Armed robberies of vending trucks

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...interesting point about not being marked....My truck does have snacks written all over it but being an older truck that isn't really too nice to look at maybe the bad guys won't think I am actually vending from it and just using the old truck for other work...

In either case maybe a few stickers that says "no money on board" or "time lock safe / driver does not have combination" may be a good idea ?

(the no money on board goes outside and the second sign on the door of the hidden safe on the inside)

Andrew

Vending trucks have always been a target of thieves just because it is a cash business. In MA you are required to mark your vehicle if you are running commercial plates and/or have a truck over 10,000 gvw(?) . However, for those that aren,t required to letter your truck and dont. You are giving up a valuable free resource of advertising. How many miles do you put on your vehicle? How many different communities are you traveling through? How many office parks are you visiting? Done right the lettering on your truck can like hAnding out business cards as you travel.Don't underestimate the value of this simple way of advertising.

In either case maybe a few stickers that says "no money on board" or "time lock safe / driver does not have combination" may be a good idea ?

I prefer one that says "step back or I'll pop a cap in your a**!"

Sent using the Tapatalk Forum Viewer for Android.

I was worried about this here. Thats why I havent marked my vehicle. I never see any marked vendign vehicles in Houston.

I was of the same mindset for years, but as Technivend says it is a valuable source of free advertising. Right now I'm not looking for new business, I get enough referrals from existing customers to more than meet my desire for growth. I've got a logo & design set and ready to go, pretty much a full vinyl wrap, that will go on the trucks when I do decide to jump into a growth mode sometime next year.

I was of the same mindset for years, but as Technivend says it is a valuable source of free advertising. Right now I'm not looking for new business, I get enough referrals from existing customers to more than meet my desire for growth. I've got a logo & design set and ready to go, pretty much a full vinyl wrap, that will go on the trucks when I do decide to jump into a growth mode sometime next year.

See I have a wrap designed also for my truck but the crime down here is ridiculous. When I first started I was just using my honda civic as a vending vehicle and it got stolen with all my supplies from a parking lot. I have been debating for awhile but might do a separate vehicle I daily to wrap and use for advertisement I havent decided yet. I really need to grow this year so it is a decision I will need to make soon.

Its all about risk/reward. Hondas are very popular for car thieves. I'd bet it was the car they were after not your supplies and money. My vehicles will be equipped with alarms beforehand. Already use drop safes.

When I look back at the times that I have had theft issues its because I got lazy with taking basic precautions.

Its all about risk/reward. Hondas are very popular for car thieves. I'd bet it was the car they were after not your supplies and money. My vehicles will be equipped with alarms beforehand. Already use drop safes.

When I look back at the times that I have had theft issues its because I got lazy with taking basic precautions.

mission is right about getting lazy. We all do it. My truck has been hit twice in ten years because I got lax and wasnt paying attension to my surroundings. I now have two different vehicles that I drive and I rotate my routes on different days. For example I have several that I do twice a week usally tuesday and friday this week and monday thursday the next week. I also reverse the order so on tuesday I do A,b,c,thru h on friday I do H thru A. The thing to me is dont do the same location every tuesday at 9:00 a.m. dont be predictable. take different routes from time to time. I also go to the bank at diferent times on different days in different vehicles.

Its like being in the jungle. Take the same route at the same time everyday and eventuaaly you are going to get bit.

My .02

That's what 9mm are made for. Gun permits are very easy to get in the south. And I keep it in the van

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The problem with guns is A) permit B) what if they break into your van and use it on you and C) if you get them its over too quick if your a good shot. A knife or tire tool on the other hand can be carried legally just about anywhere and if properly used they will have plenty of time to question why they tried to rob you as they lay on the ground bleeding to death because I sure as hell aint calling 911.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to discreetly make bulk coin deposits. Its hard to bring in a 70lb bag of quarters without looking like your walking in with at least a grand ;) I have tried using old boxes and various bags, I even wheeled in a handtruck one time with multiple bags. All of these methods seem to result in awkward stares and is very obvious that your handleing lots of cash from the first grunt you make when you get out the car.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to discreetly make bulk coin deposits. Its hard to bring in a 70lb bag of quarters without looking like your walking in with at least a grand ;) I have tried using old boxes and various bags, I even wheeled in a handtruck one time with multiple bags. All of these methods seem to result in awkward stares and is very obvious that your handleing lots of cash from the first grunt you make when you get out the car.

Thoughts?

Same here and thats one of the reasons I alter my times and routes to the bank.

I have used drywall compound buckets with the lid on and rubbermaid type containers.

The one advantage that I may have is the bank that I use know me and know what I do and will let me go thru the locked door behind the counter out of sight of other customers to unload my coin bags and drop off my cash.

They take my deposit slip, credit my account and count the cash later. If there is a problem with the count (which very rarely happens) they let me know. My wife or daughter also drive me to the bank and drop me off at the door about 20 feet where I basically jump out with bucket in hand.

My suggestion would be to visit the bank manager and see if he can help you out as far as being as discreet as possible. I have been dealing with the same bank for close to ten years.

Hope I helped

Same here and thats one of the reasons I alter my times and routes to the bank.

I have used drywall compound buckets with the lid on and rubbermaid type containers.

The one advantage that I may have is the bank that I use know me and know what I do and will let me go thru the locked door behind the counter out of sight of other customers to unload my coin bags and drop off my cash.

They take my deposit slip, credit my account and count the cash later. If there is a problem with the count (which very rarely happens) they let me know. My wife or daughter also drive me to the bank and drop me off at the door about 20 feet where I basically jump out with bucket in hand.

My suggestion would be to visit the bank manager and see if he can help you out as far as being as discreet as possible. I have been dealing with the same bank for close to ten years.

Hope I helped

Helpful, yes!

I like the bucket idea. Last time I went the bank to drop coin the it was so crowded I had to park across the street and walk. Not good.

JD

Helpful, yes!

I like the bucket idea. Last time I went the bank to drop coin the it was so crowded I had to park across the street and walk. Not good.

JD

I've got it set up that on the day that I go to the bank (not the same day) I get there about 10 minutes prior to opening. Once I get a few blocks away I call and the armed guard meets me outside and lets me in.

I've got it set up that on the day that I go to the bank (not the same day) I get there about 10 minutes prior to opening. Once I get a few blocks away I call and the armed guard meets me outside and lets me in.

Nice, i like that

Archived