Vending when you have a full time job

JLM Vending

I just wanted to know how some of you guys grow your vending business if you work full time. I actually only work part time now, I was a trucker for several years and wanted to get out of that hectic lifestyle, but now Im also building the vending business and a couple side jobs. My goal is to grow my route to make a full time living. Do any of you have a hard time servicing your route when you also are working 9-5? Im trying to figure out the best way for me to grow my business whether I should go back to full time work and do this business at the same time or if that would be too difficult to manage. I was just trying to get an idea of how you folks manage your time. Of course I could also hire someone if needed for an extended period of time, but then that in itself can create problems.

I just wanted to know how some of you guys grow your vending business if you work full time. I actually only work part time now, I was a trucker for several years and wanted to get out of that hectic lifestyle, but now Im also building the vending business and a couple side jobs. My goal is to grow my route to make a full time living. Do any of you have a hard time servicing your route when you also are working 9-5? Im trying to figure out the best way for me to grow my business whether I should go back to full time work and do this business at the same time or if that would be too difficult to manage. I was just trying to get an idea of how you folks manage your time. Of course I could also hire someone if needed for an extended period of time, but then that in itself can create problems.

I work a 60 hour week in my full time gig and don't really have any problems with time. Sometimes a business will change their hours and that can make it tough to deal with. I have about 85 heads out right now but figure I can handle about 250-300 and still work. But it is a huge amount of work in the evenings and weekends. However, I do mostly toys so my service times are stretched out to 2 months for the most part.

The key is to place your machines along your route to and from your full time job. This way you can service them without really taking much time or gas that you would not already use.

This is great topic. I commute about 1 hr. & 50 minutes to get to my work location, so, as you might imagine, my week days/nights are pretty much shot for purposes of vending. However, I have 17 heads on location so far (with another 3 in the pipeline) and I have had no trouble maintaining my route. In fact, I probably visit my vending locations way more often than I really need to, just because I think it is fun to collect the money. As I expand the business though, the "just for the heck of it" visits will have to stop. You need to get as many locations close to your home as you can, and, as another poster stated, get other, more distant, locations on the route that you drive to work.

This is great topic. I commute about 1 hr. & 50 minutes to get to my work location, so, as you might imagine, my week days/nights are pretty much shot for purposes of vending. However, I have 17 heads on location so far (with another 3 in the pipeline) and I have had no trouble maintaining my route. In fact, I probably visit my vending locations way more often than I really need to, just because I think it is fun to collect the money. As I expand the business though, the "just for the heck of it" visits will have to stop. You need to get as many locations close to your home as you can, and, as another poster stated, get other, more distant, locations on the route that you drive to work.

True. Although a lot of locations close around 5 pm, the time that most would get off of work. And lots are not open on weekends. So i guess the schedule has to be designed perfectly in a way.

True. Although a lot of locations close around 5 pm, the time that most would get off of work. And lots are not open on weekends. So i guess the schedule has to be designed perfectly in a way.

You are right. All of my locations, so far, are restaurants, which have hours of operation that support evening and night visits. That wouldn't be the case with most businesses.

I work a 60 hour week in my full time gig and don't really have any problems with time. Sometimes a business will change their hours and that can make it tough to deal with. I have about 85 heads out right now but figure I can handle about 250-300 and still work. But it is a huge amount of work in the evenings and weekends. However, I do mostly toys so my service times are stretched out to 2 months for the most part.

Hillbilly what kind of spots do you have your machines in?

It all depends on quite a few factors. What mech is in the machine, how much commission i'm paying, can I service early mornings or weekends, is it on my direct route or out of the way, etc. I think all locations will vary. I have some spots that do just so so and then I have some that absolutely rock. But for the sake of a figure, I'd say $40 a service cycle on the low end and $200 on the high end. And thats either 2, 3, or 4 machines.

Archived