What is your opening line to a manager / store owner?

VBVending

It really depends on the type of account it is but first I go in with a positive attitude. Most of the accounts that I attempt to get in I have already learned something about their business or have other accounts just like theirs. (Make sure that you have found a couple of locations within the account to place your vending machines.) One of the top objections is, I don't have room for machines. With that said, I ask them if they have every thought about adding vending machines to earn extra money for their business. Before they have a chance to answer, I tell them about other accounts that do very well with vending machines that are similar to their store. Again, without them having a chance to say, yes or no, I tell them that it will cost them nothing and that I do all the work and that they could get xx% of my business for doing nothing. Now, I wait for a response. If it's yes, I am done and thank them. If it's no. I have an arsenal of come backs for negative answers. I will not give up until I sense that they are really finished with me asking.

That is a great 1st response. I like the positive comebacks you have for all the negative things that they may send your way.

Keep them coming guys, this is great stuff.

I feel much more at ease and confident in my ability to sell myslef and my machines if there is already someone else on location. I can sell the professional end with proper licensing, insurance, etc as well as my equipment being superior as I am using all Beaver machines. I can come up with a hundred ways I can better serve them and improve the look of their vending area. Where I get nervous and have a harder time is when there is a great location with no machines. I am usually worried they had a bad experience in the past that may make it a tougher sell. All in all if you beleive in yourself, your machines, and the service you can provide, selling is usually pretty easy. I was talking to someone a few weeks ago aboout my start in vending and he asked how I was going to do this or that, and I replied that I never once even considered that I could not or would not be able to do it. Self confidence is BIG and you have to beleive in yourself or you can't expect anyone else to either.

Why do you guys get into that. If you are able to convince a manager/owner to kick out another vendor and let you in than sooner or later it will happen to you. More power to you. It would be a real pain for me to move a ton of equipment because I was kicked out or replaced.

Why do you guys get into that. If you are able to convince a manager/owner to kick out another vendor and let you in than sooner or later it will happen to you. More power to you. It would be a real pain for me to move a ton of equipment because I was kicked out or replaced.

We will all lose locations from time to time and there is no way to prevent it. I only ask when it is clear in my mind that I can better serve the client vs. the current vendor. I never make my sales pitch based on comission but quality and service. I point blank tell store owners that there will always be someone paying a better comission than me, but you have to figure in a lot of other variables to make your decision. Is the business owner licensed and insured, do you want to accept the added liability of the machines if they are not? Are the machines clean, problem free to you,or do you have customers complaining about them? Is the service as well as the comission checks timely as promised?

My opening is usually something like " I see you have vending machines in here, how is that working out for you. If there are complaints, I make my pitch, if they say everything is going well, I say thank you for your time, I am also in that bsuiness and if I can ever be of service to you please give me a call, and hand them a card. Normally from what I have found, is the current vendor is the reason I get the location because of their non performance in the business. I would never just try to sell on the basis of paying more comission.

We will all lose locations from time to time and there is no way to prevent it. I only ask when it is clear in my mind that I can better serve the client vs. the current vendor. I never make my sales pitch based on comission but quality and service. I point blank tell store owners that there will always be someone paying a better comission than me, but you have to figure in a lot of other variables to make your decision. Is the business owner licensed and insured, do you want to accept the added liability of the machines if they are not? Are the machines clean, problem free to you,or do you have customers complaining about them? Is the service as well as the comission checks timely as promised?

My opening is usually something like " I see you have vending machines in here, how is that working out for you. If there are complaints, I make my pitch, if they say everything is going well, I say thank you for your time, I am also in that bsuiness and if I can ever be of service to you please give me a call, and hand them a card. Normally from what I have found, is the current vendor is the reason I get the location because of their non performance in the business. I would never just try to sell on the basis of paying more comission.

Thanks for the clarity. It makes sense to me now.

I have never lost a location (that i know of) due to some one else paying more. The reason I ask is that there are many companies that only pay 15 to 20% or nothing. And with my pitch I can knock those guys out. I also almost always slide a contract in front of them also and that also makes them them think twice about giving me the kick out call. Providing great service is a good way to keep a location. To be honest telling them how great your service is wont normally grab you the location. With locations that get comm. its mostly about the money. Do your homework look at the vendors in your service area and see what they are paying. You need to know to have the upper hand.

In 1983 I started in lawn service here in Florida and got out of the business in 1998. The main reason is I could make a honest living at it 1983 but over the next 15 years the business became very cutthroat. Every time I turned around there was a new guy wanting to do the same yard for a dollar cheaper. In 1983 I serviced an average yard for $32 and could make a living. In 1998 when I sold my business the same yards were getting $22 and I was struggling to stay afloat. I know we are not talking about the same thing here but it just reminded me of the disaster that the lawn business has become in my area. If my yards looked bad or I didn't show up to cut them I could understand but that was not the case. Guys would just leave their low ball bid just to get the job. I don't think that is what anyone is talking about here but the topic just reminded me of what happened and I sure hope that doesn't happen to the vending industry.

We will all lose an account from time to time but most of the time if your service is excellent and you have a good relationship with the account owner, you will stay in the account no matter who comes along.

Ask yourself this question. How many stores have you been in that the machines look dirty and empty yet the store owner will not take you in because he doesn't want to hurt the other guy, (his friend).

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Let me first say this is my first posting and that I am still very new to this vending machine business.

This works for me

No machines at location:

When I am scoping out new locations I already know myself about the type and amount of traffic. I send in wife/friend/brother (spy's) in first. Then they tell me what, if any machines are there. If there are no machines I go in later in my uniform and clip board an TELL them "HI some of my friends/wife/brother/ (spy's) AND the locations customers/clients (whatever) were in here recently and said they could not find a soda machine (I do snack and soda).

They (the location) will tell YOU why they don't have one, maybe the location will TELL you they tried to call the big guys who all have minimums (employees,foot traffic) and therefore could not get a machine placed. The location may have even called another big guy with the same results and gave up looking for a vending company altogether. This is great news to you, because now you TELL them who you are and what you do. "Well My name is XXX and I own xyz vending company and I have a soda machine I can put in here for you". The location may reply with again how unsuccessful they were with the big guys.

Most times, if you are at this point you are no longer in the asking/selling mode.

They (the location) have already made it up their mind that a soda machine IS being placed, not IF a machine is being placed, but WHEN and HOW FAST is the machine is getting to that location.

Thats it! I never had to ASK them if I could place a machine.

I really should make a flowchart for my ways. There are so many more ways to add locations without having to ask.

I came up with this plan after reading a for sale ad on CL

Example I found on CL for $1100

Woman had to get machines (3 i think it was) out the location (sorry this is hidden as it is an untapped market LOL. once I secure the other 3 locations of this type in my area I may reveal this location type) she said the machines were grossing $500-$600/month (soda snack and bulk was at this location) I thought "yeah right" So I found out the address of the location and surveyed the location to see if her numbers could match up with the traffic at the location. The numbers were matching. I then found the same type of location and sent my spy's in.

The results were NO machines whatsoever!

After applying the above Flow/scrip, whatever you want to call it I got machines placed at the location EXACTLY as explained above.

The machines are all setup and running at the location now and they are already doing well.

Both of these locations in my example had "convenience" stores near them, if you did not mind crossing a 4 lane divided major road.

With the locations background information you have you can now go in there armed and ready to TELL them why you NEED to place one of your machines at that location.

And NOT ask them!

OK I think I covered it all.

Let me know if I missed something and I hope this helps.

-Phil

I would like to pay you monthly for allowing me to place a toy machine in your location. DO NOT ASK!

oh i see, what if they have an existing vendor,clearly you cant say

"you are not satisfied with your current vendor."

unless u are obi-wan kenobi ;)

Archived