Helping a person

dpvnc

Hi all:

I have a friend that has a wife and 2 kids. The down turn in the economy has devistated his job and now his family is hurting. Since I started about a year ago year ago. I was able to grow really fast to about about 100 heads out. I would lie to pay it forward a bit and use the philosophy " if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a life time" I am thinking about giving him one of my gravy accounts and a couple other locations plus a few machines (but I need stands) Has any one ever done this? I need advice he lives south of me 45 minutes so he really is not in my area.

Hi all:

I have a friend that has a wife and 2 kids. The down turn in the economy has devistated his job and now his family is hurting. Since I started about a year ago year ago. I was able to grow really fast to about about 100 heads out. I would lie to pay it forward a bit and use the philosophy " if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a life time" I am thinking about giving him one of my gravy accounts and a couple other locations plus a few machines (but I need stands) Has any one ever done this? I need advice he lives south of me 45 minutes so he really is not in my area.

That is very nice of you.

I've never done it, but don't think you should have any trouble even if he were not 45min away.

There are those that tell you business is a cut-throat world.

Whether you are in vending or any other industry, there are some vicious people out there who sacrifice their soul for the betterment of their bottom line.

But, the good people outnumber the bad...you just don't hear as much from the good folks in the business world.

One of my closest competitors (in route size and geographic area) has become a friend of mine.

We have machines at some of the same locations.

And we've even helped each other out with needed machine parts on occasion.

We decided a long time ago: we are going to compete regardless.

So we can either compete as friends or compete as enemies.

It's a lot more fun and a lot less stressful to compete as friends.

I commend you for helping your friend.

First, your generosity is to be commended.

My question is: Is this something he is interested in or is there a possibility that when things get better for him that these will wind up being some of those abandoned machines we hear about all the time? If you are satisfied that he will earnestly work this opportunity then by all means go ahead.

First, your generosity is to be commended.

My question is: Is this something he is interested in or is there a possibility that when things get better for him that these will wind up being some of those abandoned machines we hear about all the time? If you are satisfied that he will earnestly work this opportunity then by all means go ahead.

That's a good point.

If he's not interested in vending long-term or unsure if he'll like it, maybe the locations/equipment can be given to him with the understanding that he will work the locations only as long as he wants/needs and that he will return them to you the minute he's ready to move on.

There are a lot of good people in business. To expand on what Sherlock said, when one company does something bad, it becomes front page news, but you never hear, "Thousands of CEO's did not rip off their customers, employees, or shareholders today." No news is good news has 2 meanings.

Competition in business is just like competition in sports. You don't need to hate the opponent, but you can still try to kick his golpher. Just expect him to try to kick yours.

Anyway, this is a good gesture on your part dpvnc. But always be on the lookout for the economy excuse. Yes there was a downturn in the economy, but there are too many people who use that as their excuse not to work, or try. Many people don't realize they are doing it, but they still do.

Right after we were told the economy was in bad shape, (because apparently nobody knew until they were told,) my income at work went down. But I had paid off a whole bunch of debt, and were starting to feel the effects, so financially we were never better. (And over 8 years our landlord had only raised our rent by $25, so that may have helped too.)

If you can get him to listen to the Dave Ramsey show, that may help too, and could help get him to the point that he will never have to struggle again.

Thanks for the input all. Thanks to those who have offered to help. I must say this friend is not a recent one I have know him for about 5 years and basically watched as things have gone hay wire.

I normally do not give to the card board sign crowd around here I feel a man must work.So What I am going to share is all the stuff I have learned here in the last year ,showing him how to work and grow this as you have helped me to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My friend and I went out Locating yesterday. We both ended up with a new location each. Best thing is his already wants an upgrade. to a double. It was nice having someone to chat with as we drove around.

My friend and I went out Locating yesterday. We both ended up with a new location each. Best thing is his already wants an upgrade. to a double. It was nice having someone to chat with as we drove around.

Very Cool.

Keep the train rolling and pretty soon he'll have dozens of machines out earning quarters.......

Archived