Kickstart just placed an AlcoBuddy breathalyzer machine in a bar for me

This is a specialized machine but I figure folks always need more locator feedback so here you go. Rob at Kickstart placed it for me. Well sort of. He gave me a location with an appointment time to demo the machine and try to "sell" them on it. Rob said the locations are usually done deals by the time its sent to me for placement, but apparently sometimes they arent done deals and I will have to "sell" them on the machine and hope they accept it.

Someone let me know if this is standard operating procedure for vending machine locators and I will edit this post?

To Robs credit I got the appointment time for the location very fast, two days. In fact it was so fast my AlcoBuddy machine hadnt even arrived at my home yet and I had to make sure the appointment date wasnt before the delivery date.

After I was done with the demo the owner said he needed to talk to his co-owner and managers to make sure it was ok to do. So after a week of trying to chase down the owner and managers and making sure everyone was in agreement, the GM said its a go, so I installed it yesterday afternoon. So alls well that ends well.

The location itself seems very good. Its downtown where I wanted it, around 300-600 people per night, party district, etc. And I managed to find a spot in the bar that is high visibility and high foot traffic part of the bar (near bathrooms). So Im looking forward to the first pull in about a month.

If every location went like this one did I would be happy actually but would much rather have a secured location sent to me instead of just a sales lead.

I like Rob and KS and this is my first experience with them and I dont want to bad mouth them per se, but I know I appreciated locator feedback from you guys on this sort of thing so I am doing my part to share my experiences.

Yes, this is common. And yes it's to be expected. In fact, the location is doing you a favor by being flexible & allowing you to pre-qualify them and give you the opportunity to align yourself with their expectations and avoid putting yourself into a situation where you're delivering something they're not entirely expecting. I'd much rather sit down with someone and feel them out, talk to them about their needs, find out what their expectations are, and be able to figure out how I fit in... rather than coming in guns blazing, and getting kicked out.

The locator is also doing you a favor by not just simply asking for a solid yes or a solid no. In that circumstance, the answer will be no. Ask yourself how often you've gotten a call from a telemarketer and said yes to something sight unseen? That would be unrealistic to expect.

Yes, this is common. And yes it's to be expected. In fact, the location is doing you a favor by being flexible & allowing you to pre-qualify them and give you the opportunity to align yourself with their expectations and avoid putting yourself into a situation where you're delivering something they're not entirely expecting. I'd much rather sit down with someone and feel them out, talk to them about their needs, find out what their expectations are, and be able to figure out how I fit in... rather than coming in guns blazing, and getting kicked out.

The locator is also doing you a favor by not just simply asking for a solid yes or a solid no. In that circumstance, the answer will be no. Ask yourself how often you've gotten a call from a telemarketer and said yes to something sight unseen? That would be unrealistic to expect.

It wont let me edit my original post but what you say makes sense and can see how that is a good thing now. I just fear having many locations turn me down that locators send me to is all, but such is life. Im not going to let that stop me and like I said if they all go like this first one did I will be very happy.

It wont let me edit my original post but what you say makes sense and can see how that is a good thing now. I just fear having many locations turn me down that locators send me to is all, but such is life. Im not going to let that stop me and like I said if they all go like this first one did I will be very happy.

What kind of commission are you having to pay ?

I think the biggest thing is just not to expect a yes when you've got a telemarketer calling. Expect a maybe, and then go in and impress the hell out of them. I use the opportunity to my advantage, because I know nobody can match what I do.

Remember, the telemarketer is just some kid trying to earn some beer money. You're the one that has to deliver.

This is a specialized machine but I figure folks always need more locator feedback so here you go. Rob at Kickstart placed it for me. Well sort of. He gave me a location with an appointment time to demo the machine and try to "sell" them on it. Rob said the locations are usually done deals by the time its sent to me for placement, but apparently sometimes they arent done deals and I will have to "sell" them on the machine and hope they accept it.

Someone let me know if this is standard operating procedure for vending machine locators and I will edit this post?

In my younger days, I simply wanted to be the delivery boy. Just show up and drop off the machine - no hassles, no questions, no problems. But that is no loner practical today, IMO.

Today, I no longer call them locators, rather lead generators. When I walk into any prospective location, I need to determine what type of equipment (double, triple, sticker, rack, etc.) and what type of relationship (charity, commission, etc.) and what space is available and what type of stand is needed to fit into the space provided. So answering questions, overcoming objections, repeat visits are part of that inconvenient sales process. So yea, I now expect to sell them on the idea when I walk into the door. No big deal, just be prepared. And of course you need a right to refuse in order to do this properly.

As far as not getting a solid "yes", those "yes's" are getting harder and harder to come by! So many locators (opps, I mean lead generators) will position a "maybe" as a "yes" in hopes that you will be able to close the deal on your own. But they will never admit that.

Just did a spot check of the machine since I was in the area and so far $22 for 4 days, which in this case is a whole week since this place is only open 4 days a week. So hopefully it stays on pace for $84 or more for the month. Thats not bad for my very first try I dont think. Hopefully in a bar thats comparable but open 7 days I can get about $110 a month. That would work for me. Im gonna buy another machine and place another order with Rob.

• 4 weeks later...

Just did a first pull and there was $76 in it. Kinda on the low end but for a first try thats ok. Plus this bar is only open 4 days a week which im sure makes a difference. Got two more machines ready to go out and just made another order with KS for one location.

• 11 months later...

Just did a spot check of the machine since I was in the area and so far $22 for 4 days, which in this case is a whole week since this place is only open 4 days a week. So hopefully it stays on pace for $84 or more for the month. Thats not bad for my very first try I dont think. Hopefully in a bar thats comparable but open 7 days I can get about $110 a month. That would work for me. Im gonna buy another machine and place another order with Rob.

I checked kick starts website and didnt see it on the menu - how much do they charge for "generating the lead" ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived