Labor/Service times

bil10219

Does anyone have an estimate of how long it should take to service a machine? What kind of productivity in machines per hour are you getting from the folks running your routes? I have some U-turns and they seem to be taking too long on some of the routes.

Thanks, Bill

Are those 4 or 8 selection machines?

I don't own any U-turns, but I do own a few 4-selection Vendesigns on my route.

Not sure if it's apples-to-apples since it's a different make/model, but...

I average less than 15min to service Vendesigns from the time I walk in the door to the time I walk out.

And I clean my machines very thoroughly on each visit top-to-bottom.

I'd imagine someone less diligent in their cleaning habits could shave several minutes off my average time.

NOW KEEP IN MIND: THAT'S FOR A CHARITY STOP.

My Vendesign commission stops might take longer and depend on the location and how I pay out their commission.

Are those 4 or 8 selection machines?

I don't own any U-turns, but I do own a few 4-selection Vendesigns on my route.

Not sure if it's apples-to-apples since it's a different make/model, but...

I average less than 15min to service Vendesigns from the time I walk in the door to the time I walk out.

And I clean my machines very thoroughly on each visit top-to-bottom.

I'd imagine someone less diligent in their cleaning habits could shave several minutes off my average time.

NOW KEEP IN MIND: THAT'S FOR A CHARITY STOP.

My Vendesign commission stops might take longer and depend on the location and how I pay out their commission.

Thanks for the reply. That's about what I average as well. I was just wondering if others average the same.

How do you keep an employee from skimming?

If I suspect that they are skimming, I precount some sites and see how the sites come in. you have to set it up with the customer ahead of time.

Service times on Uturns can vary. Mine are all 8 selection terminators. If you need to fill several canisters it can take extra time. If you have a coin mech issue ....extra time. I would say 15-20 minutes is a good estimate but occasionally it can take longer. I am not a fan of the Uturn design. It is by far the toughest machine to service.

I have a few rack locations that take over an hour. 16 or so heads. Cleaning and all takes time.

You missed the whole point of the original posters question.

He's speaking about servicing a specific machine.

One big pain about those Uturns is that too many coins do not fall into the coin box. So after taking out all 4 coin boxes, there are still coins laying on the bottom. It's not so easy to get your hand in there and at some point you will cut your fingers on an exposed screw sticking up. Sometimes a location will move the machine around and the coin boxes will move out of position. Then 90% of the coins are laying on the bottom. At that point you have to pick the entire machine up and turn it upside down to empty it! I am selling off my uturn fleet as we speak.

• 2 months later...

Is it ok to sorta hijack this thread? lol

I serviced my newly aquired route Sunday. Drive time NOT included. And its my first time dealing with Northwesterns, How do I lower my service time on 70 heads total? (10- 7head racks) It took me roughly 8hrs to do all the servicing. From the time I left until I got back was almost 10hrs.

I know it will be a little less time as time goes on, since I had to figure out how to get to the money. Plus with people moving by, sorta intimidated me also.

Also, while I'm at it, is there an easier way to get the quarters out? do they have coin trays or anything? half way through the route, my hand was cramping pretty bad from grabbing the quarters.

I serviced my newly aquired route Sunday. Drive time NOT included. And its my first time dealing with Northwesterns, How do I lower my service time on 70 heads total? (10- 7head racks) It took me roughly 8hrs to do all the servicing. From the time I left until I got back was almost 10hrs.

I know it will be a little less time as time goes on, since I had to figure out how to get to the money. Plus with people moving by, sorta intimidated me also.

Also, while I'm at it, is there an easier way to get the quarters out? do they have coin trays or anything? half way through the route, my hand was cramping pretty bad from grabbing the quarters.

Thats not bad timing if you added or changed product,counted money, and paid commission. 48 minutes per stop. If you just collected money then it is slow. A&A has coin trays for the PN95 that will fit just fine. They should be rather cheap.

Put the kids to work. Take them with you and let them with their little hands get in there. So what if they miss a few days of school, they are learning life lessons. LOL :-*

As I start changing my route profile to just gumballs and or toys, single and double head I am only using machines with the cash drawer on them. WOW what a time saver.

You dont even need to unlock the top if you dont need to fill.

Turn the key slide out the drawer and dump it into my bag thats it, quick wipe down and off you go!

I am using Rhinos for these but I know v-line and a couple others have them as well.

Rhino is a good all metal machine very durable, Nice color options also.

I like the yellow.

Frank

Really??? Intimidated by people moving by and got hand cramps from grabbing quarters? You are kidding right?shocked.gif

I was only bugged by the ones in Golden Corrals, the machines are in a vestibule that is roughly 6ft wide, Plus I had the boxes that Pam had the product in. Plus I don't like people staring me down as they walk by.

As for the cramping, Pam obviously didn't know about "taking the money" part.

I was only bugged by the ones in Golden Corrals, the machines are in a vestibule that is roughly 6ft wide, Plus I had the boxes that Pam had the product in. Plus I don't like people staring me down as they walk by.

As for the cramping, Pam obviously didn't know about "taking the money" part.

You really need some coin trays from A&A..it'll make servicing so much faster. I also hate people staring at me, never fails for the owner to stare right next to me while I'm collecting the coins...ugh. Even worse, is if I'm fixing something and they're right over my shoulder. Umm...please move? But if that's all I have to deal with while I'm there I'm a happy camper. Small talk and smiles usually keep them at bay ;D

I hate people "eyeballing" me when I service equipment but it is part of the job. I always try to hit my restaurants during off hours if possible.

The one Golden Corral that I service lets me in before they open. Makes servicing that location much easier and I think the manager likes it as well. Not sure if your Marsh locations are 24 hrs or not but if you are an early riser you can hit those very early as well. I know it is a long drive for you but you may consider hitting the locations over a two week period at least for a while until you feel more comfortable with the route. Whether you stay with servicing all in one day or split it up I can assure you that your service time will reduce as you become more comfortable with the equipment and the route schedule.

I hate people "eyeballing" me when I service equipment but it is part of the job. I always try to hit my restaurants during off hours if possible.

The one Golden Corral that I service lets me in before they open. Makes servicing that location much easier and I think the manager likes it as well. Not sure if your Marsh locations are 24 hrs or not but if you are an early riser you can hit those very early as well. I know it is a long drive for you but you may consider hitting the locations over a two week period at least for a while until you feel more comfortable with the route. Whether you stay with servicing all in one day or split it up I can assure you that your service time will reduce as you become more comfortable with the equipment and the route schedule.

Now why in the world did I not think of that gumball guy???!!!!!!! I will contact the Golden Corrals to see if I can get in a little early and the Marsh stores are in fact 24hr stores so I can hit them in the middle of the night.

I can plan out a route and divide the route up into two days so I'm getting to the places at the least busiest times. Awesome idea! Thanks! B)B)

Archived