Dixie issue...with coin mech

My DN276 has been acting weird. I had a bad coinco 9370-S that I replaced, and I also replaced the vend relay. The new mech's power LED flickers after it's been plugged into the machine for more than a few minutes. I pulled the mech and tested it in another single price machine, and it worked perfectly for the hour I had it in the machine. Brought it back to to DN276 and same issue. Any ideas? I am assuming that there is a bad wire in the harness that the mech plugs into? I need to get this machine placed for next weekend and it's driving crazy! I am familiar with electronics and I know how to use an electrical meter, so if you've had similar issues, please clue me in.

By testing the mech in another machine certainly eliminates that as the problem. The different relay would assumingly eliminate that. The next thing I would do is check the connectors down near the bottom of the door and make sure nothing is loose or gummed up. I would also suggest spraying down the motors and the switches on the motors with WD40 (and only WD) to clean them up and make sure they are not sticking and sending a bad signal.

The old machines hook everything up in series to prevent multi vending. Unfortunately, this means that anywhere can shut the machine down.

Try these things and report back....

By testing the mech in another machine certainly eliminates that as the problem. The different relay would assumingly eliminate that. The next thing I would do is check the connectors down near the bottom of the door and make sure nothing is loose or gummed up. I would also suggest spraying down the motors and the switches on the motors with WD40 (and only WD) to clean them up and make sure they are not sticking and sending a bad signal.

The old machines hook everything up in series to prevent multi vending. Unfortunately, this means that anywhere can shut the machine down.

Try these things and report back....

The wire harness that runs from the vend relay, down the door switches, through the box that holds the flourescent ballast, and runs into the machine is wrapped completely. There are no plugs. The wiring branches to the buttons of the machine, terminating at each button. The wire harness then goes into the cabinet, and snakes across to each of the vend motors. I couldn't find any breaks, I sprayed down the motors and switches with WD-40, and still no change. Is there a voltage, resistance, or continuity that can be checked in each wire?

The wire harness that runs from the vend relay, down the door switches, through the box that holds the flourescent ballast, and runs into the machine is wrapped completely. There are no plugs. The wiring branches to the buttons of the machine, terminating at each button. The wire harness then goes into the cabinet, and snakes across to each of the vend motors. I couldn't find any breaks, I sprayed down the motors and switches with WD-40, and still no change. Is there a voltage, resistance, or continuity that can be checked in each wire?

There are no connectors in the box with the ballast? If I remember correctly pins 1 and 2 should be 110volts. It sounds as if you are not getting a good connection somewhere and are losing a clean 100 input. Look at the changer plug and the relay plug. Power goes through the machine and across every motor in the machine in a series circuit. The problem is if it is fluctuating it could be anything from a loose connection to a bad switch to a broken wire.

There are no connectors in the box with the ballast? If I remember correctly pins 1 and 2 should be 110volts. It sounds as if you are not getting a good connection somewhere and are losing a clean 100 input. Look at the changer plug and the relay plug. Power goes through the machine and across every motor in the machine in a series circuit. The problem is if it is fluctuating it could be anything from a loose connection to a bad switch to a broken wire.

I'll check again and post pics if I can't figure it out. Wouldn't be my first rewire of a machine....but I guess we'll see. I printed the wire diagram of the machine, and I will let you know.

I'll check again and post pics if I can't figure it out. Wouldn't be my first rewire of a machine....but I guess we'll see. I printed the wire diagram of the machine, and I will let you know.

One thing to try with the mech plug make sure the spades are good and clean. What sometimes happens is the female receptable can loosen up internally over time. After you do that take a needle nose pliers and give each spade a little twist. The spades will be barely perceptable out of stright alignment. By giving them a very slight twist you will make a better connection inside the plug.Then repulg and see what happens. It may or may not help but it is a simple try.

One thing to try with the mech plug make sure the spades are good and clean. What sometimes happens is the female receptable can loosen up internally over time. After you do that take a needle nose pliers and give each spade a little twist. The spades will be barely perceptable out of stright alignment. By giving them a very slight twist you will make a better connection inside the plug.Then repulg and see what happens. It may or may not help but it is a simple try.

This appears to have worked sort of. I was checking all of the connections in the machine again, and according to the Dixie manual I found, it explained that you start checking electrical issues from the power source forward, which makes sense since everything is in series. I didn'nt want to take all of the sheathing of the harness just yet so I did something from my old school car stereo days, and just massaged it a bit after check all of the switch connections on the motor. I unplugged and cleaned the connector at the bottom of the door, and went ahead and did the lights too. I continued working my way up checking all of the sold out lamps, and selection switches and the plug for the changer. I tweaked all of the blades on the harness adaptor for the bill acceptor, and on the coin mech. They fit nice and tight now. I pulled the vend relay and did the same. When I went to put the relay back in, I noticed that one of the wires move a bit on the female receptacle I was plugging into. Now, I had looked at this thing 50 tims by this point, and I failed to notice the electrical tape aroundthe wiring. I pulled the tape, and discovered that one of the plastic legs on the back was cracked off, and on another wire, more electrical tape. That wire had been burned and cut some time in the past. I stripped and cleaned it up, crimped it, and attached the other wire back onto the vend relay. I need to replace the receptacle, as this appears to have solved the problem for now. What a pain in the butt! Thanks to the 3 gentlemen who gave me their time on the phone, I owe you all a drink if we meet in person someday. I attached pics and if anyone has an idea on where I can get this receptacle let me know.

post-1847-0-11921900-1305592022_thumb.jpg

post-1847-0-69399400-1305592085_thumb.jpg

Archived