Some Newbie Questions

OzVender

Hello everyone, just about to venture into the business myself. Awaiting arrival of just over 50 machines :) Costing me $6000 AUD but this is cheap for a machine in Oz i have found after doing my research! A few questions i have are...

1) Has anyone tried using non branded candy? How did they get on with it?

2) If your machines are fitted with adjustable bulk candy wheels, will they work if you put 1" gumballs in too? Or would you need to specifically have a gumball wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Ozvender

Hello everyone, just about to venture into the business myself. Awaiting arrival of just over 50 machines :) Costing me $6000 AUD but this is cheap for a machine in Oz i have found after doing my research! A few questions i have are...

1) Has anyone tried using non branded candy? How did they get on with it?

2) If your machines are fitted with adjustable bulk candy wheels, will they work if you put 1" gumballs in too? Or would you need to specifically have a gumball wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Ozvender

I would stay away from off brand candy as customers generally are not as happy with it. Your cost of goods should be cheap enough with name brand to still allow you a nice profit. As for the wheels, you will need a gumball wheel for the size of gumballs you are vending.

Good luck on your venture and be sure to stick around here to learn as you go and keep us posted on your progress!!

Thanks for the advice Pnut.

With the gumball wheels can you change the number of gumballs they dispense or is it always just the one?

On another note, i am currently ordering some more machines which are triple heads and for each of the canisters you can decide whether to have a $ .2, .5, 1 or 2 AUD coin mech. Do you find it is best to have all three the same, or to have say two $1 and one $ .2?

I was thinking of putting PMM and say Skilttles in the $1 and possibly gumballs in the other, but if they only dispense one at a time its a little cheeky to charge $1 for 1 gumball, so was thinking maybe better to go for say $ .2, but then even so, the profit i would make would be less compared to say having three $1 and having a third such as jelly beans etc. Hence why i ask about how many gumballs are dispensed per go.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice Pnut.

With the gumball wheels can you change the number of gumballs they dispense or is it always just the one?

On another note, i am currently ordering some more machines which are triple heads and for each of the canisters you can decide whether to have a $ .2, .5, 1 or 2 AUD coin mech. Do you find it is best to have all three the same, or to have say two $1 and one $ .2?

I was thinking of putting PMM and say Skilttles in the $1 and possibly gumballs in the other, but if they only dispense one at a time its a little cheeky to charge $1 for 1 gumball, so was thinking maybe better to go for say $ .2, but then even so, the profit i would make would be less compared to say having three $1 and having a third such as jelly beans etc. Hence why i ask about how many gumballs are dispensed per go.

Cheers,

The gumball wheel will only dispense one gumball per vend. They do make a wheel that will dispense 2 per vend for some machines. I am not sure how others are pricing in your area, but you may want to size up what you have for competition in your area so that you can be in the same ballpark price wise.

U-Turn and im in Australia.

We have U-Turns in the US too, and quite frankly, they are overpriced machines, even here. Most places cannot support 4 different choices of candy, much less 8. Since U-Turn is an import for you, you should look into other US or Canadian machines. People rave about the Canadian Beavers, and I know that they will accept many different currencies. You might also try Northwestern machines. They have a very good triple machine that can be made to vend different currencies, and can even vend capsule toys, which is something that U-Turn or any other triple machine can't do.

We have U-Turns in the US too, and quite frankly, they are overpriced machines, even here. Most places cannot support 4 different choices of candy, much less 8. Since U-Turn is an import for you, you should look into other US or Canadian machines. People rave about the Canadian Beavers, and I know that they will accept many different currencies. You might also try Northwestern machines. They have a very good triple machine that can be made to vend different currencies, and can even vend capsule toys, which is something that U-Turn or any other triple machine can't do.

I've purchased 4 U-Turns (all 4-in-1 models). There is nothing inherently wrong with these machines, except that it is difficult to get the quarters out. I wouldn't think of buying U-Turns new. I've paid on average about $90 for them on eBay. Most of your locations will not support a 4 canister machine though. I recommend that - unless you know that the location is a solid winner in terms of foot traffic - to fill the canisters only about 1/2 way to start, so that you can avoid having to throw out stale candy, then calibrate up on the candy volume as experience warrants.

Archived