Should I go for it?

G-man422

I have someone who is selling some antique gas pump gumball machines (cylinder style).  They're 7 years old, but in great condition (accoding to her).  They have Beaver coin mechs.  She said they were bought for about $1400 a piece new.  Does this sound right?  I can't find them anywhere on the web.  She is asking $300 a piece.  Is this worth it?  Where would i locate a 6 1/2 foot gumball machine???  Is it a good deal?  I'm worried I wont be able to locate these myself.  Because of their size they may be limited to very large locations......

Also she said she had 3 "mini giants".  I could not find any of these either.  They have an eagle coin mech, and a round globe..  I get these free if I buy all the gas pumps.

What should I do?  I really dont have this kind of money to throw around, but it seems like a good deal.  I may have to go "terms" with her.

What do you guys think?

I personally would not have a one on location if it were free. There are a few spots where a nice spiral will work but a gas pump is just a good place to let your gum get stale.

Mike

I personally have neither. The spiral has a bit smaller globe plus its a spiral. The kids love to watch that gumball zing around. The gas pumps that are around here are just big gumball machines with huge globes. I think a spiral will out sell a regular gumball machine but a gas pump would not.

Mike

Hi G-man,

Don't know if you're still considering the gas pump idea or not, since Mike shot 'em down.

There are some on eBay. Search for Gas pump gumball machine

there were even some with Beaver coin mech's.

I was thnking maybe in a location along historic Route 66 it would fit right in.

Dave

BTW I searched usedvending.com and found those Mini-Giants...

http://usedvending.com/california.php

This was just the first place I looked. Right now it is the fourth item down on the list.

D

Just figured I'd let you guys know I picked up 5 for $100 a piece.  They're about 7 feet tall, and in great condition.  I'm really excited to get them located because they have Beaver coin mechs and I want to see if Beaver lives up to it's name  ;).  I got 3 reds, 1 blue, and 1 yellow.  I'll see If I can get some pictures up soon.

Congrats. I have seen several of the pumps. Gas Stations are where I would go for it. However, I think people don't notice them as bulk machines. I know there was one in my Kroger store, and realised about 5 months ago it was a bulk machine. Gum never turns out of it, but the gum in normal machines next to it sells out.

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  Yes, the top portion can be used to personalize them.  Thats going to be my main focus when trying to locate them (no locations for them yet).   I was also thinking of selling advertising space on that area....but not sure how well that would go over. 

PS: Thank you to whoever edited my post so everyone can see the pictures.

What I suggest you do is put the word GUM on the top instead. It could possibly make it more obvious to those who may not realize they a gumball machines plus I think it would ad a bit of retro novelty to them. See pump on left in pic below.

Posted Image

Thanks Brian.  Funny story actually.  Due to personal reasons, I had to sell my car, :?  but I used my parents van to transport them.  Hopefuly with any luck I'll be able to find a van of my own soon.

**Off to search autotrader**