Market trends and industry information

eboniesmith

In composing a business plan, I'm doing research on market trends and bulk vending industry information.  A librarian lead me to a book called The Encylopedia of America's Industries.  Where else can I find information on market trends, industry info, and related information?

• 4 weeks later...

I made a post and didn't get anyone from the forum who was actually a member of NVBA.  To be more specific, I'm looking for this type of market and industry trending:  how competitive is the bulk vending industry, how financially healthy is the bulk vending industry, what are the average profit margins within the industry, etc 

Anyone know a good source for this information?  Maybe it's on here and I'm just overlooking it? :?

Ebonie,

I hope this isn't too simplistic but here are some honest answers to your questions.

how competitive is the bulk vending industry,

Very. This is evidenced by looking around your area. I'm sure you will be hard pressed to find quality locations that have no, or only one, other vendor already occupying the space.

how financially healthy is the bulk vending industry

Latest figures indicate over 2.2 million machines in operation generating close to $416 million annually.

what are the average profit margins within the industry

20 to 30% Cost of goods is average.

Steve 

Ebonie,

I hope this isn't too simplistic but here are some honest answers to your questions.

how competitive is the bulk vending industry,

Very. This is evidenced by looking around your area. I'm sure you will be hard pressed to find quality locations that have no, or only one, other vendor already occupying the space.

how financially healthy is the bulk vending industry

Latest figures indicate over 2.2 million machines in operation generating close to $416 million annually.

what are the average profit margins within the industry

Steve 

Thanks Steve.  Is this something you already know or did you get it from a source?  In my supporting documents, I'd like to cite my sources.

Source: Attempts at self locating. First hand knowledge.

Source: Latest figures published at NBVA.org

Source: First hand knowledge. Obviously the lower you can get your cost of goods sold percentage, the larger the profit margin. Depending on your mix of products, this range is very attainable. You should never purchase anything that would cause your COGs to exceed 30%

Here are some sample COGs % that I personally have...

• GB - 7.6%
  • Flat (stickers & tatts) - 20%
  • Toys - 24%
  • PMM - 28%
With the above %'s, I know I'm running profitable.

Steve