Used Bulk Machines

JoeT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what your saying is correct but what you are forgetting is shipping add in shipping and then add that to your new machines .So unless you pick up your new machines the cost of a new machine is way more then 50 i have seen alot of posts where ppl say a machine is only 50$ new so why would i buy a good used for 35 0r 40 the answer is look at the whole cost add in that shipping and see what it will cost it sure is not just 50$.

In my case -- if I say I pay $50 for a new machine, that includes shipping.

Oak Vistas are shipped to my address for a total cost of $49...brand new, clear/clean globes, shiny paint, with the wheel I want, and with a lock that matches 90% of the other machines on my route.

If you go the used route, you need to know values of machines and a basic value of what the parts cost you. It can be done. My average cost per machine is less than $29.00. This is for 1", 2", and a few specialized machines. And it's that high because I did buy 12 new ones.

I just picked up 4 A&A 2001 2" vendors for $63 ea including shipping. All they need are locks and a quick paint job. I also got the display holders, baffles, and coin trays included in that deal. I also got 4 extra mech's at no charge. Thats about 1/2 price for a 2" machine.

I threw a lid and some pre-painted side panels on one and it's already making me quarters.

The deals are out there to be made you just have to deal and look hard.

In my case -- if I say I pay $50 for a new machine, that includes shipping.

Oak Vistas are shipped to my address for a total cost of $49...brand new, clear/clean globes, shiny paint, with the wheel I want, and with a lock that matches 90% of the other machines on my route.

How many did you have to buy in order to get that price? What you people fail to comprehend to is that he only wants a few machines to start with. He doesn't have an established route that he wants to add to. He doesn't want to have to buy 20 or more new machines to get that low price. :rolleyes:

How many did you have to buy in order to get that price? What you people fail to comprehend to is that he only wants a few machines to start with. He doesn't have an established route that he wants to add to. He doesn't want to have to buy 20 or more new machines to get that low price.

What some people fail to comprehend is that he doesn't have to buy 20 or more new machines to get that price. :rolleyes:

The Oak Vista is only $42 brand new.

No reason why he can't buy as few as 4, 6, or 8 Vistas and be at the $50 range with shipping.

What some people fail to comprehend is that he doesn't have to buy 20 or more new machines to get that price. :rolleyes:

The Oak Vista is only $42 brand new.

No reason why he can't buy as few as 4, 6, or 8 Vistas and be at the $50 range with shipping.

Only $8 shipping? Wow, that's amazing. :rolleyes:

Only $8 shipping? Wow, that's amazing.

Not so amazing at all...for those of us with actual experience ordering from Oak.

I've got 2 invoices dated April AND June of this year from Oak MFG for 16 machines per order.

Freight to my door cost was $106 for each order.

That's approx $6.62 shipping per machine.

I've ordered as few as 8 machines and the shipping total was a little lower.

I've ordered as many as 24 machines and the shipping total was a little higher.

But, it's NEVER been more than $9 per machine....which keeps the $42 Vista at/around the $50 shipped that I originally mentioned.

I'm speaking from actual experience having ordered many many times from Oak.

If you are paying more than that for shipping from Oak, maybe you should speak to Olivia on Monday and get an explanation as to why.

Not so amazing at all...for those of us with actual experience ordering from Oak.

I've got 2 invoices dated April AND June of this year from Oak MFG for 16 machines per order.

Freight to my door cost was $106 for each order.

That's approx $6.62 shipping per machine.

Which is what I originally asked. How many machines you had to buy to get that price? Thank you for answering with a number.

I'm speaking from actual experience having ordered many many times from Oak.

If you are paying more than that for shipping from Oak, maybe you should speak to Olivia on Monday and get an explanation as to why.

Thank you for a name. I will give Olivia a call and get a quote on how much it would be for two machines.

Thank you for a name. I will give Olivia a call and get a quote on how much it would be for two machines.

Good luck getting anyone to answer the phone and don't bother leaving a message. They won't call back.

If you go the used route, you need to know values of machines and a basic value of what the parts cost you. It can be done.

The deals are out there to be made you just have to deal and look hard.

Let's face it, buying used can be a bit of a dice-rolling crap shoot. My experiences with used equipment have been all over the place and I am prepared to deal with refurbishing if necessary. But I would say at least 60% of my route is used equipment. It's hard to give a one-size-fits-all advice on this since each person's situation is different. In addition to time and money, there can be other "show stoppers", like current debt load, full time/part time status, sense of urgency, time tables, goals and objectives, spousal support, available parts in storage, even the mood of the vendor, etc. Sometimes I am simply not in the mood to mess with used beat up stuff and pass on it.

But for noobs starting out, I would actually encourage them to buy their first set of machines new since they will have enough other things to deal with and they will not want to deal with refurb issues if they happen to get some real beat up stuff. Once they have some experience, they can venture into the used arena if desired.

but what i was saying is if you can find them already refurbished already at a cheaper price set up the way a new person wants them why would u buy new im not saying they are going to get used machines and do it them selfs im saying if they are already done when they get them why mess with new

but what i was saying is if you can find them already refurbished already at a cheaper price set up the way a new person wants them why would u buy new im not saying they are going to get used machines and do it them selfs im saying if they are already done when they get them why mess with new

Well that is a big "IF". How many times can you really get a used machine EXACTLY the way you want it? Even if it still has all the bells you want, it still may need to be sanded and re-painted - ain't that right Mr. Folz-Rack-eBay reseller (you know who you are)? Not referring to you specifically there Enck or my buddy Tbird, but other eBay guys that will remain nameless.

Like when someone hires a 4 year old to repaint the machines and doesn't bother to sand off the rust and then uses 99 cent spray paint to cover it up - for example. Or when some vendor goes sticker and scotch tape crazy and there is a ton of residue to clean off the globes or panels after the sun has baked it on for all those years on location. That residue is a royal pain to get off and you have to be careful to not damage the globe getting that stuff off. Same is true with those static cling labels - they will ruin a globe over time. Enough of the rant, but just a few more examples of used equipment hell.

Having said that, I still buy used. In fact, bought some used A&A's from another member a few weeks ago and they were pretty decent. Just have to be careful. As I said before, no right or wrong, no absolutes, no one-size-fits-all. It all depends on the vendor, the seller and the equipment!

Why .25 cent mechs ? Still doing alot of candy or selling toys at .25?

I only do candy when I have to.

I do a lot of flat vends and toys.

The $.25 price point is what my market supports.

Almost no one is doing $.50 1" around here.

If anyone does it, I haven't seen it (I've looked).

The saturation in my area means I share almost all of my good locations.

I will give Olivia a call and get a quote on how much it would be for two machines.

Bacho...if they are charging more than $25 to ship 2 machines, ask why so much.

I have recently shipped two NW 60's to someone via UPS from TX to NJ and paid $24.

If I can do it, no reason they can't...what with the shipping connections they should have.

On a side note:

If you are new to vending (I don't think you are Bacho...but the OP may be) do not buy only 2 machines to start.

Whether you are buying new or used, buying only 2 machines to start with is a mistake.

I would recommend at least 6 machines.

You will get a better deal if you buy several machines at once (new or used) and you will get a more accurate representation of what it's like to be a bulk vendor with several locations to oversee.

Buying only 2 machines will get you into a max of 2 locations (obviously) and that's not a real taste of what it's like to have a bulk route.

Managing at least 6 locations will give you a much more realistic setting to form an accurate opinion of the bulk industry yet still keep expenses manageable (compared to costs associated when starting other types of businesses).

I started with 10 machines and don't regret it.

When I had only my first couple of machines out, it was not enough to properly gauge my abilities and interest in this business.

Good luck.

I'm from Philly and have found all my used machines on Craigslist. I only bought one in Philly, the rest I bought in the immediate burbs or in South Jersey.

I'm just outside of Philly and I've been searching CL although I may try different cities

I have recently shipped two NW 60's to someone via UPS from TX to NJ and paid $24.

If I can do it, no reason they can't...what with the shipping connections they should have.

That's true but most companies will charge more for the package and handling. I'll let you know what kind of answer I get. If I can get a good quote on these, I may just purchase my last two racks from them. I have all Northwesterns right now.

On a side note:

If you are new to vending (I don't think you are Bacho...but the OP may be) do not buy only 2 machines to start.

Whether you are buying new or used, buying only 2 machines to start with is a mistake.

I would recommend at least 6 machines.

You will get a better deal if you buy several machines at once (new or used) and you will get a more accurate representation of what it's like to be a bulk vendor with several locations to oversee.

Buying only 2 machines will get you into a max of 2 locations (obviously) and that's not a real taste of what it's like to have a bulk route.

Managing at least 6 locations will give you a much more realistic setting to form an accurate opinion of the bulk industry yet still keep expenses manageable (compared to costs associated when starting other types of businesses).

I started with 10 machines and don't regret it.

When I had only my first couple of machines out, it was not enough to properly gauge my abilities and interest in this business.

Good luck.

I agree with you 100% on that. I started with 10 used machines that I got for $25 a machine back four years ago. I'm not sorry I started with that many but some new vendors don't have hundreds of dollars to start with. I built my business on fast ROI.

Good luck getting anyone to answer the phone and don't bother leaving a message. They won't call back.

That doesn't sound like the customer service I'm looking for. I'll give a try anyway and let you know, Steve.

That's why I no longer even bother with Oak. The last time I ordered from them, a few years ago, the quality of the machines were horrible. Pieces of the machines didnt even fit together. The whole thing is documented here on the forum. That coupled with them being extremely difficult to contact turned me off of them forever.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

On a side note:

I finally got through to Oak. Olivia was not available so I asked for a quote from the girl that answered the phone. She quoted me $48 a machine and $24 shipping. They ship Fed Ex Ground. That comes out to exactly $60 a machine, not the $50 that was quoted in the post.

Still, $60 isn't too bad for a brand new machine including shipping so I bought the two to try them out. I have just the place for them. If the location and machines do good, I'll order more for a rack.

For those that are just starting out, there is nothing wrong with buying used machines for around 35 to 40 bucks. Sixty for a brand new Oak is pretty good also. I admit when I'm wrong. ;)

Sixty for a brand new Oak is pretty good also. I admit when I'm wrong.

I don't think you were wrong.

You may have been charged for some upgrade or maybe you got a different model.

What model of Oak did you get?

This one: Oak Vista 450

These Oak Vista 450's were still $42 as of a couple months ago.

If the 450 is what you ordered, did you upgrade the std $.25 mech or add anything else that may have bumped the price by $6?

If not, it may be worth trying to reach Olivia directly.

I know it's only $6 (really $12 for 2 machines) and I know she's hard to reach, but why pay for something you didn't want?

I ordered 450's w/$.25 mech for $42 as recently as June...and I know that was without a price break.

What model of Oak did you get?

This one: Oak Vista 450

These Oak Vista 450's were still $42 as of a couple months ago.

If the 450 is what you ordered, did you upgrade the std $.25 mech or add anything else that may have bumped the price by $6?

If not, it may be worth trying to reach Olivia directly.

I ordered the Vista 450's with the .25 cent mechs. I did order the 1.1" wheels but hardly think that it would raise it by $6. They may have gone up in price. I'll try to contact Olivia before they ship. Just called back again and she was out of the office for the rest of the day.

Archived