. I am having a hard time coming up with a dollar figure to offer to buy the stuff for. The seller refers to what he paid for things and bases his asking price on what he paid. When I look at his machines I mostly see a bunch of broken down old junk that would need a ton of work to get them into any type of condition that would be sellable/usable.

3 of the routes are 2hrs.+ from where I live and I dont want to buy them. What I hope to gain from the deal is a small route in my town (that I will offer less that 50% of annual revenue as there is no supporting documentation) and about 50 or so of the best machines to locate. I wanted to sell off the rest of the stuff in hopes that it would pay for what I keep.

Seeing what Hillbilly got for $15/head makes me think that this stuff is worth about $2/head! What do you guys think?

So thats what an Ultravend looks like. Looks like an old outdated Vendstar to me.

If you can get them at bargain basement pricing I would do it. But, only if you have enough capital that it wont stretch you thin and you have a good (free) place to store them. Also, Im assuming you are capable of refurbing them or you wouldnt have started this thread. With all that said, I would refurb a few of them at the time, do not try to do all of them at once, you will get overwhelmed. When you have a few ready then try and locate them, and see if vending is for you. If not, refurb them and resell on ebay. If you need parts then post a request here in the classified because lots of vendors are willing to help at good prices. Good luck!

Most aren't even complete units. Most of the vistas are missing the panels, mechs and chute doors. They are prolly even missing the wheels. You are only getting about 1/4 of a machine there. I would offer about $5 per vista or NW and $10 for a rack. Then I would start referbing, making complete racks, and then selling them for market price.

Maybe you can offer to shop from his warehouse whenever you need to buy one or two additional machines at a time.

If you can negotiate a decent price on that route you are interested in -- GO FOR IT.

But, stay away from the stored stuff in the pics.

I know you have a few locations, but you stated you are new to the biz.

Don't put your money into that stored equipment right now.

That stuff will need a lot of refurb work.

You'll be using money to buy this equipment, using more money and lots of time to refurb the equipment, AND then spending more money and more time locating the equipment...All this without seeing a single quarter in return for your efforts and investments.

Putting in the cash, effort, and time required to refurb that many machines without seeing any quarters in return may be too discouraging for someone new to the industry.

Save the refurbing for later.

For now, get yourself some quality new equipment or some quality used equipment that's pretty much route-ready.

Then spend your time/money finding locations and collecting quarters instead spending your time/money fixing rusty equipment.

Good luck!

I vote Sherlock for President! ;D

So I assume we're talking about Phil in Vacaville? I can't understand why he continues to pay the bill on those storage units.

Personally I think his expectations are unrealistic. I explained to him why I didn't want the machines, and that his price was unrealistic... he said "well, can you get a loan?" and "can family loan you the money? Friends?" I was like "The question isn't whether I can obtain the money... it's that I think it's a bad deal." And then he continued to talk to me about financing.

I think he wanted something like $500 per Vendstar location. I think his asking price was around $30k for 60 locations. :lol:

He's fishing for a sucker...

Next!

B-I-N-G-O!!

Ever watch that show where people bid on abandoned storage units, Storage Wars? This stuff needs to go on that show soon!

I watched that on Sunday night for the first time. I noticed that all the conversations seemed staged, and played up. All the arguments were unrealistic. Fake fights, fake drama, etc. It was all purely a product of the producer, not a portrayal of reality.

Hoarders would be a better show for Phil's storage units. :)

...all the conversations seemed staged, and played up. All the arguments were unrealistic. Fake fights, fake drama, etc. It was all purely a product of the producer, not a portrayal of reality.

You just described EVERY reality show ever put on the air.

How people watch that stuff is beyond me...ALL OF THEM are so obviously scripted/staged.

Reality shows are just the networks' way to get around not having decent writers creating the programing.

Any idiot can script that garbage.

• 3 months later...

To finish this chapter of the story, I ended up buying the local 15 location route that has Vendstar 3000's and a few Oaks and also bought an extra 20 NW Triple Plays and 2 Oak Vistas for a total of $2100. 8 of the locations that I serviced with the seller averaged about $25/machine. So, for better or worse I am really off and running.......

Special thanks to Hillbilly for his 2 cents on things (although it was worth much more !;D ) along with Profits and Timberframe.

- Ward aka "Pyrodude"

I have a triple play I'm hoping to sell. It's built like a tank, but they are insanely heavy and require a great deal of work to adjust vend sizes.

All in all pricing sounds fair. Often times the sellers are fishing for a sucker, and they may have a hard time understanding that you just aren't stupid enough to borrow money to buy crap. To be fair, most americans spend many of their days borrowing at high interest rates to purchase crap.

I only have about 80 locations, but I'd estimate the business to be worth around 20k (possibly 25, when I finish placing the machines probably around 25k). Of course, my locations include several northwestern and oak racks, brand new 1800s with 50 cent mechs, and bill changers. All of which are worth vastly more than what this seller has. If someone offered me 6 months net income I'd tell him not to let the door hit him on the way out, and that I might be kicking the door to make it swing faster. Of course, I also have records of almost every single pull from every machine for over 2 years, and I have more machines on hand that are not producing any money. However we can all agree (I think) that a NW super 60 in good condition with a 50 cent mech and a capsule wheel that is in your living room still has value as a raw tool even when it isn't out in the field producing cash. When I go to sell I'll be asking around 1 years gross, I'll talk to the banks and prepare financing for potential buyers. By the time I sell this business I expect it to be grossing 60-100k per year. Most people I meet selling machines never made it. They bought the machines but didn't create the business. There is a premium to be paid for having built it.

That said, I won't buy vendstar.

Archived