Beverage market research - product mix question

carogan

I have two questions I would like to put out to all you vending gurus!!

1. Where can someone find some market research on the demand for the different products of bottled/canned beverages, in different sizes, in their market area without paying an arm and a leg for this research. The bottler doesn't appear to want to give this info away...when I request this info it almost appears that they have a different agenda than what we as vendors might have in maximizing revenue (ie. they want to push bottles instead of cans, or want to push products lines that may or may not be the most profitable for their vendors).

I don't want to necessarily rely on my rep's suggestions, although I will consider their advice, but independant market research would certainly be much preferable.

2. Can anyone with a beverage machine list their best sellers in order from most popular to least - preferably with can or bottle size noted.

Thank you for your help!

Rob

I have two questions I would like to put out to all you vending gurus!!

1. Where can someone find some market research on the demand for the different products of bottled/canned beverages, in different sizes, in their market area without paying an arm and a leg for this research. The bottler doesn't appear to want to give this info away...when I request this info it almost appears that they have a different agenda than what we as vendors might have in maximizing revenue (ie. they want to push bottles instead of cans, or want to push products lines that may or may not be the most profitable for their vendors).

I don't want to necessarily rely on my rep's suggestions, although I will consider their advice, but independant market research would certainly be much preferable.

2. Can anyone with a beverage machine list their best sellers in order from most popular to least - preferably with can or bottle size noted.

Thank you for your help!

Rob

If you check the online Automatic Merchandiser Magazine. http://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/ Click the reports tab they have copies of this years issues. Each month they have lots of good information and once a year they put out the annual edition which captures pricing, sales, etc.

Poplady

Rob,

Even if you look at a list of "best sellers" it can only give you a base line of where to start. Each account is different and you will need to adjust for each account. A good way to start when getting a new account is get a "drink list" from the account. Let them have some say in what goes in. If you want more control then give them a a list of products you carry and ask them to rank them in the order they want them.

Each account can vary so much when it comes to what drinks sell and what dosent. It also can vary from region to region. Here in my area a drink called Cheerwine is popular and I am willing to bet it is not on a list from market research. I know their is a drink called Big Red that is popular in a certain area but I have never seen it here in my area. Accounts can vary based on demographics also which play a big part in selection.

Again, ask the account what they want based on the drinks you have to choose from......

I agree that a product mix will vary by machine and account. It is impossible to determine them at the beginning even with a drink list from the account. Often customers will overplay how much they or their coworkers drink a certain beverage. The most consistent way to deliver the exact right mix is to use and update menus inside your machine that detail what has been in the machine and what has sold and what hasn't. Then over time you can calibrate to your customers' exact tastes.

That is, until they change what they want...

Archived