Question about hiring a route manager

Crimson Tide

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has hired a manager for a bulk candy vending route. Is there an accepted rule of thumb (e.g., number of dollars per location serviced) for determining fair compensation? Did you at any point experience, or suspect, thievery on the part the employee? Deterioration in customer relationships attributable to the route manager ? Did the arrangement work out?

Crimson Tide

I was will.vends route guy for a week this past summer. Twelve hour days were the norm. Pay sucked but he fed me good. I weighed my pockets down every day.grin.gif

As the owner, you should have a very good idea how much should come out of each machine. Unless there is a problem. If it was me I would have an idea in my head of a certain deviation. If he crosses that, then there would be cause for alarm.

I would rather hire a guy to do all the tasks that are required in the shop. At least you wouldn't have to worry about him stealing cash. Just my .02

I'm not sure about hiring someone for an all candy route the margin is much lower. If trust is an issue you could always use counters. But I'm very happy with the guy I have he worked for me a while through a temp agency so I offered him full time. It frees me up a lot to so I can find new locations and do things like trying plush. Sales are up and net is up. He used to sell cars so he is great at locating after all locating is selling. Hes paid by the hour and a small cut of colections and a bonus for new locations. He's gone 2 to 3 nights a week. In a couple years I would like to hire another guy and a full time locator. Maybe we will go to north west LA and locate I hear they really need good vending company.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

You seem to be asking about candy locations only. Single heads and similar units. The economics of these locations is such that you can't afford a route 'manager' (or even a route driver. lol. I get a kick out of fancy job titles). In my opinion the cut-off where it becomes profitable to have a route driver is at about $60/ collection. and you can't have a route of all $60 collections. You need to be picking up at least $1000/day.

Compensation- there are 2 common methods. Salary or Commission. Depending on where you are located and whether or not you are providing the vehicle and the quality of the employee, salaries for a begining route driver are about $100 a day. Commissioned drivers get in the range of 8% of sales.

The time tested way to check on your employee is to go to a location before he gets there, count the money, put it back in the machine and see if he gives you the right amount of money. This should be done on a regular basis. Tell the location what you are doing first. If they tip the driver off at least he knows you are watching.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer. I'm not to the point yet of needing a manager but, long before I am able to cover my living expenses through vending, I will run out of discretionary time that I can devote to servicing machines. Just planning ahead for the time when I can no longer maintain my day job and continue to expand my route.

Great info...great thread.

Hopefully one day a bunch of us will have the route size and vending income worthy of needing hired help.

The we will all come in here and complain about our employees instead of complaining about having to vend candy and/or dealing with some foolish location owners/managers. :lol:

Thanks to you especially havending...that's good stuff.

Now I know who to go to if when my route gets big enough to justify hiring an employee.

Archived