uturn termiinators vs 3 head

bulkyguy

I purchased 10 terminator machines that are being placed by kickstart this week. I have heard and read excellent things about the uturn terminators but I don't seem to read much about them on this forum. I read more about the 2 or 3 head.

I have few questions:

What is the true advantage of the terminators vs 3 heads besides product selection?

Should i expect more revenue due to the size of the machines?

What is a minimal threshold i should keep to justify a terminator in a location?

If it falls below that threshold should i pull it and place it with a smaller machine?

Any feedback would be helpful to this newcomer.

Bulk guy it appears you are new to vending. I am guessing you have candy wheels in your u turns and are planning to run candy. You came to the right place for advice and to acquire knowledge about this business. You must realize that opinions are strong on this site and some people don't sugar coat it. Now that you have a disclaimer let me tell you what I've learned in nearly four years of vending.

First you have to determine your monthly sales goal. I had a full line person tell me that bulk money was ok if you plan on making enough to just go to the movies, ie a little extra cash. This isn't necessarily true. IMHO you need to do toys to make enough money to pay some bills. Candy typically does very poorly compared to toys, just enough to go to the movies.

People have strong feelings about machines as well. Personally I don't like the U-turn machines you have to completely take them apart to service. Furthermore kids always seem to spin them so fast that quarters will come out of the little compartments forcing you to dig for every last quarter. Eight selections of candy is way too much for 95+% of the candy locations you'll find. The reason you'll find more discussions about 3 heads is, if someone wants candy they will be happy with one of the three. This is true since the sales I found were the same for 3 heads vs 8. No to mention the spoilage on an extra 5 heads.

Locating really should be done by yourself instead of paying someone. Do a search on locators on this board and you'll see this topic beat to golpher death! As far as how much in sales is ok or needs to be relocated that falls into your personal goals. This is why is is sooooooooo important to do you own locating. Do you really want to pay someone 25-50 bucks every time they find a stinker of a location doing under $5! You'll just keep going backwards.

I don't mean to discourage you. Be patient, learn the business have fun and don't over invest quickly.

I have heard and read excellent things about the uturn terminators but I don't seem to read much about them on this forum.

One wonders where you heard those excellent things about u-turns.

What is the true advantage of the terminators vs 3 heads besides product selection?

Should i expect more revenue due to the size of the machines?

What is a minimal threshold i should keep to justify a terminator in a location?

If it falls below that threshold should i pull it and place it with a smaller machine?

But seriously, I'm not sure I can add anything more to sterlings post but here are my answers in a nutshell...

1- None

2- No. The size has nothing to do with revenue. The location determines that.

3- Whatever you are happy pulling out of it considering all costs involved.

4- Absolutely, however, a smaller machine is where you should start. Then expand upward if the location warrants.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

For what it's worth to anyone, I have 4 U-Turns on location (all 4-select models, not Terminators). I am selling candy/gumballs only, so far. And, I have used Kickstart for a couple of the U-Turn locations. Over a period of approximately four months, I have averaged the following pulls from these U-turns: (1) $16.20; (2) $29.40; (3) $59.40; and (4) $62.70. So, an average of $41.93 per month, per machine, $10.48 per head. Any combination of machine/location/product that makes you money is good.

I am not a fan of Uturns but I do have a few locations where they do well. You may consider trying some triple heads on your next expansion to see how you like them compared to the Uturns. I have to respectfully disagree with those who are adamantly against using locators. I have used locators frequently and overall am very happy with results. You usually get 10 "no thanks" for every "yes" so that is alot of time to commit to locating. Paying for locating is the cost of doing business for me and I make up that cost on being patient and getting good deals on used equipment.

I am not a fan of Uturns but I do have a few locations where they do well. You may consider trying some triple heads on your next expansion to see how you like them compared to the Uturns. I have to respectfully disagree with those who are adamantly against using locators. I have used locators frequently and overall am very happy with results. You usually get 10 "no thanks" for every "yes" so that is alot of time to commit to locating. Paying for locating is the cost of doing business for me and I make up that cost on being patient and getting good deals on used equipment.

In a way that's true. The thing is even if you locate yourself, your still paying since time is money. And your working for free. I think if you use a locator, it's still good to locate ''throughout'' your day. Like if you happen to stop by a pizza place or a laundry mat in your day, just ask around. I have got several locations just by doing that and i have used locators. There is not just one way. I get referrals too from friends or relatives, i also got a couple of spots in my dads office building and also my dads friends office and they do okay. Infact one of my spots is in my friends little kitchen where he has a few roommates. I actually make about 30 bucks a month or so just by him and his roommates munching on some candy. My friend put a little note on the machine that says only 25 cents, help support my friends business! It sounded like a funny idea at first but it was still better than staying in my garage. Anyways, either your gonna spend money locating or your gonna spend time locating. But when you spend many hours locating, your working so you have to count that as a cost and pay yourself since you are working for free.

I read all the bad things being said about the uturns by many of the operators on here, and why triples are so much better. Triples may well be better, however, if they are the chinese made triples which i know are sold in the usa then i totally disagree, some reasons are:

1. chinese ones are easy to break into both the lock on the lid and the rear door are simple and easy to break into, where you can access the cash and stock with ease.

2. chinese ones are very heavy to lift in particular the base, the uturn is so much lighter and easier to move around.

3. the basic chinese triples have no internal canister to place your stock into, which makes it a pain to empty and clean out.

In saying the above i so know that you can now buy more expensive versions fron china that has removeable canisters etc, i am unsure whether these are available in the usa, some of them are here in Australia but they are well in the minority as they are far more expensive than the cheaper basic triples i described above.

I dont understand all the problems with the uturns so often discussed on these forums, whilst they have their problems as does most other bulk candy machines, in my opinion the vendstars and the chinese made triples are both inferior machines which i most certainly wouldnt recommend or use.

We run a lot of uturns in our bulk fleet, both 4 and 8 selects plus vendmax machines, far more than whats on my profile, we find them a fantastic machine mainly due to its versalility. In the terminators we run candy in 4 canisters, and in the other 4 a combination of bouncy balls and capsuled toys, plus in some machines we also vend the large (jawbreakers) eggs which we find to be very profitable. We have now converted a lot of our machines to $2 coin mechs, so that each machine now has 3 x $1 coin mechs and 1 x $2 coin mech per machine and this has had a big effect on the turnover and bottom line, although we still have some machines with 20 cent mechs which we use to vend gumballs.

The terminators we have are mostly located in hotel and bar playrooms where we find the mix of toys and candy work extremely well. As far as locating is concerned we do siting ourselves both in person and on the telephone and i use a locating company as well as we have to many machines to be able to do servicing and cold calling ourselves. i think the biggest difference between the 2 other than cost is that when doing it yourself you tend to target specific business types where as the locator does all kinds of businesses, sometimes this can work extremely well and now and again you can bag a great site, the kind you would probably would never call on yourself.

Another thing we have done is made ajustments to the coin mechs by grinding off a couple of bits inside the mech which allows for small coins to drop through into the machine, where as before it was causing jams and now it eliminates a lot of callouts.

One of the more frustrating things i find is often when you loose a site is always one of your better ones, rarely do we ever loose a lousy site lol. We have some fantastic sites where we have number of uturns turning over $100 plus each per week, so in the right location these machines work fantastically well, one of the things you dont do with uturns is you never buy new machines!.

Happy Vending!.

That was a great post. The reason why small businesses don't kick you out is probably because they don't have to worry as much about corporate. Big accounts make big money but with that comes the downfall of a high chance of getting kicked out. Their rules are just more strict. Yea I really don't see what the fuss about U turns are. I think people are concerned about product spoilage and the cost of them. I use an air compressor when i take out slow products and they really really preserve the freshness of the candy. I am not using cashews or plain mms except for one spot. They go bad pretty fast and for me they don't sell well. The plain mms only sell well when its not competing against the peanut mms.I think that buying yourself some new U turn machines is the worst thing you can do in vending. Your paying almost 1000 bucks for a new machine, how crazy is that? I think that U turn is wrong for letting their sales guys sell it at that price. How come Vendesign sells at around 280 flat while U turn will charge 800 for a Terminator and more than 550 for a 4 select? That is nuts. The used U turns work every bit as good as the new ones. If you have a broken part, you gotta fix that, but even new u turns will run into as many problems. I prefer the 4 selects, although in certain places 8 selects are cool. But even if you made more with an 8 select, you are spending more on candy and you are working 2 to 3 times harder to service it because you have to tear apart the whole machine and possible collect all the spilled quarters, although there are ways around that. But I don't see too many advantage with using the triples. The triples at Sams club are pretty expensive. If I am using a smaller machine, I wish they would lower the price. I would rather just buy a small toy machine from AA global then spend all that money on a triple. I find that if you have a 4 select machine and one of your products is slow, you should try it out another month or so, and put in a candy that is hard, fill it just half way or less.

• 4 months later...

hey guys....I love your post about uturns. I really do love using uturns because of the four selections. The uturn is actually` the same size as the LYPC double machines that I use. I use LYPC doubles, Uturns, and The new LYPC triple canister machines. I also have LYPC 4 unit racks and six unit racks as well. I think the uturn is one of the best machines out there. Usually the location likes the look of the uturn and I do believe that the more selection the more sales in a lot of cases; not all but a lot. I vend toys and gumballs in my uturns as well and I dont buy new machines!!

hey guys....I love your post about uturns. I really do love using uturns because of the four selections. The uturn is actually` the same size as the LYPC double machines that I use. I use LYPC doubles, Uturns, and The new LYPC triple canister machines. I also have LYPC 4 unit racks and six unit racks as well. I think the uturn is one of the best machines out there. Usually the location likes the look of the uturn and I do believe that the more selection the more sales in a lot of cases; not all but a lot. I vend toys and gumballs in my uturns as well and I dont buy new machines!!

Problem with u turn though is digging for quarters and keeping track of all the inventory, especially the ones that don't sell.

Im just fishing for the the best way to go. I change my mind every day. I just bought a bunch of machines. I bought three different kinds though. I think it would be better if I just stick with one type of machine.

Im just fishing for the the best way to go. I change my mind every day. I just bought a bunch of machines. I bought three different kinds though. I think it would be better if I just stick with one type of machine.

Here is how you do it. Build with the most simple and effective machines and product. Simplify your business. Then as a location permits more products due to sales and/or requests, then you have the option to either bring in another single or upgrade to a u turn or triple.

Today I was scheduled to place a u turn and finish up an order but the salon had no room. They thought it was a counter top machine. This is another example how u turns are too big for most places. Place looks good too.

Archived