I really hate vending candy!

dperry

point well taken. Sales suck and the heat of the summer ruin a bunch of it. Esp when the location owners uses your machine as a door prop. lol The only candy type items i have are gum balls and they don't really count. And about 2 cs of runts. I have been pulling candy wheels and replacing with 1.1 caps and .50 coin mechs

Last cycle I figured I'd get on the candy band wagon and got some m&m (plain and peanut). Didn't put much in the heads, but still managed to throw out about half the product at each location. Luckily I only have about 3 or 4 candy locations. M&M's get really nasty really quickly. Also found out that my local sams is not selling skittles anymore. Now your only choices for bulk candy are M&M Plain, M&M Peanut, M&M Peanut butter, and M&M pretzel. Then you got mike & ikes and hot tamales. That's it.

Last cycle I figured I'd get on the candy band wagon and got some m&m (plain and peanut). Didn't put much in the heads, but still managed to throw out about half the product at each location. Luckily I only have about 3 or 4 candy locations. M&M's get really nasty really quickly. Also found out that my local sams is not selling skittles anymore. Now your only choices for bulk candy are M&M Plain, M&M Peanut, M&M Peanut butter, and M&M pretzel. Then you got mike & ikes and hot tamales. That's it.

How long do you wait before you decide that you need to toss the remaining candy?

Most bulk vendors start off with candy. It's the natural place to start. But no bulk vendor can earn a full time living from just candy. The vend volume is just not there in most locations. With rising candy prices, it makes it even more undesirable to vend most candy products. M&I is now over $7 per bag, RP and SK are approaching $6 per bag. MP (the most popular and but most expensive) hovers at $8 to $9 per bag. Plus we still have to vend a reasonable number of pieces. Candy seems to be the one product that will just not sell at 50 cents. So raising the price is not a practical option. M&I and SK still clump up in the summer time (which runs from May to October in this state). Then add product waste due to bugs, sun and humid weather to make matters worse. Hard pressed candy (at the right price) is really the only other candy option.

How long do you wait before you decide that you need to toss the remaining candy?

Took me about 2 seconds. I walked into the place, saw all the cracked and powdery candy, pulled it out, and threw it away. Then I had to wipe down the inside of the globe to get all the crusty melty and powdery gunk out of there. Then like a fool, I put in more candy. Only about 1/4 of what I had put in there before tho.

Hard pressed candy (at the right price) is really the only other candy option.

Skittles fare much better than chocolate candies like M&M's. Too bad that my Sams doesn't carry it anymore. I got Mike& Ike's instead.

Took me about 2 seconds. I walked into the place, saw all the cracked and powdery candy, pulled it out, and threw it away. Then I had to wipe down the inside of the globe to get all the crusty melty and powdery gunk out of there. Then like a fool, I put in more candy. Only about 1/4 of what I had put in there before tho.

Skittles fare much better than chocolate candies like M&M's. Too bad that my Sams doesn't carry it anymore. I got Mike& Ike's instead.

I guess I should have asked my question more clearly.

If you load your machine with, say Skittles or PM&Ms, on June 1st and by, for example, July 31st that candy has not sold completely out, how do you handle the situation? Dump the remaining candy and refill with fresh? Mix the old with a greater amount of fresh? And is the passage of two months, in and of itself, a sufficient reason to declare the remaining candy too old to vend, or do you need to see in addition some visual evidence of staleness (e.g., cracking, powder residue) in order to prompt a refresh?

I think candy is fine. Aside from rising cost, if there is spoilage it is your fault. I pull and relocate fast.

My service cycles are generally about 8 weeks or so. So yes, I could be servicing sooner, but for one or two candy stops, it's not worth it to me to make the extra drive. But with candy requiring shorter service cycles, then that just qualifies for another reason why <see thread title>

I did not do candy vending when I first started. I started with single gumball charity machines. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I started with toys and racks. I don't know what made me think that I should backtrack and start selling candy. Every time I've tried, it's always been a flop. The only candy that was ever any good was skittles. Everything else has been a waste. I'm prolly just going to pull those candy stops of mine if I can't convert them to toys.

Anyhow, if we see hyperinflation on candy goods, its gameover. No more candy.

This is what happened in my area:

skittles was 5.88, now 6.28

reeses pieces was 5.77, now 6.88

this occured 1-2 weeks ago.

I guess I should have asked my question more clearly.

If you load your machine with, say Skittles or PM&Ms, on June 1st and by, for example, July 31st that candy has not sold completely out, how do you handle the situation? Dump the remaining candy and refill with fresh? Mix the old with a greater amount of fresh? And is the passage of two months, in and of itself, a sufficient reason to declare the remaining candy too old to vend, or do you need to see in addition some visual evidence of staleness (e.g., cracking, powder residue) in order to prompt a refresh?

If my candy fades due to sunlight, I will mix it in with fresh candy if the product is selling at a descent rate. If not, I just pull the machine. You also want to line the back (part of your machine that's facing to sun) of your machine with candy labels for sunlight protection.

I guess I officially don't hate vending candy, at least not yet. I just did a pull from one of my 3 Mexican restaurants: $16 on 7 days of activity. So, that's $2.28 per day, x 30 days = $68.40 per month, gross, on 1 machine. With about a 70% profit margin on the candy, that's $47.88 net per month. I paid $83 for the machine on Ebay. That means the machine will pay for itself after 36 days on the job.

Let's say it costs $9,000 a month to live comfortably. $9,000 / $47.88 = 188 machines. If there were any way to keep getting nearly new machines for $83, you could set yourself free from the W2 world of work for $15, 601 + any locating fees.

I guess I officially don't hate vending candy, at least not yet. I just did a pull from one of my 3 Mexican restaurants: $16 on 7 days of activity. So, that's $2.28 per day, x 30 days = $68.40 per month, gross, on 1 machine. With about a 70% profit margin on the candy, that's $47.88 net per month. I paid $83 for the machine on Ebay. That means the machine will pay for itself after 36 days on the job.

Let's say it costs $9,000 a month to live comfortably. $9,000 / $47.88 = 188 machines. If there were any way to keep getting nearly new machines for $83, you could set yourself free from the W2 world of work for $15, 601 + any locating fees.

Hold that thought! What about the $3.00 a month locations your bound to get a few of those until you find the gravy

Hold that thought! What about the $3.00 a month locations your bound to get a few of those until you find the gravy

You are right. I am mostly just having fun extrapolating out from a limited sample to achieve a best case scenario. I have no idea how to keep getting $60+ accounts, or how to keep buying 4 head machines for $83. It's fun to dream.

You are right. I am mostly just having fun extrapolating out from a limited sample to achieve a best case scenario. I have no idea how to keep getting $60+ accounts, or how to keep buying 4 head machines for $83. It's fun to dream.

4 head machines for $83 is a good deal, assuming they're in good enough condition. I just bought a couple 4-ways for $448.50 per rack.

4 head machines for $83 is a good deal, assuming they're in good enough condition. I just bought a couple 4-ways for $448.50 per rack.

Thanks. I got the 3 four canister machines, U-turns, for an average of $83 apiece. I put in an extremely low bid on eBay, never thinking that the machines would go for that price, and to my astonishment I won the auction. I'm doubting that I can repeat that type of experience very often.

I want to learn more about racks. I haven't gone down that path yet. I'm imagining that it is very difficult to find accounts for that kind of set-up.

Thanks. I got the 3 four canister machines, U-turns, for an average of $83 apiece. I put in an extremely low bid on eBay, never thinking that the machines would go for that price, and to my astonishment I won the auction. I'm doubting that I can repeat that type of experience very often.

I want to learn more about racks. I haven't gone down that path yet. I'm imagining that it is very difficult to find accounts for that kind of set-up.

My best strategy/luck for placing a rack is when they have 2-3 seperate machines on location. I show them the pictures in my flyer and explain to them how much neater and organized it could look with one rack and one vender taking care of everything. The toughest part is catching the decision maker at the oppertune time where you can actually talk and explain things and not rush a sales pitch as you know they are busy.

I guess I officially don't hate vending candy, at least not yet.

I just did a pull from one of my 3 Mexican restaurants: $16 on 7 days of activity. So, that's $2.28 per day, x 30 days = $68.40 per month, gross, on 1 machine.

I just did a pull on a new location; outdoor R/C racetrack. Double 1in heads with superballs and aliens. Did $54 in 17 days. That's $3.15 a day or $94/mo. Yes, I gave them 25% commission, but I did not throw away a single ounce of candy. I'm considering adding a second double and placing it elsewhere in the location.

What kinds of machines do you have on those racks? $448 seems like a lot for only 4 heads. Unless they are 2in or flat machines.

What kinds of machines do you have on those racks? $448 seems like a lot for only 4 heads. Unless they are 2in or flat machines.

This is the setup, black Square Deal stand, blue Super 60's, 50 cent mechanism, louvered fronts.

image4zoom.jpg

My best strategy/luck for placing a rack is when they have 2-3 seperate machines on location. I show them the pictures in my flyer and explain to them how much neater and organized it could look with one rack and one vender taking care of everything. The toughest part is catching the decision maker at the oppertune time where you can actually talk and explain things and not rush a sales pitch as you know they are busy.

That's interesting. Do I understand correctly that when you do come across one of these "2-3 separate machine" situations you are essentially attempting to get the other machine owner (or owners) kicked out of the location to make way for your rack?

That's interesting. Do I understand correctly that when you do come across one of these "2-3 separate machine" situations you are essentially attempting to get the other machine owner (or owners) kicked out of the location to make way for your rack?

In one word yes. If I think I can better serve the customer and possibly offer them something better for a variety of reasons I do try to replace the current vendors. I must add that if the current vendors are living up to whatever agreement they made and keep their machines maintained and clean, there is not much of a chance of this happening. It usually happens when the machines are dirty, seriously neglected, owner not paying commissions promised, etc.

It is no different than an insurance agency calling on someone or a cable company, and seeing if you are happy with your service and price you are paying. It is all about business and the price and service you can offer. And yes, I also know it may and will happen to me this way also.

I continue to experience good fortune with candy vending. In the past week:

1. Installed a gumball vending mechanism on a single head. That move doubled revenue from 1 vend a day to 2 vends. That single head is now on- track to be a $15 a month machine.

2. Quad (Uturn) placed at a Mexican restaurant starting 6/19, collected $45 to date; based on July 2nd through July 9th activity alone, $20.75 pulled, so that one is on pace to be a $69 a month machine.

3. Just placed another machine today. Total of 5 machines on location so far, 17 heads.

By my estimates, I'll soon be netting $145 per month.

Archived