Liability Insurance

remarcvending

Ok, so I got a phone message today from a good location of mine that said a customer just chipped a tooth on my chicklets and that I should replace them right away.  :shock:  My first reaction was "no big deal" but then I got to wondering if I could get sued for having bad stail candy in the machine.  I will go there tomorrow and put out the fire, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experience and what did they do?  Thanks,

Buddy, that is why I carry insurance. They could chip a tooth on your gum, or chock on your toys, it all matters. I carry it, and it will pay off one day...

I think you will be OK, but this is a wake up call! If someone needed money bad enough, and was rude enough, this would give them a good opportunity!

Kyle

Remarc,

I got to wondering if I could get sued for having bad stail candy in the machine. 

Thankfully, you can't be sued for that, otherwise we would all be in a heap of sh**! :D

On a serious note, liability concerns are very valid fears for the vending operator. In this lawsuit happy time we live in you have to assume that people will try to cash in if they are injured, or even inconvenienced in some way, by your machine or product.

Bottom line is that you own the machine and products you offer in them. Since you are providing the products to the public. You are responsible for ensuring your machines and/or products do not injure, mame, or kill anyone. It is much the same as driving a car. You are responsible for the safe operation of that machine. You have insurance to protect you in the event that you cause harm to someone. Your vending business should be no different. 

It is hard to justify the added expense of liability insurance when someone has a few machines out there but consider the alternative. Can you afford a lawsuit because of a chipped tooth? My advice to you is to do one of two things, no matter how many machines you have.

• Purchase liability insurance. This will protect your personal assets should you be sued.  - OR-
  • Incorporate as an LLC. When you incorporate as an LLC any lawsuit that your business incurs will be limited to your business assets. Your business may lose all of its assets but your personal assets will be protected.
I am not an attorney or an insurance agent so investigate the options further before you decide which avenue is appropriate for you. Hopefully your brush with a lawsuit will not turn out to be anything more than a wake up call.

Steve

OK, so I went there today, and I think one of the employees just didn't want gum in there because my candy wasn't even hard.  I ate about 6 of them from and they were good.  :)Thanks for the help though- I think I'll look into the liability insurance anyway.  Steve, how much does this run? I've got about 60 machines out.  Thanks,

remarcvending

It is an umbrella insurance that, if I am not mistaken is the same across the country.  You get a flat preset limit of $1million coverage whether you have 1 machine or 500 machines.  I was quoted $250 myself and believe there is another thread on here somewhere that others have gotten prices between $200-$300 if memory services me correctly.