Lease Prohibits Vending Machines

Jax Snacks

Well this is a first. Went to a new restaurant that will open soon. Figured I would try to pitch a rack. The owner told me all vending is prohibited per the lease. The reason - there is a Church near by!! My reaction was, WTF?? I know there are laws about serving liquor near a church, but vending machines??!! Be real! And the owner told me he was able to get a liquor license, but it was difficult.

With the recession, many shopping centers are now leasing space out to Churches. The Churches probably get a good deal on rent. And there was a Church 4 doors down in this shopping plaza. I had another strange situation a few months ago. A pizza joint told me to remove the machine. The reason - kids from the newly opened Church were hanging out by the vending machine and asking customers and employees for quarters!! They were also throwing the balls around and one ended up in the oven! The owner just did not want to deal with it any more and wanted it removed. Again, a Church was just 3 or 4 doors down in the same shopping plaza.

So a Church gets me whacked in two locations. The vending gods must be angry with me!

Any one else have a problem with these shopping center Churches?? Maybe they don't want the kids bugging their parents or customers for quarters at the near by stores. Not really sure, just seems kind of wierd to me to put that in a lease.

Really! They are all over here. Some even meet in the cinemas, homes and coffee houses

Nevermind the clause in the lease, who the heck goes to a church in a strip mall?!?

Strip mall churches. Never heard of anything like that.

Yea, these strip mall churches are in abundance down here as well. Seems like most sre immigrant groups looking for their own place of worship with low startup costs. I am hoping this is a fluky situation.

This state was hit really hard by the recession and landlords no longer call the shots. I see many many vacancies in strip malls today around here. So here is what I speculate, assuming the owner was telling the truth. Some kid skipped out on Sunday school and went to play some video games in another store. The preacher and parents were upset. The church asked for a "no vending" clause in the leases of any neighboring new business. The landlord, being desperate to lease the space, agrees to those terms. Maybe they were not targeting bulk machines specifically, but "no vending" covers everything. Just speculation. However, the liquor license was allowed. Strange.

I'd probably write a quick email to the land lord and ask for clarification on the policy, and see what he says. At least you'll know if you were getting BS'ed or not.

And an insight into the mind of a wackjob...

Archived