Is the vendor liable for a Monster over dose?

I know none of us are lawyers etc, But this peaked my curiosity.

I have a location that I vend Monsters. Monster out sells all the other drinks. I have been told that two of the people that work there, always seems to have a monster in hand. I go through anywhere between 45-50 Monsters a week. I asked one of the customers while I was servicing, "how many of these things do you drink?" his reply was that he cannot get through the day without drinking at least 4 of them, if it is a "slow" day, he has been known to drink 6-7 of them. He said, he drinks one on the way to work and has one for lunch when he goes home, then he usually buys 2-5 out of my machine a day!

My question, if he was to go to the hospital due to too much monster, Could I be liable for this? everyone is over 18 that has access to my machine. Unless the Boss's wife comes in, then he usually gets his girls a Fanta Orange.

I have a location that I vend Monsters. Monster out sells all the other drinks. I have been told that two of the people that work there, always seems to have a monster in hand. I go through anywhere between 45-50 Monsters a week. I asked one of the customers while I was servicing, "how many of these things do you drink?" his reply was that he cannot get through the day without drinking at least 4 of them, if it is a "slow" day, he has been known to drink 6-7 of them. He said, he drinks one on the way to work and has one for lunch when he goes home, then he usually buys 2-5 out of my machine a day!

My question, if he was to go to the hospital due to too much monster, Could I be liable for this? everyone is over 18 that has access to my machine. Unless the Boss's wife comes in, then he usually gets his girls a Fanta Orange.

No you are not liable, but that does not mean you won`t get a lawsuit dropped on you. In product liability cases the lawyers will sue EVERYONE involved to get find any $$ that me be taken and then its up to you to get the judge to let you out. That`s why you get liability insurance.

This is a good question just dont tell any ACLU Lawyers and we should be fine.

Seriously, your not holding a gun to the guys head, I wouldnt worry about it but that just me.

Two generations from now kids are going to be talking over their leafy green salads with nothing on them saying " My granpa told me once about these things called snicker bars and how he wished they werent outlawed. They must have really enjoyed living back then.

Its better to burn out than it is to rust"

Neil Young

overdose of monster would be very unusual, i suspect. look at it this way most energy drinks have about 2x the caffeine of coffee. does 12 cups of coffee a day seem unreasonable?

good point!

I had a site stop me from selling Redbull and other energy drinks because one of their drivers drank 4 x cans and had a heart attack so they dont wont to be liable if something like this happens again.

It's possible that all that caffeine was a trigger for the heart attack but it was not the cause. I'd be willing to make a significant bet that the guy smoked and/or was overweight or had other poor lifestyle choices leading up to the event.

Archived