healthy snacks

wbuffett

I recently stopped drinking the "Zero" Coke products because of the aspartame. I found a list of 92 symptoms you can get from aspartame and I had 28 of them!!! Now, the vision problems are subsiding, the ringing in my ears is much softer, etc, etc. I drink a lot more water, ........ and sweet tea ... with REAL sugar.

About the only "healthy" snacks I sell are the Lay's baked chips and the Sun chips. They sell very slowly, but do sell some. Two accounts wanted only "healthy" snacks, but they wouldn't buy them out of the machine, so I started putting the regular chips, cookies, and chocolate back in..... they sell much better. People want healthy, unless they have to pay for it. I don't want to pay extra for so called "healthy" food either, so I don't eat much of the "healthy" stuff either. I eat regular chips and snacks, but in moderation.

I think "moderation" is the key.

I recently stopped drinking the "Zero" Coke products because of the aspartame. I found a list of 92 symptoms you can get from aspartame and I had 28 of them!!! Now, the vision problems are subsiding, the ringing in my ears is much softer, etc, etc. I drink a lot more water, ........ and sweet tea ... with REAL sugar.

About the only "healthy" snacks I sell are the Lay's baked chips and the Sun chips. They sell very slowly, but do sell some. Two accounts wanted only "healthy" snacks, but they wouldn't buy them out of the machine, so I started putting the regular chips, cookies, and chocolate back in..... they sell much better. People want healthy, unless they have to pay for it. I don't want to pay extra for so called "healthy" food either, so I don't eat much of the "healthy" stuff either. I eat regular chips and snacks, but in moderation.

I think "moderation" is the key.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

I think people miss the point of a vending machine all together. It is and was designed to be used because it was quick, easy, a way to have something to eat when generaly you wouldnt have something. It is NOT designed to live off of and to be used as a main source of your daily food intake.

Think of it this way, a person gets up in the morning and eats a bowl of oatmeal, a fresh apple, a glass of milk and orange juice. Then at lunch he eats a pita wrap (with turkey,letuce,tomato,oilve oil) a fresh orange,and a fesh carrot. Then at mid day he goes to the vending machine at work and grabs a Snickers bar and a Coke. Then he goes home and eat dinner of fresh flounder, brown rice, fresh asparagus, and banna covered in fresh honey.This is a pretty typical day the way this person eats.

How is the Snickers effecting his diet in a bad way? They eat healthy but sometimes eats a little "guilty pleasure". Why does the vending companies have to be forced to carry items that people dont want or want on a limited bases. HR managers, principals of schools, etc are not going to fix peoples eating habbits by demanding certain things in vending. The amount of "healthy" items should be left up to the vending company to decide based on demand and profits.

Vending companies had better look at it that way and decide who is worth doing business with and who is not....

he goes home and eat dinner of fresh flounder, brown rice, fresh asparagus, and banna covered in fresh honey.This is a pretty typical day the way this person eats.

Really? Who the hell has the time to make this for dinner? Who eats this stuff? What planet is he from? For me its pizza, fried chicken or whatever the nearest drive through happens to be. For better nutrition I'll eat coleslaw instead of fries. :lol:

(just kidding)

Really I agree with RJT, as vendors we need to be aware of the trends and be able to offer what people want AND more importantly will buy. If that is healthy items then great.

Really? Who the hell has the time to make this for dinner? Who eats this stuff? What planet is he from? For me its pizza, fried chicken or whatever the nearest drive through happens to be. For better nutrition I'll eat coleslaw instead of fries. :lol:

(just kidding)

Really I agree with RJT, as vendors we need to be aware of the trends and be able to offer what people want AND more importantly will buy. If that is healthy items then great.

LOL you eat like I do. I count salsa as a vegtable. ;D

It is the same thing if oposite. The guy buys baked chips and water out of the snack machine but then goes home and eats 6 slices of pizza, 6 beers, and 12 hot wings for dinner. Where did the baked chips help him? Same as where did the Snickers and Coke hurt the other guy.

If they tear up the healthy stuff and I make the same or more than doing "traditional" type vending snacks I could care less. At one of my hotel accounts I sell condoms but not at my nursing homes. Why? Because condoms sell at the hotel and not at the nursing home. LOL :o So if healthy makes me as much or more then fine by me. At the end of the day its about how much money am I making.

Daniel,

I know you are "wound up" over this healthy vending but I am very aware of what "healthy" stuff taste like. We shop at Whole Foods once a month and spend over 1k a month their for our family. However I also ate a Dbl Cheeseburger todat at Mickey D's. So I am not a health nut even though I shop at wholefoods.

What we are trying to tell you is dont let those guys brain wash you into thinking you are going to get rich in the all healthy vending business because you aint. I have worked for some very large companies and done consulting for many also and healthy vending is part of their lineup but it is a small portion. It is also done just to help sastify a very small portion of our customer base. For the most part if it wasnt mandated by some accounts we wouldnt do it at all because it is not that profitable for the most part.

I never said I wanted to "get rich" I just want to do something positive with my time. Im sure ill start selling unhealthy snacks and soda eventually but I wanna feel good about what I do for a while and soak all that in to give myself a sense of accomplishment within my community! Like hey this guy is helping our children get skinny what a great guy over therrrre. Pat on my back. And if I dont get that feeling well i guess ill just move on and sell peanut m&m's and reeses pieces. Love it. If I can make enough money to live eventually ill be Aok

I never said I wanted to "get rich" I just want to do something positive with my time. Im sure ill start selling unhealthy snacks and soda eventually but I wanna feel good about what I do for a while and soak all that in to give myself a sense of accomplishment within my community! Like hey this guy is helping our children get skinny what a great guy over therrrre. Pat on my back. And if I dont get that feeling well i guess ill just move on and sell peanut m&m's and reeses pieces. Love it. If I can make enough money to live eventually ill be Aok

hey dan what part of florida you in?

I hear ya, just dont "feel good about yourself" and go broke. Become a Boy Scout leader, join the Peace Corp, work at the homeless shelter, etc. That way you can feel good about yourself on someone else’s dime. Want to do more make a good living doing vending and donate plenty of your profits to you charities of choice. That is my point if you get tied in to deep with all this "healthy only vending" you may never "make enough money to live". Dont get in to deep on your financial expenditures on this adventure until you see how it goes.

You are not going to fix any kid and the way the eat. That is not our jobs that is the parents job. My 3yo eats more vegetables than a rabbit but he does eat a candy bar every now and again. Why does he eat so many vegetables, milk, whole grains, fresh fish, etc? Because as parents it is our responsibility to make sure our children eat healthy. It is not the YMCA's the schools, etc that is responsible.

You are not going to fix any kid and the way the eat. That is not our jobs that is the parents job. My 3yo eats more vegetables than a rabbit but he does eat a candy bar every now and again. Why does he eat so many vegetables, milk, whole grains, fresh fish, etc? Because as parents it is our responsibility to make sure our children eat healthy. It is not the YMCA's the schools, etc that is responsible.

and the choir sang Amen !!! ;D

Archived