Martket Research & Starting Out

kdeckels

I read a thread on research, which I think mainly was talking about researching & reading online.  I'm wondering about locar area market research.

I'm thinking if I start out with just a few machines I could surely get them located & get a quick idea of if it's worth investing in more machines.  Off the top of my head, I can think of the local laundromat, a new hotel is going up, & a brand new discount store.  If I venture 40 miles away to a decent size town (which we do frequently to shop), the opportunities would grow immensely. 

I know market research & business plans are important, but at the level I would start this business at, it wouldn't be capital intensive.

Any thoughts?

The nearest decent size town is 40 miles away???  How many potential locations are available in your town? 

You could try to get the locations you mentioned to get a feel for the business and see how you like vending.  I would go after the laudromat first.

Brian

Potential locations where I live would be limited.  We are a rural community, & as I said, the town about 40 miles away we visit often & would seem much more productive.  Several new eating establishments, several laundromat's, several new hotels, community college, home depot, etc.......

Right off hand, I would say in the town I live in the potential with some work on locating would be maybe 10.  I am not only trying to think of locations, I am trying to think of "profitable locations".  I guess I could slowly build to 10 locations & after a 6 month period if I'm not seeing the profitability I expect or want move the locations to my not so local town.  When I say it's about 40 miles away, that doesn't really take into account that that is where we do most of our shopping, so service calls & maintenance could be performed during this time.

As I said, we visit the town 3 to 4 times per month anyway. 

I think I'll start with Hugs Not Drugs charity, probably start out with a few singles, & a nice looking double to go in the new hotel.  Now I just need to run across a good deal for a lot of machines on ebay.  Start out with gumballs, & learn more as I go.