Local Charity Education...

kcinnick

We really need a way to educate local charities that bulk vending is not some sort of scam.  I was going use the local food bank since they are struggling so much right now.  They have really been hurt since Katrina.  I had everything lined up, and today I get a email from the PR person at the food bank saying that they will not be able to work with me.  I called and I got the feeling they thought I was trying to run a scam.  I wanted donate 10% of my sales to them in exchange for placing a small sticker on my machine, I just don't understand what they were thinking.  They are going on the local morning news shows all the time begging for donations, and when someone knocks on their door offering passive income, they slam it shut.

Your heart is in the right place so I am sorry they gave you a hard time. You would be better off going to your church or a church and find out if you could donate to one of their many causes. Most of them feed the hungry, the poor, the homeless, etc. A donation of 10% would go a long way with them. Try it out and see what happens.

If you need more help I have a great one you could give to. Check my website for one called Faithquest. I know the missionaries that run it. I could get stickers for your machines if you want.

Gary

kcinnick

Don't take it too personal, food banks have been around a long time and have been used for many scams. When I approched my local food bank they were the same. As the director told me they have lent thier name to a few vending operators and only had one experience that was good and that was in the 60's-80's. But other then that not so good.

I purchased my route, and while I was doing research I was looking at full line and other bulk operators, anyways I got to see a few different finicials and was amased at how little was actually being forward to some charitys, way below the agreed amount. Just because you are honest doesn't mean your neighbor is.

My charity is kind of cool and I prefer this way of doing it compared to others. I buy my products from one vendor who charges a fair amount compared to others. Then I write a cheque to the charity at a percentage of what I bought. (5%-20% depending on price point) That is it, he submits the cheque to the charity on my behalf. No monthly fee, no percentage of sales.

Grumpy

I think I am going to go with Local Hunger, but I would really prefer the local food bank.  I might try something else.  I would go straight commision, but I think it might be easier to go with a charity.  I also have not figured out what an "industry standard" commision rate is.  People will say 20%, but not 20% of what.  Gross profit, Sales, Net profit???  It seems like 20% of gross profit would make the most sense.

Oh well, maybe the charity world has been burned by one to many vending industry scams over the years.

I also have not figured out what an "industry standard" commision rate is.  People will say 20%, but not 20% of what.  Gross profit, Sales, Net profit???  It seems like 20% of gross profit would make the most sense.

Probably not the proper thread for this but let me address this point.

Granted, I have never been one for commission placements until Smiley enlightened me so I'm a bit of a greenhorn when it comes to this side of vending. In the short amount of time that I have been paying a commission, I have realized that there is no standard rate. Every location is different in terms of what they expect and what you expect from the location. The one thing that is constant and controllable is how much per vend you need to keep in order to stay profitable. This number is always the same regardless of the location and only you can determine what that number is for you. Once you figure out what that number is, it will give you a range that you would be able to pay and still be profitable. I let the location decide how much they want and if it falls below my predetermined maximum amount, we have a deal. Obviously we all want to pay as little as possible but as long as you stay under your "line of profitability" then you will be okay. My point in all this is that I don't have, nor do I offer, a standard commission rate. It varies from location to location.

Just to get back on topic, I will say that it is very disheartening to realize that a charity would be more than happy you take your personal charitable donation but not one from your company. Last time I checked, money is money. I do see their point but it still sucks that we have to suffer because of the bad deeds of others.

If you are adamant about supporting that cause, you still can. I support my local chapter of the ACS Relay for Life. They have no vending outreach and I don't know what they would say should they find out where my contributions originate from. Quite frankly though, I don't give a damn because I'm free to give my money to who I want. I don't lead people to believe I work with the charity or even partner with them. I do, however, tell them that their purchase helps support the relay.  

Steve