Maker's Joy Vending

shepherdsflock

PMM .16 & RP .14 an oz from Sam's Club.

Kind of confused by this?

Can someone confirm that my math is correct?

RP is about .022 a piece. My candy wheel wants to dispense either 11 or 16 pieces. (It has notches)

.022x16=.0352 (weight per vend) 16/.352=45 quarters or vends per lb. 45x.25= $11.36 per pound.

Since i know the owner and he is doing me a favor, i'd rather just do the 16 pieces instead of 11. Any profit is good profit.

• 4 weeks later...

I have yet to find the time to post a full update by location, but I had a stellar month last month. The 8 machines that I have out pulled in $231 for the month. That's almost $29/machine average. One thing that really helped boost my sales at my factory break room location was somebody found something moldy in the full line machine and put a sign on it stating that there were moldy items in the machine. No idea what the moldy item was, but people must have flocked to my vendstar, because it pulled in $60 for the month all by itself. All my machines did better this past month than normal, for some reason. Even the one pizza place I have which has been my worst performer doubled it's previous month's sales. I don't expect another $231 month next month, as I'm pretty sure at least $15 or so of that money was due to the moldy snack machine incident at work, but it looks like things are picking up pretty well now that I've got more toys and 50 cent coin mechs installed. I swapped even more heads from candy to toys and 50 cent coin mechs last week and will be doing some more later this week, so it will be interesting to see how next month's total adds up.

• 1 month later...

I'll be updating the first weekend of October. I'll give you a heads up that my numbers will likely be way low for the month. I had a problem with some coin mechs that I bought which turned out to be Buzz Bite mechs and caused a bunch of misvends. I'm getting that fixed with some new mechs, but I had two machines down for two weeks, and two more which are still waiting for replacement mechs. In addition to that, two of my best locations have some new competition; I don't know yet how much of an impact it will have on my sales. They are beat up old Uturns selling candy, gumballs, and mystery mix toy capsules at 25 cents (I'm selling a little more premium level toys but at 50 cents). Time will tell which is more important, the perceived value of the product or the price point. Whoever it is, they must have dumped a TON of money into this, because I've been seeing their machines all over town (I can tell they're the same because its the same old beat up uturns with the same toys).

• 3 months later...

Had my slowest month yet. Total for last month was $117. We'll see how January's sales go. Hopefully, much better. I've also got an order placed with Kickstart to locate an extra triple I've got. If I can get that placed, my monthly total will hopefully improve a little. I'm also considering relocating one of my low sellers to a new location.

Thanks, Vendfun. For a guy who has worked primarily in manufacturing, engineering, and quality control, the retail market environment of bulk vending has been a refreshing change of pace for me. Although I still retain my day job in the engineering world, I always look forward to servicing my route and seeing how my efforts to optimize and improve it have done. If I had the time, resources, and equipment I wouldn't even mind mixing my manufacturing experience with vending and building my own machines. However, that's simply not going to happen anytime soon. I'd really love to build something like ParSal's All American Chicken machine; or maybe even license the rights from them to build them. I just don't know enough about electronics to design a machine like that myself from scratch.

Archived