(A not so) Hypothetical Question

Smiley

I see a lot of good talk here on keeping your equipment clean and shiny. But, I'm interested in how you guys and gals would handle a situation like this:

You have a very good account. A small chain of 99 cent stores. They get a commission.

Half the time you get there to service, the machines look like crap. It seems that every time a customer complains about the machines the employees tape them up with some tape that doesn't come off the machines. Sometimes they write on them with permanent markers. When they paint the floors or walls they get it on your machines. Etc....

When you complain. they tell you they'll stop, but they don't. Sometimes you spend the extra time to clean them and some of those times they are nearly uncleanable.

When you test the machines, they usually work, but with our machines they are going to misfire 1-2% of the time even when they are working.

What to do with these profitable locations?

A- spend the same amount of time cleaning them as you would any of your stops and basically let them look like crap?

B- stay dilligent. spend the extra time cleaning. spend the extra money replacing. even if it means you get to way less stops a day.

C- pull the machines. There is no way your going to have your name on a bunch of machines that look like garbage.

D-:huh:????

Smiley wrote:

I see a lot of good talk here on keeping your equipment clean and shiny. But, I'm interested in how you guys and gals would handle a situation like this:

You have a very good account. A small chain of 99 cent stores. They get a commission.

Half the time you get there to service, the machines look like crap. It seems that every time a customer complains about the machines the employees tape them up with some tape that doesn't come off the machines. Sometimes they write on them with permanent markers. When they paint the floors or walls they get it on your machines. Etc....

When you complain. they tell you they'll stop, but they don't. Sometimes you spend the extra time to clean them and some of those times they are nearly uncleanable.

When you test the machines, they usually work, but with our machines they are going to misfire 1-2% of the time even when they are working.

What to do with these profitable locations?

A- spend the same amount of time cleaning them as you would any of your stops and basically let them look like crap?

B- stay dilligent. spend the extra time cleaning. spend the extra money replacing. even if it means you get to way less stops a day.

C- pull the machines. There is no way your going to have your name on a bunch of machines that look like garbage.

D-:huh:????

for me you answered the question in the second sentence. if it is a good account and i am making good money i will put up with the extra headache. i would spend a little extra time and try to keep them presentable. i dont know how many stores you have in that chain, but i would keep them looking good to keep the account.

money talks my friend.

good luck

Smiley:

For an account like that I would have one or two back up machines. Whenever a machine looks like it needs TLC, I drop in the stunt double and take it back to be cleaned up and returned on the next visit. Keeps field time down and the location stays operating at peak.

Regards,

Philo

Depending how profitable the location is and how many locations are in the chain I would probably keep it and go with option B.

I would try to find some creative way to get the employees on your side.  Free candy everytime you service or something.  It sounds like the employees are the problem not the customers. 

You said this is a chain of stores.  Is this happening at every location?

Brian

This is a great post Smiley. I would have to also pick 'B'. If it's a chain of stores and it is making you money, you have to deal with these problems the best you can.

Philo is right, you should have a few back up machines that could replace those machines that get messed up.

Vending machines always take a beaten by employees and customers. There are very few businesses that care about your equipment so if you want to have this chain, you will have to except these conditions.

Brian, (MasterKey) has a good point-is it happening in all the stores are just a few?

Gary

More than half the locations. More than half the time in those locations.

Believe it or not, It wears you down emotionally. When you first place the new machines you have dreams of keeping them looking new. After a few years of abuse by the employees, you stop caring.

ADDED INFORMATION:

As you might have guessed if you thought about it, The stores themselves are not shiny, spotless stores. Does this change your answer?

I was kinda thinking the same thing but didn't want to insult you. You know, sometimes those sorts of locations are the best for vending machines. The customers just expect to find vending products in those stores. Customers don't want to pay more than 99 cents for anything they buy. That's why 99 Cents stores are the fastest growing segment in the retail industry.

We have a chain of $5.99 stores here in California. (It's a clothing store but women come in with there kids all the time.) I guess there are between 18-25 stores total in the San Diego area.

I called the owner last August to ask him about vending machines and he told me to wait a year and call him back.

Guess what I am doing in August.

Gary

I would buy some used machines that are in operational order and look decent and cycle those through the locations. I agree with Brian also about trying to get the employees on your side. You could try bringing in free "fun size" pkts of candy for them every so often and trying to be friendly with them when servicing the machines.

I would use the least expensive machines I could for the locations and cycle the machines through when they get too messy just swap them with another one while you clean them up.

Just a thought........

Depending on the percentage of the commission paid, I would deduct that percent off the machine replaced. That way you're not absorbing the total cost of the machine.

On the other hand, if your contract states you assume all liablity of the equipment, you won't be able to do that. Chalk it up as a lesson learned for future accounts and change the wording in the contract.

Have you talked to the person that approved the placement of your machines? I know you mentioned in another post it's really difficult finding the manager or owner of an account because they are always busy and don't want to be bothered. You were persistant in getting the account with that person, well then be persistant in solving the problem.