Candy vs Toys

Dorado Vending

Candy Vs Toys  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer to vend?

From my experience i think that toys are a better choice to sell. From my recent collection of money i found the largest pile of coins and that all the rings i had brought were just about all sold....... laugh.gif The gumballs and the candy was still there sitting.... I wanna keep working with toys and see were they bring me.

So what do you all prefer toys or candy? or even both!

From my experience i think that toys are a better choice to sell. From my recent collection of money i found the largest pile of coins and that all the rings i had brought were just about all sold....... laugh.gif The gumballs and the candy was still there sitting.... I wanna keep working with toys and see were they bring me.

So what do you all prefer toys or candy? or even both!

Toys and Bouncy balls for me. I pulled a triple candy machine last week and did not replace it with anything because it is an all adult location. I got PMM down to only 3 locations now. I will keep what candy locations I have though. But when the time comes to move on I'm moving on and not looking back. Gumball locations are OK in my book. I have 6 of them with gumballs only in a single head and they do fantastic.

my main issue is the sticky candy. I had a spot that did 90 bucks and only did 7 bucks because the hot tamales were all stuck. Even with the pam spray i just bought, the candy still sticks together a little bit. With the amount of sales i get from candy, i would rather get it from toys. Maybe im just rambling but all these little issues are annoying. So with 15 people liking toy vending and 0 preferring candy, it must be obvious that toys are better.

All the locations that came with the route I just purchased are in office buildings, warehouses and factories. Mostly they are in the break room. There may be a few children coming through occasionally, and I do sell some gumballs but these are basically all adult customers. Toys would not be appropriate. I'm looking for locations which are more gumball friendly and I suppose toys would work there as well but hot tamales and M&Ms are my big sellers.

Tom

The majority of accounts out there will do much better with toys. Kid friendly Accounts will always do better with toys. They will all sell candy but you will sell 4-5 times more toys than candy in these types of accounts. Candy is a slower selling vending item that needs a lot of special attention from you. Sticky, stale, melted, cracked, ants, etc. make it a real challenge. True, not every place is right for toys but I would look for toy customers if you want fast turns and large collections.

I speak from experience.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The majority of accounts out there will do much better with toys. Kid friendly Accounts will always do better with toys. They will all sell candy but you will sell 4-5 times more toys than candy in these types of accounts. Candy is a slower selling vending item that needs a lot of special attention from you. Sticky, stale, melted, cracked, ants, etc. make it a real challenge. True, not every place is right for toys but I would look for toy customers if you want fast turns and large collections.

I speak from experience.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you made 30 bucks a month in a pizza place with candy, how much would you probably make if you just sold toys?

If you made 30 bucks a month in a pizza place with candy, how much would you probably make if you just sold toys?

A whole lot more than that if it is sit down and eat. If it just carry out not that much more. Like Rick said, some locations require candy in order to keep the business. In those cases use a hard pressed candy such as Runts or Bonz instead of the sticky stuff and chocolate.

A whole lot more than that if it is sit down and eat. If it just carry out not that much more. Like Rick said, some locations require candy in order to keep the business. In those cases use a hard pressed candy such as Runts or Bonz instead of the sticky stuff and chocolate.

If it was a sit down and eat, would you also need candy to keep the business? Im trying to understand what your saying. Like in other words people are saying don't vend candy, but vend candy. Im just slightly confused.

I believe a combination is best. I started as many have doing charity vending. Charity tends to be candy not toy locations. Bars,auto,hair salons, ect. Easier to locate either by a professional or ones self. Candy is less complicated, and your suppies can be obtained locally. Also inexpense to figure out if your cut out for this business.I used my candy/gumball locations to fund going after rack locations, and continue to do so. As I need equipment for the next rack, I just pull some of the slower locations, nice small 4 head rack all 1". But even on some of my racks I will put 1 head of candy, usually by request, if it does sell I'll convert to another toy.

JLM no absolutes in this business, got to go with what the location will support.

I believe a combination is best. I started as many have doing charity vending. Charity tends to be candy not toy locations. Bars,auto,hair salons, ect. Easier to locate either by a professional or ones self. Candy is less complicated, and your suppies can be obtained locally. Also inexpense to figure out if your cut out for this business.I used my candy/gumball locations to fund going after rack locations, and continue to do so. As I need equipment for the next rack, I just pull some of the slower locations, nice small 4 head rack all 1". But even on some of my racks I will put 1 head of candy, usually by request, if it does sell I'll convert to another toy.

JLM no absolutes in this business, got to go with what the location will support.

Well said Timberframe!

If it was a sit down and eat, would you also need candy to keep the business? Im trying to understand what your saying. Like in other words people are saying don't vend candy, but vend candy. Im just slightly confused.

In other words, if the business requests candy you have to put it in or refuse the location or try to talk them out of it. Obviously putting toys in an all adult break room would be pointless.

In a sit down and eat restaraunt, people will bring their kids in and sit down and eat a meal, so the kids are the target group. In an order only place the adults would be the target group because they are just standing there waiting for the food to be prepared and therefore candyor gum would be more likely to sell vs toys.

In other words, if the business requests candy you have to put it in or refuse the location or try to talk them out of it. Obviously putting toys in an all adult break room would be pointless.

In a sit down and eat restaraunt, people will bring their kids in and sit down and eat a meal, so the kids are the target group. In an order only place the adults would be the target group because they are just standing there waiting for the food to be prepared and therefore candyor gum would be more likely to sell vs toys.

Fair enough. That's better said.

Can you give an example of that? Im trying to understand why some would be better of with candy.

More upscale restaurants, tanning salons, gyms, bars, etc. You won't find too many adults willing to plunk in quarters for a toy at a bar. I have found that some hair stylist spots also don't do well with toys. There isn't a single item that will do great everywhere. You have to know who your location brings in, adults or kids, then place the appropriate machine.

Shawn

we have both 4 and 8 select uturns in hotels/bars that always turnover in excess of $100 every month..........these sites are mostly candy although some do haave bouncy balls and toys as well, but the biggest seller by far are the candy.

• 8 months later...

In reading this forum I would say do both. A good business has a little diversity to it. In vending there is all kinds. Candy, toys, health items, etc... Start with candy as you build you can add toys as you progress along. I don't have any hotels motels yet but when I do I plan on also looking into vending the little 1.00 aspirin sinus med packs or other items like that. Anything you can do to improve your revenue at a stop is a good thing. When I ran my sandwich route I also sold other items besides just sandwiches. Beef jerky, microwave popcorn, we would provide a hot dog cooker and 1/4 lb hot dogs or polish dogs. Any items upped your sales and made you more money. This is a service business and the more ways you can service an account the more valuable you will be and less likely to have someone move in on one of your accounts. Will it stop it completely no but it dose help.

I like toys better but all of you who are so ingnorant and want to ignore candy have limited your customers. I just collected one head of skittles and for one month there was $75 from two bags of skittles.

Those of you who are saying candy is less profitable are not always correct. A box of jawbreaker cost 35-40 for 850. 750 capsules would cost you 10-20 more for that same 850 with displays.

There are alot of places where toys are not hot. Auto repair, break rooms, car dealerships, printing places basically any business that has foot traffic and kids dont go to these places often.

I like toys better but all of you who are so ingnorant and want to ignore candy have limited your customers. I just collected one head of skittles and for one month there was $75 from two bags of skittles.

Those of you who are saying candy is less profitable are not always correct. A box of jawbreaker cost 35-40 for 850. 750 capsules would cost you 10-20 more for that same 850 with displays.

There are alot of places where toys are not hot. Auto repair, break rooms, car dealerships, printing places basically any business that has foot traffic and kids dont go to these places often.

I dont vend candy at all, but that doesnt make me ignorant! In bulk vending there are several business models that are followed, I prefer vending toys and gumballs, and my cogs averages 19%

Referring to other vendors on this forum seems "ignorant" to me!

I dont vend candy at all, but that doesnt make me ignorant! In bulk vending there are several business models that are followed, I prefer vending toys and gumballs, and my cogs averages 19%

Referring to other vendors on this forum seems "ignorant" to me!

I didnt mean you will vend or all other vendors but there are a select few on this forum who I was refering to but didnt want to specify which ones. Like I said toys are the way to go I prefer them. But Candy can be profitable as well and some vendors are limited by just doing toys.

Archived