Starbucks Vending Machine

Hi all,

I have some routes with just honor box vending and fun size candy bar vending that is doing well. I'm finally to the point where I can head into full line vending. Yay! A friend of my brother-in-law has 2 Starbucks vending machines in his garage, still brand new in the wrapping. Has anybody had any experience with these machines? I think that the name would be a huge draw... BUT I haven't seen any distributers for the machines and it looks like it dispenses in a proprietary can design. I'm worried about being able to get the cans to stock the machine with if they don't make them anymore. Does anybody have any experience with these machines, or do you know if the line has been completely discontinued?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have some routes with just honor box vending and fun size candy bar vending that is doing well. I'm finally to the point where I can head into full line vending. Yay! A friend of my brother-in-law has 2 Starbucks vending machines in his garage, still brand new in the wrapping. Has anybody had any experience with these machines? I think that the name would be a huge draw... BUT I haven't seen any distributers for the machines and it looks like it dispenses in a proprietary can design. I'm worried about being able to get the cans to stock the machine with if they don't make them anymore. Does anybody have any experience with these machines, or do you know if the line has been completely discontinued?

Thanks!

would stay away from any of those specialty machines like the redbull machine,etc..

you're gonna have a hard time locating them because most locations that you can make money at are gonna need at least an 8 select machine. if you want to vend starbucks cans hey no problem the dixie 501e can be shimmed to handle the 11oz and 6oz cans. remember most people want dew, coke, pepsi..if you cant offer those forget it. if you try to get your machine in with a location that already has a fs drink vendor ,well that guy can just sell starbucks out of his machine

the fact the guy has the machines in his garage should tell you all you need to know!!!

hey i just bought some of those candy honor boxes on ebay, what locations do you find that do good for those.

I was thinking about those machines because there is a hospital close to me that has what appears to be a neglected vending route. The machines are always really empty, the selection is terrible (even with the item restrictions placed on the machines by the hospital the selections could be much better). I've been watching it for a while, and if it continues I'm going to contact the route operator and see if they want out of the business. I thought that a Starbucks machine might do well there instead of the usual coffee vending machines that are there. Doctors drink a lot of Starbucks! I just have that concern about those proprietary heat on demand cans that I haven't found much info on. I bet it went dead in the water like those RedBull machines you mentioned, and those awful Pringles machines. Maybe I'll see about changing the graphics on the existing machines instead so they look better. I know I can't be the only person that has trouble ordering a cup of coffee from a machine that looks like it's 30 years old.

I made my honor boxes from scratch, using mostly 16x16 cardboard boxes from Walmart, and some 18x18 boxes also. You can get 2 boxes, one from each end of the box, plus dividers from the middle section that would otherwise be waste. I covered everything with Con-Tac paper in a black/white granite print. They look great and you can wipe them off to clean them as needed instead of just watching the cardboard get scuzzy. My husband will tell you that I have a thing against scuzz. I have 10 of them out there, and so far the best 3 that I have are all in primarily male workplaces. I have one at a lumber store, one at a Verizon dealer in a little strip nearby, and one in a Midas center. I wasn't sure about the Verizon store and the Midas since they both have less then 10 employees, but I figured it didn't hurt to give it a shot. Turns out those are two of my best so far. I've got some doctor's offices on my list to hit soon. Drug Reps don't feed the offices like they used to, so I think they will be good targets. I've been trying to hit every small to medium employer site, that doesn't have food on site, with a regular workforce of up to 40 employees that are mostly or completely trapped during the day. I need to add the local garden center to my list too now that I think of it. HTH

I was thinking about those machines because there is a hospital close to me that has what appears to be a neglected vending route. The machines are always really empty, the selection is terrible (even with the item restrictions placed on the machines by the hospital the selections could be much better). I've been watching it for a while, and if it continues I'm going to contact the route operator and see if they want out of the business. I thought that a Starbucks machine might do well there instead of the usual coffee vending machines that are there. Doctors drink a lot of Starbucks! I just have that concern about those proprietary heat on demand cans that I haven't found much info on. I bet it went dead in the water like those RedBull machines you mentioned, and those awful Pringles machines. Maybe I'll see about changing the graphics on the existing machines instead so they look better. I know I can't be the only person that has trouble ordering a cup of coffee from a machine that looks like it's 30 years old.

well i would not try to buy off that location , you can save yourself a lot of money by going direct to the hospital. if they are getting bad service they probably want him out, why pay a premium to get a location you could possibly get on your own. plus a change in ownership could be good reason as any for them to just kick you out. then what? talk to RJT on here he can give you a lot of guidance on what you need to do to land a hospital location (proposals ,pitch). honestly if you are part-time it may not be worth it based on the fact that they will probably require cold food, coffee machines ,and other stuff you probably dont want to mess with. Also they will likely require a lot of equipment and a high service level.

I made my honor boxes from scratch, using mostly 16x16 cardboard boxes from Walmart, and some 18x18 boxes also. You can get 2 boxes, one from each end of the box, plus dividers from the middle section that would otherwise be waste. I covered everything with Con-Tac paper in a black/white granite print. They look great and you can wipe them off to clean them as needed instead of just watching the cardboard get scuzzy. My husband will tell you that I have a thing against scuzz. I have 10 of them out there, and so far the best 3 that I have are all in primarily male workplaces. I have one at a lumber store, one at a Verizon dealer in a little strip nearby, and one in a Midas center. I wasn't sure about the Verizon store and the Midas since they both have less then 10 employees, but I figured it didn't hurt to give it a shot. Turns out those are two of my best so far. I've got some doctor's offices on my list to hit soon. Drug Reps don't feed the offices like they used to, so I think they will be good targets. I've been trying to hit every small to medium employer site, that doesn't have food on site, with a regular workforce of up to 40 employees that are mostly or completely trapped during the day. I need to add the local garden center to my list too now that I think of it. HTH

thats a great tip about the contact paper i might try that , i have honor boxes too but fullsize snacks in them and i usually throw them out when they get too nasty looking but ill try the contact paper . can you post a pic of your boxes? The candy ones i bought are acrylic , only $10 a piece so a pretty good deal if i can figure where to put them. I was gonna try resturants near the locations i already have.

sounds like you hit the same places i do, you might try putting full size snacks if you are just going after the employee biz, i do really well with that. also ill give you a tip, dr offices are kind of a bust because most dont want it but urgent care (walk in clinics) do fantastic so do vet office.

well i would not try to buy off that location , you can save yourself a lot of money by going direct to the hospital. if they are getting bad service they probably want him out, why pay a premium to get a location you could possibly get on your own. plus a change in ownership could be good reason as any for them to just kick you out. then what? talk to RJT on here he can give you a lot of guidance on what you need to do to land a hospital location (proposals ,pitch). honestly if you are part-time it may not be worth it based on the fact that they will probably require cold food, coffee machines ,and other stuff you probably dont want to mess with. Also they will likely require a lot of equipment and a high service level.

thats a great tip about the contact paper i might try that , i have honor boxes too but fullsize snacks in them and i usually throw them out when they get too nasty looking but ill try the contact paper . can you post a pic of your boxes? The candy ones i bought are acrylic , only $10 a piece so a pretty good deal if i can figure where to put them. I was gonna try resturants near the locations i already have.

sounds like you hit the same places i do, you might try putting full size snacks if you are just going after the employee biz, i do really well with that. also ill give you a tip, dr offices are kind of a bust because most dont want it but urgent care (walk in clinics) do fantastic so do vet office.

Thanks for the tip about vet offices and urgent care. There is a large vet at the end of town I could try and I know there's an urgent care around here somewhere. I'll try to get a pic up, but it probably won't happen until tomorrow, so check back :)

The only issue with going directly to the hospital (and believe me, I want to), is the cost of all the machines that I would need. I have a list around here somewhere, but they have 4 coffee machines, 8 drink machines, 1 cold machine, and 5 snack machines. Personally, I would get rid of one of the coffee machines and direct people to main vending, and I would replace the cold machine with a Vend-it-Hot. Their machine accepts credit cards, and can also be programmed to take employee badge swipes, which has been a critical complaint among the employees. The cafeteria has cut back hours for cost control and it was never open overnight. A lot of the third shift staff starve when they forget to bring food. It could be a fantastic account if I can get it. It's all about the financing though. We're trying to do it without outside financing because we have enough loans between our mortgage and student loans. It's a very good point that they could kick me out if all I do is buy the old route.

I'm only part time right now, but I would like to get into full vending. I will probably just have to keep an eye on it and stick it on my wish list for someday. You gotta have a dream right? I'll remember to talk to RJT if I start getting to the point where I can make a move on it.

Thanks for the tip about vet offices and urgent care. There is a large vet at the end of town I could try and I know there's an urgent care around here somewhere. I'll try to get a pic up, but it probably won't happen until tomorrow, so check back :)

The only issue with going directly to the hospital (and believe me, I want to), is the cost of all the machines that I would need. I have a list around here somewhere, but they have 4 coffee machines, 8 drink machines, 1 cold machine, and 5 snack machines. Personally, I would get rid of one of the coffee machines and direct people to main vending, and I would replace the cold machine with a Vend-it-Hot. Their machine accepts credit cards, and can also be programmed to take employee badge swipes, which has been a critical complaint among the employees. The cafeteria has cut back hours for cost control and it was never open overnight. A lot of the third shift staff starve when they forget to bring food. It could be a fantastic account if I can get it. It's all about the financing though. We're trying to do it without outside financing because we have enough loans between our mortgage and student loans. It's a very good point that they could kick me out if all I do is buy the old route.

I'm only part time right now, but I would like to get into full vending. I will probably just have to keep an eye on it and stick it on my wish list for someday. You gotta have a dream right? I'll remember to talk to RJT if I start getting to the point where I can make a move on it.

On the Starbucks machine, try calling this number 1-800-571-7289. Just tell them exactly what you have and they will give you all of the details.

Poplady

hey with all due respect im not sure why you would think the current

vendor would sell you for less than the cost of the equipment.

you're talking about 10 machines assuming you can get 8 drink machines from the bottler.

that might be a little hard to scare up on craigs list but the economy the way it is

maybe you can cut a deal on some refurbs with some dealer in your area i know

a guy here who'd prob be thrilled to sell 10 machines for cash

Sorry, bad weekend. I'm going to post the pic of my honor boxes in the new post that opened for it.

hey with all due respect im not sure why you would think the current

vendor would sell you for less than the cost of the equipment.

you're talking about 10 machines assuming you can get 8 drink machines from the bottler.

that might be a little hard to scare up on craigs list but the economy the way it is

maybe you can cut a deal on some refurbs with some dealer in your area i know

a guy here who'd prob be thrilled to sell 10 machines for cash

I was hoping that the current vendor, due to the apparent disinterest, might have been open to owner financing (and I would definitely pay a fair amount for them). As of this past weekend it appears that the machines are being much better stocked and taken care of. They are the same machines, but have a new vendor sticker on them ?!? So I guess my only hope to get the account at some point would be to offer the hospital better then what they have now. Do you know any refurbished dealers in Ohio? Closer to Cleveland the better. I just picked up an FSI snack machine (the one that will accept the drink satellite), and I want to find the satellite for it without buying new if I can. There is a small industrial park here with some companies that have 50-80 employees that would be a good bet for a smaller machine.

Archived