Skittles VS Mike & Ike's

The Master Key

That's how we do it. Not just with Mike N Ikes candy but With Hot Tamales too.

Be careful it's easy to use too much. It takes less than you think.

When we're done you can't even feel it on the candy surface. I have also tested individual pieces by placing them on paper towels and the oil doesn't even come off the candy and show.

Oh, and Unflavored Pam too, of course.

Dave

Sorry, shoulda said...

Skittles sell just slightly better than Mike and Ikes, for me anyway.

A quick spray with some kind of kitchen spray (Pam), and stir them with a spoon. Not alot, just enough to keep them from getting sticky and such.

WOW   I never heard of such a thing!!   See what we learn in this great place?!?

I probably am good till summer right?  I dont think my M&I's will stick in the winter do you?

Eve,

I have 1800 vend machines and M&I's do stick together during the summer but have never jammed up my machines. I have had them through August without a problem. Most customers will lightly tap the canister and the lump of M&I's will come apart. Also, when you go to collect or refill them, just take a spoon and mix them. I think the oil will work but even the smallest amount of oil could become spoiled in hot weather. Just don't over fill the canisters so that you are constaintly moving the product through.

Gary

There are differing opinions on how to apply non-flavored cooking spray to candies like M&I and HT. You would be surprised at how little you actually need to accomplish your goal. By far the best way that I have found to apply is to put your M&I in a clean bucket. (Tupperware) Then spray a wooden spoon with your favorite non-flavored cooking spray and stir the M&I. Believe it or not, thats all you need. I know some here lay out the candy and lightly spray them that way but I think if you are spraying directly onto the candy, you are applying too much. 

Just to keep this thread on topic, I will say that for me, M&I sold much better than Skittles.

Steve

In all most all my machines, my number one is M&M Peanuts. Also carry cashews in most but am thinking of adding about a third peanuts because of the cost of Cashew. But cashew go good, but the cost is getting prohibitive. Will call it a nut mix. Mike and Ikes and Hot tamales are the next favorite, but I sure have had to pull a lot of Hot Tamales over time. hate the loss. Chocolate raisens seem to do good also.  Can't get skittles here in Portland Oregon from Costco any more so have had to pull them. They weren't a good seller for me. My input! I always taste test the M&I's and Hot tamales to see if they are getting hard.

Eve, that's a tough demand but I have heard it before. I explain to my accounts how important it is, for me, to have it in the mix of products I sell in their store. 1. (PROFITABLITY!) You have to have a mix that gives you a higher blended margin. Hopefully, the store owner can understand that...

2. It is amazing but adults chew just as much gum as kids. (I guess some adults just never grow up). With all the no smoking restrictions adults are chewing more now than every before.

3. Also, if the account owner doesn't like gum he or she thinks that no one needs to have gum. Many times they want you to fill the machine with their favorate candy.

Try giving them these few points of interest and see if it helps.

Let use know how it goes...

Gary

I wish I had Gumballs in more locations also. Just no demand for them it seems. I do have generic "peppermint patties" in several locations and they sell very well. I have several machines that dispense peppermint patties on one side and PMM's on the other. My cost per peppermint patty is only 3 cents. I make up for the PMM's a bit that way. The machines are pretty unique and they can't be near the sun because melted chocolate isn't a normal customer request. :D

I have been fortunate with gumballs. We have 4 machines at good locations and we have pulled almost $60.00 in the last 7 weeks just from gumballs from those 4 locations. I will be servicing again tomorrow on part of our route also.

I really had no drive to sell gumballs but they have done well for us. I would encourage everyone to just keep trying out product mixes to see what brings in the most profit at each location. The 1800 machines come with the gumball wheel in the center because the profit on gumballs is so high. So you can sell a good mix to keep your margins as high as possible.

I like the peppermint and Pmm idea too. That is a good idea. As long as your margins are good it really doesn't matter what you are selling. But the key is to have a good margin from your route overall. I like the fact that we have a three product mix that seems to do well overall. Gumballs, Pmm's and Skittles.