Which tablet PC do you prefer?

dperry

Hey Guys!

I'm in the market to buy a tablet pc, and I'm wondering if anybody here can offer any sort of experiences they've had with any type or brand. An IPad seems to be the go-to brand, out there and I'm hoping somebody has some experiences with more than that. I am looking for a tablet PC that will allow me to browse the web, stream movies from netflix, play games, etc. I don't want one that comes with a 4G service; I want just a stand alone PC that I can use to connect to my wireless internet. I'd like to have an expandable memory storage like with a microSD card. I'm liking something in a 7" display; the IPad seems a little too big for me. I hear good things about the android OS to, so this makes me want to explore that. But I also hear good things about the blackberry unit. But I have a Blackberry Bold that they gave me for work, and I'm not very excited about it. And I really don't want to be paying the $500-$600 price tag from the high-end models. I have my eye on a COBY Kyros that sells for about $150 or so. The problem I have is that I cannot find a place that will let me test drive any of the units, like they let you do for the ipad at bestbuy or the apple store. So if you have any experience with these kinds of units, please let me know.

This is an interesting question. I was looking around myself not to long ago for a tablet as well. I wanted something just to use on my WIFI as a quick "I need to get online and don't want to boot my computer".

While I liked the Ipad (I was more interested in the original wifi only) I didn't like that you needed a computer to update the OS (weird, no?) and that it doesn't have flash for websites that require them.

Android is a Linux based system and as far as I know Netflix doesn't work with Linux yet (maybe after html5).

I don't think the Playbook will work with Netflix either as they use their servers which are based out of Canada and streaming Netflix isn't available in Canada.

So if you want it for Netflix, looks like the Ipad is your only choice in a tablet (if you want real small look at the ipod touch)or something that would be windows based like the Dell Streak.

I'll be curious as to what you choose.

I found a Sony Dash at my Sams Club, so I went to check it out:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666081675#reviews

It looks like it is doing everything I want. It even boasts being able to play netflix, and pandora radio, and even other internet radio stations (I like to listen to last.fm) and it retails for $149. I saw it at Sams for $98

Ok, so it has no web browsing. So you can't use it to check out VDF. It is also not portable, in that you have to have it plugged in for it to work; no batteries. There is also no storage, so you can't download songs or videos for later playback. Still, it's an interesting alternative.

The Coby Kyros has an 800x480 resolution screen as opposed to a 1280x800 screen, and it is a resistive screen... not capacitive. It also has Android 2.1. The tablets you should be looking at include Android 3.0 (Honeycomb).

This is a very obsolete unit that won't be very satisfying to own.

With that being said... if you want to go with an Android device, I'd recommend the WiFi Motorola Xoom which includes a capacitive 1280x800 capacitive screen, front and rear facing cameras, and Honeycomb. The WiFi iPad is also a polished device that includes an IPS display as opposed to a TN display... which displays a much higher quality image than these tablets typically have.

You're going to have to pay more than $150. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.

The Coby Kyros has an 800x480 resolution screen as opposed to a 1280x800 screen, and it is a resistive screen... not capacitive. It also has Android 2.1. The tablets you should be looking at include Android 3.0 (Honeycomb).

This is a very obsolete unit that won't be very satisfying to own.

With that being said... if you want to go with an Android device, I'd recommend the WiFi Motorola Xoom which includes a capacitive 1280x800 capacitive screen, front and rear facing cameras, and Honeycomb. The WiFi iPad is also a polished device that includes an IPS display as opposed to a TN display... which displays a much higher quality image than these tablets typically have.

You're going to have to pay more than $150. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it.

Profits,

It seems as you have some first hand experience with Android tablets, if I may. when using one of these does the browser report it as mobile to get the slimmed down page or is it the desktop page that shows up?

I have a 7" netbook that I use and I hate all the scrolling that needs to be done on regular webpages.

Profits,

It seems as you have some first hand experience with Android tablets, if I may. when using one of these does the browser report it as mobile to get the slimmed down page or is it the desktop page that shows up?

I have a 7" netbook that I use and I hate all the scrolling that needs to be done on regular webpages.

I don't own one yet, so my experience is just playing with them at the store. If I visit a site like Engadget which autodetects your browser agent and forwards you to either the desktop or mobile variant, the desktop version is the one displayed on devices like the Motorola Xoom and iPad 2. You could manually switch it to the mobile version if that's the one you were interested in seeing.

The frustration you're having with the netbook is due to their screens having very low vertical resolution. I just Google'd the resolution of a typical 7" netbook and found it's 800x480. In comparison, the Motorola Xoom has a 1280x800 resolution, and the iPad 2 does 1024x768.

One of the slick features of these tablets is that they scale pages really nicely, allowing you to pinch-to-zoom in and out depending on what you want to see... and giving you the ability to have a horizontal or vertical view of the page, switching automatically depending on how you're holding the device.

Basically what I'm saying is... ditch the netbook one way or another. I'm on a Samsung 24" 1920x1080 screen I got from Costco for $200 over a year ago and I can't easily go back to something lower resolution without seeking the nearest bridge to jump off.

But I also hear good things about the blackberry unit. But I have a Blackberry Bold that they gave me for work, and I'm not very excited about it

I have a Blackberry Bold too, and it's fine. I've been a huge Blackberry fan ever since I bought my Curve 8310, then upgraded to the Bold 9000, and I'm currently on the Bold 9700. Blackberry is experiencing a mass exodus of their user base for phones such as Android and iPhone units, and the reason is simple. They've gotten lazy with their innovation. They lost their hunger. They had 50 trillion subscribers paying that monthly $30 / month fee and were incredibly profitable... but that success took the wind out of their sails.

I'm one of those people that will be leaving RIM soon.

Companies like Apple, Samsung and Motorola are creating devices that are a bit more compelling to most consumers than Blackberry devices currently are. I think the final nail will be in their coffin soon.

The Blackberry Playbook IMO is not a worthy competitor to Android or Apple devices. The hardware is solid, and yeah it runs Flash... and I guess it does Android emulation, but the OS seems clunky to me. And it's about 2 years too late to have any real impact.

Today at Google's yearly tech conference in San Francisco, they announced Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for Q4 2011 which melds the (previously separated) worlds of phone and tablet operating systems into a single product. If I were to put money on a device, I think that's what I'd bet on.

I'm starting to rethink my options here, and wondering if I should just scrap the idea of using a tablet and go with an android phone like an htc or something. If I do something like that, I at least want a device that will let me use my wifi at home (if it's only 3G) and to save stuff to a microSD chip, browse the web and watch videos via netflix, etc. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get an iphone.

What are my options for such a device?

The netbook is a back up device for me for the middle of the night "Oh Crap" sessions. I certainly couldn't use it as my only device. I do love playing around with Linux though, it is a new learning of an old os. If and when I make the switch I am unfortunately at this time leaning towards the Ipad as it seems to be the best of all evils, but this is why I am not ready to make the jump.

As far as Blackberry, I have been a huge fan of theirs forever and can't remember when I didn't have one. When the OS6 came out for the 9700 I jumped on it quickly and after about a month I went back to OS5 and am glad I did. That being said I don't think I would go the route of the playbook just as a BB fan. The Playbook uses a totally different OS then the Bold does so you will not have the same experience. BB is loosing market share due to the lack of bling more then anything else. As far as a down and dirty business tool it is a workhorse and I still think it can't be beat in that aspect but the young-uns love the the bling!!

It's more than bling, though.

It's 1080p video recording

Touch to focus

It's a qHD screen (960x640)

It's having a logical touch interface.

It's having a dual-core processor.

It's having an HDMI out.

It's having an NFC interface.

Blackberry is a workhorse and I wouldn't have one otherwise... But I also want those features I just listed because stuff like 640x480 video resolution certainly is not rocking my world.

The new Blackberry 9900 will have 720p, and a touch interface with NFC... But like I said, too little too late. It won't be out until summer.

Profits,

Bill,

I was at Best Buy today and looked at the forum on a Motorola Xoom. It came up showing the mobile version.

I'm starting to rethink my options here, and wondering if I should just scrap the idea of using a tablet and go with an android phone like an htc or something. If I do something like that, I at least want a device that will let me use my wifi at home (if it's only 3G) and to save stuff to a microSD chip, browse the web and watch videos via netflix, etc. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get an iphone.

What are my options for such a device?

Darryl,

I just got the Samsung Fascinate which is an Android powered phone. I love the golpher out of it. I'm not sure if I like it so much because it is my first smart phone or because it is just that good. Either way, it does everything I need it to. It plays movies, shows website flash, opens word and PDF documents, and more.

I wouldn't consider using my phone as my primary way to access the interent but it does what I need it to, in a small and convenient package, when I'm not at home.

I wouldn't consider using my phone as my primary way to access the interent but it does what I need it to, in a small and convenient package, when I'm not at home.

And when the Mrs. grounds him from the computer. lol

Looks like Netflix is starting their rollout for android devices. So if Netflix is and option you may want to wait it out a bit and see what is available for the android tablets

• 1 month later...

Darryl,

I just got the Samsung Fascinate which is an Android powered phone. I love the golpher out of it. I'm not sure if I like it so much because it is my first smart phone or because it is just that good. Either way, it does everything I need it to. It plays movies, shows website flash, opens word and PDF documents, and more.

I have decided that I'm going to go with a smartphone. I'm going to get an HTC Inspire or a Samsung Captivate. Sams Club is selling the Captivate for $0.96 (yes, 96 cents) with a 2 year plan. The downside is that it is an Android 2.1 phone, whereas the Inspire is a 2.2. Don't know if it matters much. Wonder if either can be upgraded to 3.0 when it's available.

I have tried the android type phones twice and returned twice. They are great at everyhting they do, but in my opinion suck as a phone. It was very hard to use as far as making/receiving calls compared to a simple flip phone. I decided for me it was best to keep the computer sperate from the phone.

Archived