Commissions, off gross or net?

caserri

Interesting, I didn't know that. No, it's not a rehab facility - haha. It's in a asian marketplace area where domos and hello kitty fly out of the machine like hot cakes. I might lose the location because they are asking for more commission on gross, the COGs will not make it worth it. We'll see.

Do you guys pay commissions on gross or net?

isnt all commission off the gross? i mean its just how you want to look at it

I'm confused gross or net you're still paying. I only pay off gross, because it is easier for me. I have this conversation with the location prior to installing. All of my locations understand my cost is 40%. If they get gready I remind them of my cost and the fact that I do all the work. (Have never lost one yet) I start every location at 20% and go up, depending on sales. This is also cover before installation. I think this should help the popcorn section.

Always pay on gross collection but always take off your cost before paying commission to a customer. If you tell the account that you will pay them 25% commission, you are paying them 25% of your profit not 25% of the gross collection. It would be more like 17% of the take, (collection) would be 25% commission.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always pay on gross collection but always take off your cost before paying commission to a customer. If you tell the account that you will pay them 25% commission, you are paying them 25% of your profit not 25% of the gross collection. It would be more like 17% of the take, (collection) would be 25% commission.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gary, with all due respect isn't that a little misleading

sounds like you can offer either, but most people offer commission on net. I find it easier to offer a lower commission on gross so you don't have to get into COGs and all the detailed books. it comes out to almost the same depending on what structure you're offering....but I would never tell a location I'm paying off gross and pay them off net.

If you count the money in your machine and give them 35% you are paying GROSS. If you deduct ANYTHING you are not. Is this really debatable?

"Gross" is a word with a meaning not an opinion.

I can deduct. Tax, License fees, Product cost, Fuel surcharge, Van payment, My Lunch...............

Net can be defined in different ways. Gross cant.

Mike

See 4q? Short fuse. :)

Once you've been here a while, you'll see that there are a handful of topics that really get the guys going. Paying commission off of gross or net is one of them. :)

It's good to get the blood flowing every now and then. It reminds you that you're alive!

Sent using Tapatalk from a phone that's smarter than me.

Earlier I posted I pay 20% of gross and a 40% cost struture. So I collect $100 gross @ 20% I pay $20.Simple, if I pay off net it would be 33 1/3 times $60 which would result in $19.98 same $20 in my book. So for thick headed owners that wasn't more I'll tell them I'll pay 33% of the profits.

From the Dictionary - Copied and pasted.

Gross:

without deductions; total, as the amount of sales, salary, profit, etc., before taking deductions for expenses, taxes, or the like ( opposed to net): gross earnings; gross sales.

unqualified; complete; rank: a gross scoundrel.

Sorry couldnt help myself.

Im sure this has been covered. Hello Kitty(Tomy) is only available through Ford Gum and I think only shipped from the CA warehouse.

Mike

Earlier I posted I pay 20% of gross and a 40% cost struture. So I collect $100 gross @ 20% I pay $20.Simple, if I pay off net it would be 33 1/3 times $60 which would result in $19.98 same $20 in my book. So for thick headed owners that wasn't more I'll tell them I'll pay 33% of the profits.

The way I figure it, 40% costs leaves $60 net, so 20% of $60 is $12, not $20. Am I figuring it right? Unless you have a different pay structure for gross and net?

sounds like you can offer either, but most people offer commission on net. I find it easier to offer a lower commission on gross so you don't have to get into COGs and all the detailed books. it comes out to almost the same depending on what structure you're offering....but I would never tell a location I'm paying off gross and pay them off net.

Most people offer a pay out on gross not net. So your wrong there. I don't see an issue either way and I only know of a hand full of companies who pay off net. But the problem comes in when companies pay off net but lead the store to believe its off gross. There are two operators In areas where I operate that miss lead the store owner and I use this to my advantage when taking locations. My 30 to 40% sounds better than the % less cost that the other companies pay. The

Only reason people use that crazy less cost pay out is to make the % to the store sound better. If you want to pay 30 than pay it don't mislead with oh I will pay 40 then take out my 20%.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Dperry, I pay off gross so it would be $20. 20% of gross is the sane as 33% of net with a 40% COGS.

Ha, I also use this to my avantage, my biggest competitor has some crazy way of paying and I got my last 2 location because of the simple easy to understand commisson..

Who is the new kid (BouncyBalls)

Dperry, I pay off gross so it would be $20. 20% of gross is the sane as 33% of net with a 40% COGS.

Ha, I also use this to my avantage, my biggest competitor has some crazy way of paying and I got my last 2 location because of the simple easy to understand commisson..

I think it may be Jax. Obviously not new with over 2000 posts.

So if you throw 33% off net at them, they think that's more than the 20% off gross. The likely only hear the numbers, and not the reference to what it is a percentage of, so they think the 33% is more than 20%. I generally give 25%. So if I said 25% of gross, or 41% off of net. I imagine that would sound awesome to a prospective location.

I get into this argument in my FTJ as well. The only difference is people confuse margin with markup, and as you know there is one heck of a difference. The majority of people don't understand net and gross, even some business managers and owners. And it gets worse with the younger generation of people. A lot of them can not even give the correct change back at a register if you give them a few coins along with your bills.

BTW, I pay off the gross for simplicity. I do fudge a little and round down to the nearest dollar though. Also all pennys, nickels, and dimes, I don't count.

Jax, if you read this here is some trivia for you. Jimmy Buffett has a song called "Math Sucks". It would be appropriate here.

Archived