New or used for large location

New or used equipment for large location (i.e. shopping mall)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for a large location like a shopping mall?

I'm thinking about expanding my business from bulk into soda and snack, and local shopping mall told me that they're looking for a healthy snack vender and the location would be mine if I wanted it. I've never had a snack or soda machine (thinking about a combination machine that will sell both) and was wondering what most operators prefer for a larger location. I know that a used machine would be cheaper, but would the likelihood of malfuntions and break-downs (leading to the mall kicking my machine out) be enough to make a new machine a better choice?

I'm thinking about expanding my business from bulk into soda and snack, and local shopping mall told me that they're looking for a healthy snack vender and the location would be mine if I wanted it. I've never had a snack or soda machine (thinking about a combination machine that will sell both) and was wondering what most operators prefer for a larger location. I know that a used machine would be cheaper, but would the likelihood of malfuntions and break-downs (leading to the mall kicking my machine out) be enough to make a new machine a better choice?

you will probably need a glassfront and a snack vendor would not think a combo would do to well in a high traffic location. used machines can be very reliable or you can pay a little more and buy refurbs from a dealer. i would figure a mall would be very image concious and demand good looking equipment

you will probably need a glassfront and a snack vendor would not think a combo would do to well in a high traffic location. used machines can be very reliable or you can pay a little more and buy refurbs from a dealer. i would figure a mall would be very image concious and demand good looking equipment

Thanks, dogcow. That's the kind of advice I need. I'm thinking with a mall, new is going to be the only thing that won't get me kicked out (or have them void my lease as soon as they see the machine). I don't have enough money to purchase both a glassfront and snack machine. Do you think that I should just stick with a new snack machine since the mall originally asked for a healthy snack machine? I thought I might go for a combo machine so I could add drinks, but maybe that's not the best option...what do you think?

Thanks, dogcow. That's the kind of advice I need. I'm thinking with a mall, new is going to be the only thing that won't get me kicked out (or have them void my lease as soon as they see the machine). I don't have enough money to purchase both a glassfront and snack machine. Do you think that I should just stick with a new snack machine since the mall originally asked for a healthy snack machine? I thought I might go for a combo machine so I could add drinks, but maybe that's not the best option...what do you think?

well hopefully someone who has experience with malls can come along and give you some advice but combo machines generally dont offer enough capacity ,especially with drinks. If you are going to put out a snack machine you might look into buying a nice used one or refurb at least you wont be getting in too deep financially.

This is an indoor shopping mall? Are you paying a % or flat rent? What kind of area is it going? Next to the bathroom, or in the normal walk ways? I would think coke or pepsi probably have a contract there that would prohibit you from putting in a combo. I would stick with a good 4-5 quality used or refurbed snack machine. I do some outlet malls and the sales are okay but not new machine type locations. There is just too much other food from restaurants.

JD

This is an indoor shopping mall? Are you paying a % or flat rent? What kind of area is it going? Next to the bathroom, or in the normal walk ways? I would think coke or pepsi probably have a contract there that would prohibit you from putting in a combo. I would stick with a good 4-5 quality used or refurbed snack machine. I do some outlet malls and the sales are okay but not new machine type locations. There is just too much other food from restaurants.

JD

what are your rents like in a place like that?

JD

Its an indoor mall. I don't know yet what the lease requirements or location would be yet. I contacted them a few months ago looking to place a bulk machine and they said no, but they were looking for a healthy snack vendor. Fast forward a few months, and I emailed the lady that's in charge of this type of stuff and she said they still don't have a healthy snack vendor and if I was serious about putting in a machine she could make sure I had a spot. I pushed for details about where at in the mall my machine could go, but she said she didn't want to discuss that until I was ready to sign a lease. There's a busy indoor playground at one end of the mall that I think would be a great location. Its far away from the food court, and there are always lots of children and parents there, especially in the cooler months. There are already a number of bulk and glassfront drink machines at this location, but there is a corridor just to the side of it that would have plenty of room for a snack machine.

Its an indoor mall. I don't know yet what the lease requirements or location would be yet. I contacted them a few months ago looking to place a bulk machine and they said no, but they were looking for a healthy snack vendor. Fast forward a few months, and I emailed the lady that's in charge of this type of stuff and she said they still don't have a healthy snack vendor and if I was serious about putting in a machine she could make sure I had a spot. I pushed for details about where at in the mall my machine could go, but she said she didn't want to discuss that until I was ready to sign a lease. There's a busy indoor playground at one end of the mall that I think would be a great location. Its far away from the food court, and there are always lots of children and parents there, especially in the cooler months. There are already a number of bulk and glassfront drink machines at this location, but there is a corridor just to the side of it that would have plenty of room for a snack machine.

I don't think I would ever sign a lease for anything like this. I would be willing to pay a good commission to try and see if it worked, but signing a multi-year rent based lease is a bad idea.

JD

I don't think I would ever sign a lease for anything like this. I would be willing to pay a good commission to try and see if it worked, but signing a multi-year rent based lease is a bad idea.

JD

I agree with JD do NOT sign a lease at all. Dont get to excited about this account because most malls require a lease and then they also require a precentage of your profits if it exceeds a certain ammount. I have had no luck with working anything out with mall locations. Most are very arogant and hard to deal with. Thye dont want to give you much information (like you run into) and such which makes it tough to figure out things. They love to spout off about "we have a million plus people through this mall a year" type stuff. The last time I checked with a mall they wanted $800 a month rent..... :blink:

I agree with JD do NOT sign a lease at all. Dont get to excited about this account because most malls require a lease and then they also require a precentage of your profits if it exceeds a certain ammount. I have had no luck with working anything out with mall locations. Most are very arogant and hard to deal with. Thye dont want to give you much information (like you run into) and such which makes it tough to figure out things. They love to spout off about "we have a million plus people through this mall a year" type stuff. The last time I checked with a mall they wanted $800 a month rent..... :blink:

We have had good luck with the vending behind the scenes in malls. The security center, laundry areas and maintenance. The Mall representatives are not as demanding in those areas but you still need certificates of insurance, probably proof of WC, a bond for your employees, etc. Good quality refurb machines work fine and most of your customers in security/laundry/maintenance walk a lot, sweat a lot and they are not allowed to purchase from the mall stores while working. The terms are worked out pretty quickly and do not involve a lease agreement. The laundry areas can be very good.

Poplady

@poplady

Laundry area? Why would a mall have a laundry area? What does a mall need to wash on a daily basis? Call me crazy but I never would have thought a mall would have a laundry area or much of a back area with vending. I am sure they have plenty of back area for office people, cleaning crew, security, etc. I am sure they have a back area with vending but I wouldnt think it would be to lucrative because of the many choices out in the mall area for them to choose from. I never heard that they were not allowed to buy out on the mall floor while on breaks.

Then again I never would have thought vending in a Walmart break room would do any good but they are.

We have had a few large retailers in malls like JC Penny in their break areas and it was pretty weak on revenue.

What kind of numbers have you seen out of these back areas? Explain to me about this laundry area.....

Archived