Service Vehicle

Big Mike

We have made due with our '05 Ford Freestar since we started in the vending business. It only has 240,000 miles.

I think we will retire it around 400,000.

The best we have ever done with it is 1-31" smart crane. 1-7way NW rack and 1-5way NW rack all in it at the same time. That was alot of sweating and swearing. 2.5 hrs one way to place machines and you use every square inch of space you have.

When it is time to replace it we are considering: Ford Freestar, Ford Transit or Sprinter.( We would consider other brands of minivan I just dont want to list them all.) I cant imagine we can look at a full size van do to fuel milage. We just run way to many miles out here in the IA & MO. The three listed above at all 20mpg or higher.

What is the best way to buy a used low mile van? Any connections to wholesellers or websites I need to know about?

Any other vehicles Im not thinking of?

Mike

If u can come to el paso ill hook you up. Theres an 08 chevy express van. Has 40k miles. Has lockers shelves a safe and a cooler too. We only have 9 grand cost in it. Also an 07 tacoma 4 cyl single cab auto with 76k miles has an industrial camper with shelves auto etc we got 5k cost

Not sure what year you are looking for or how many miles. Have you checked into the Chevy Astro Van? Consumer reviews on edmunds.com were pretty decent. But GM stopped making them in 05 or 06. But a decent size mini van with a cargo version. I really like Edmunds for research. A bit tedious since you have to go into each year to read the reviews, but great info. The reviews on Dodge/Chrysler Caravan/T&C were pretty bad for 08 to 10. In fact the consumer reviews on Chrysler T&C were bad for the last 10 years! And yea, I really don't want a full size cargo van either.

And gumballprice, I researched the Aerostar on Edmunds as well. They had one of the best consumer reviews of all the mini vans. The biggest complaint was why Ford stopped making them since they were so reliable. The next generation was the Windstar, which is what I have, and it has been a real money pit!

Not sure what year you are looking for or how many miles. Have you checked into the Chevy Astro Van? Consumer reviews on edmunds.com were pretty decent. But GM stopped making them in 05 or 06. But a decent size mini van with a cargo version. I really like Edmunds for research. A bit tedious since you have to go into each year to read the reviews, but great info. The reviews on Dodge/Chrysler Caravan/T&C were pretty bad for 08 to 10. In fact the consumer reviews on Chrysler T&C were bad for the last 10 years! And yea, I really don't want a full size cargo van either.

And gumballprice, I researched the Aerostar on Edmunds as well. They had one of the best consumer reviews of all the mini vans. The biggest complaint was why Ford stopped making them since they were so reliable. The next generation was the Windstar, which is what I have, and it has been a real money pit!

Ill check out Edmunds. The Freestar(The followup to the Windstar) has done very well for us. They had to put a transmission in it at 50,000. I had to put one in it at 175,000 other than that and two wheel seals it has been problem free.

We just want something with more space. Transit's have been around long enough Edmunds should have good info on them. Thanks!

Mike

• 1 month later...

I would definetley invest in a contractor box trailer maybe as long as the back end of your mini-van, along with a new mini-van you could haul twice the amount. Would you ever consider the freightleiner van series? they have nice small ones and some midsize and full size. along with that boxtrailer or not you could haul double the capacity!

Archived