Help W/ Dixie Narco 501 E

HI All,

I just placed my first soda machine (A Dixie Narco 501 E ) and it's definitely been a learning experience....heavy too as the one we laid down proves!

Anyways, I bought the machine used along w/ 2 others from a vendor who was downsizing.

I placed the machine on site and learned (to my disappointment), that the entire machine was set up for 20 oz bottles...I was all set to go with cans and even had them there on site.

So I bought the full kit to convert the unit to cans from Vendors Exchange.

I installed everything (The rods in position "B", the new right shim (metal)on the right side, moved the back stop to position "13" from the front, and changed the brown cam to setting "1".

I filled the machine partially (about 1/4 full...I did remember to rotate the motors so that the "u" was facing up....I loaded 4 cans in the rotor and 3 cans the rest of the way up (since the back stop would only allow 3 cans deep AFTER the first row in the rotor) and began test vending....

1) The machine initially spit out 2 cans per vend....this happened several times initially on many of the columns (I was only using the narrow columns since I will set up wide column #1 to vend Gatorade).....After running several more vends the machine then started working correctly and did 1 can per vend.

Today, I went to check on the machine (yes, 1 day after initial install to make sure things were going ok)...The team leader at the plant says he owed me 50 cents since the machine double vended on him (2 cans for 1 money)....AARG why is the machine double vending?...I was wondering is there a special plug or something that needs to be installed in the rotor since it is 4 cans deep on the first row (in the rotor itself) then 3 cans deep AFTER the back stop comes into play?

2) Motor #2 works when you enter into diagnostic mode and "test" turn the motor (that's how I rotated the rotors to be able to install the rods easily and to change out the right side metal shim)....However, when it got ready to vend for real (after filling up about 1/4 full to top of column)

the machine basically said "make another selection".....I think the motor did try to turn a bit then stopped for whatever reason. Today, I emptied the column and tried to test vend again in the diagnostic mode for motor control...It worked there BUT when in regular "vend" mode it does not work and basically says to make an alternate selection....Any ideas on what is up with that?

3) Motor #9 whirrs in test mode but nothing turns....I suppose something in the gear box is messed up?....Are gear boxes repairable or do you have to buy an entire motor assembly / gearbox assembly?

4) Any ideas on where a person can get graphics to self print some labels to put into the clear buttons for product selection ( right now I crudely cut some cardboard from the can cases, wrote in pen the name of the drink and slid them into the machine...The boss there asked If I planned on getting real labels for the machine....I said I would (I didn't even think of that until after the machine was on site and in the process of cooling)

Sorry for the long post...I tried to keep it short but wanted to provide as many details as possible to help in diagnosing the problems.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

1) The machine initially spit out 2 cans per vend....this happened several times initially on many of the columns (I was only using the narrow columns since I will set up wide column #1 to vend Gatorade).....After running several more vends the machine then started working correctly and did 1 can per vend.

Today, I went to check on the machine (yes, 1 day after initial install to make sure things were going ok)...The team leader at the plant says he owed me 50 cents since the machine double vended on him (2 cans for 1 money)....AARG why is the machine double vending?...I was wondering is there a special plug or something that needs to be installed in the rotor since it is 4 cans deep on the first row (in the rotor itself) then 3 cans deep AFTER the back stop comes into play?

i have a 501e as well and i dont vend 4 deep . you should try only vending 3 deep and that should solve your problem.

try that.

HI,

Thanks for the input but how do you make the first row on the bottom only 3 cans deep?....The rear spacer bar keeps all rows above the first row to only 3 cans deep but the rear spacer bar cannot extend any further down or it would interfere when the "rotor' (thing where the cans rest in)tries to turn during a vend.

I counted all the cans at the last service and I will see how many cans are gone VS the money taken in so I will try to back calculate how many (if any) double vends took place.

Andrew

Czero1 is right. A 501 is only three cans deep not four. When you first fill the column just don't push the cans in the auger all the way back. As the machine continues to vend it should only load the rotor three deep. What you need to check is....When the column has three or four layers of cans in it that the rear spacer is set correctly. You want about a thumb width between the can and the front wall of the machine.Check the cams on the motors. There should be three valleys on the single columns and six on the double columns.

• 5 years later...

Looking at your rotors in the narrow columns, easiest done when the rotor is facing down, you can look up and see three holes in the back of the rotor.  There are three identical holes in the front of the rotor as well and those can be viewed through a window next to the motor.  The rod goes in with the spring to the back and is inserted into the middle hole for cans.  Push back against the spring and move the front of the rod into the middle hole.  This is if you're vending cans or 16oz or 16.9 oz bottles. Use a can shim on the right side of the column after removing a bottle shim if it's there.

If you need parts you can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.

Do the lights work?  If you have no power to the door then check the two pin power connector at the lower left corner of the cabinet.  This is a black rubber barrel plug and if separated you'll have no power to the door.  If you have lights then look at the power connector at the bottom of the logic board.  If everything looks okay then test for power in to the logic board.  If there is none then your power transformer is bad.  It's located in the top of the door.

• 4 years later...

Vending 16.9 Bottles

I am new to vending... 

This is my first soda machine... DN501E.

I found this instruction on the net somewhere... Thought I would share it because it worked for me.

Set the single columns rear spacer shim to 2 deep.

Power machine down. Set Single Column Brown Discs to #5. Set Double Wide Column Red/Gray Disc to #3. Take the springs off all of the Sold Out Flaps. Now power on machine and pull out the white door button. After the motor cams reset, vend each column until the rotor cup is facing the 5 o'clock position. Place Rods in Position 'A' on the rotor.. (The hole closet to the outside edge). Insert Metal Bottle Shims in the right side of the Single Columns. Insert 3 to 4 plastic bottle shims on each side of the double column. Attach Sold Out Springs, then prime the rotors until the columns vend.... This worked for me. When vending.. if you get a column that says Try Another Selection..... Check the cam disc and make sure that the switch is sitting in one of the empty spaces on the outside edge of the cam disc... If the switch is not sitting in one of those empty spaces, then power down the machine... press the motor brake and at the same time you are pressing the motor brake, manually turn the rotor clockwise until the switch drops into the empty slot on the edge of the disc. Then power the machine back on and try vending it again.

rotor cup.png