In the Crane Business

I am very excited!

I am now in the crane vending business.

I will be ordering for 4 crane machines for existing accounts. I will be ordering them in the next couple of week and placing them by the first week of June.

I will keep you guys up to date on this new adventure.

Gary

Steve,

You can't go away for a minute. This place is always hopping!

Gary

Yea! Thats a good thing. Like you, I am working on a new side project. It has really sucked away a ton of my time.

Steve

My cranes are coming in tomorrow. I will be placing them next Monday. I am going to play around with them for a couple of days before they are placed. Cranes are new to me but like everything else, I will learn very quickly how to operate them.

I spent this weekend placing 47 bulk set ups in BBV. I rented a truck for 3 days and placed all of them. What a job that was.

I have one I am using this weekend at a USSD Karate Studio open house. It's a two day event so that will help me find out if they work correctly.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gary,

Good luck on your venture.  I also run cranes in my vending route, and find them to be a good part of the business.  Who is helping you locate these cranes?  Anyone worth trying out here on the east coast?

Thanks,

Solon

Hi Gary,

I run Smart Cranes, Toy Chest.  Pizza places, and laundrymats are good for me.  Trying to convert some of my single head gumball locations, and solicit new business, but it's been tough.  Seems like they think it's a scam maybe... Been getting One location per day when I have time to locate.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.. 

Can you offer any pointers for success at getting them to say yes more often?  Frustrating pounding the pavement for 6 hours each day out here in Boston and only get 1 location..  Maybe I need to offer up front money to get more progress?  Any advice is much appreciated.  If I could get a good locator to help me out, I'd hire them in a minute..  Ethical locators has been anything but good when I tried them out..

Thanks,

Solon

Solon,

I have never used a locator nor would I ever us a locator. I have been a salesperson almost 40 years and I do all my own locating. I have to tell you that 1 find per 6 hours is not that bad. I know the feeling but that's how it works. There are a couple of things that are very important. What I did in the beginning and still do is target certain locations that I really want to get in and visit them over and over until they finally say yes. Persistence is the key! You talk to them a little the first and second time you stop in, than you stop back again and ask them for their business. Then you stop by again if necessary. All the good locations I have where done this way. Once you have the accounts you give them the best service they have ever had. Especially the accounts that have told you that they don't like vending because of one bad story or another.

When you know that an account is really going to be good, you have to offer commission sometimes. You don't have to do it everywhere but be prepared to say yes to some of the big hitters.

Once you have accounts for a few months you should be able to determine if they are good enough to have more than one machine. I started 50 accounts with triple head machines and doubled up in many of them as time went on. You can see from my avatar one of the accounts that I have done that with.

You have cranes in very nice locations. They must do pretty well. Are you giving them anything? (commission)

Hope some of this helps.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you very much for your kind advice!  It sounds like thats what I may have to keep doing.  When you say offer them commissions, I assume you meant to say "Upfront" Commissions, right?  Because the only way I can get in is with offering regular commission of say 30 or 35% with cranes..  But, it sounds like you're saying offer upfront commissions..  Maybe, $100 cash upfront for the first month would work ok?  Sorry for all the questions, just trying to be sure i'm doing the right things.

Thanks,

Solon

No, Solon. I mean regular monthly commission based on sales from your machines. I don't like paying upfront money. It's always best to pay commission based on sales performance. It really increases the accounts interest in doing more business with you. They will give you the best location in their business. They will call you when the machine is low on product or is out-of-order. It's amazing what commission can do.

Don't worry about asking questions. That's what we are all here for.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry I forgot to answer your other question earlier.  I do pay commission.  30, sometimes 35% if it's a good location.  What do you typically pay on commission? 

By the way, this is a great vending board, and I'd like to thank Mr. Casseri for taking the time to build and moderate this.  Unbelievable job!  I haven't posted too much here since I joined a few months ago, because I first wanted to get to know the forum a little more and feel comfortable.  Thanks Gary for your comraderie.  Hope to meet you and everyone else here at an upcoming show in Vegas!  You're lucky, because those shows are so easy for you to get to..  It's a hike for me..lol!

Thanks,

Solon

Solon,

Welcome to our community. I remember you and your great posts from the old VT. It's pleasure to have you here. Please introduce yourself in the welcome section when you get a chance.

Steve

Thanks Pusherman!  Look forward to exchanging with everyone here.  Good group and a great looking board.  A model for all the other boards to follow after really.

Solon